Lady Vols Softball

Cindy ball Malone who is at UCf and has already worked for the new AD. It would be a big mistake to bring back Karen by herself. Bad for recruiting as she has a zero personality!
recruiting is why we are here now and today was another step backwards. Karen will be back to my understanding unless she decides to step away or Ralph’s health. But this weekend may be a crossroads moment for her and the future of the program. She’s earned to stay but may choose to walk away because this isn’t a one year fix.

I'm stealing this list from @Majors who posted this in another thread on this topic a few weeks ago.

Asst. Coach Aric Thomas - Florida
HC- Gerry Glasco- Louisiana
HC - Marissa Young - Duke or Asst. Josh Bloomer - Duke
HC - Valentino- UConn
HC- Joe Guthrie - UAB

I would also add in Jennifer Rocha (associate HC and pitching coach at OU, formerly at Florida), Loren LaPorte at James Madison, Piper Ritter at Minnesota and Jessica Allister at Stanford.
After what LaPorte did in Knoxville this weekend you can’t argue.

Correct. It could be that they just don't have the resources to complete with the best. If that's true, it's White's job to help them get those resources. once fully resourced, it's their job to win. This is White's first spring here. I'm guessing he is on the job, figuring out what to do with the "minor" sports to get them fully resourced.

What?? Surely you jest or you are ignorant of UTs athletic budget. They have the resources. They have the facilities. They aren’t getting it done.

What?? Surely you jest or you are ignorant of UTs athletic budget. They have the resources. They have the facilities. They aren’t getting it done.

Sure about that? You might be right, as far as I know. Here's what I don't know: What is our softball budget compared to Florida or Alabama or UCLA? And, just as importantly: What quality of leadership has been provided to the Weeklys from the AD over the years, and in the most recent years?

And what resources had Karen not had????

I don't know if she hasn't had what she needs. I don't know what her budget is compared to the big girls in WCSB. If you do please let us know. But I am guessing through these dark years of football that the AD's attention has been there, and probably not with the Weeklys with respect to needed leadership. I could easily be wrong there, but it seems logical to me given the horrid leadership we've had the last decade or more in th athletic department and beyond.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
I don't know if she hasn't had what she needs. I don't know what her budget is compared to the big girls in WCSB. If you do please let us know. But I am guessing through these dark years of football that the AD's attention has been there, and probably not with the Weeklys with respect to needed leadership. I could easily be wrong there, but it seems logical to me given the horrid leadership we've had the last decade or more in th athletic department and beyond.

Recruiting classes have been good to great meaning they have the resources. Marty was seen coast to coast, scouting and recruiting. The budget, resources etc have been provided. Not sure the football teams lack of success has really impacted the softball teams ability to win when our recruiting classes have been good on rankings.

They may be lots of home runs today but the ball was not traveling this weekend. I know pitching was better but I don't remember one ball going out to dead center or right. Only line drives to left and left center. Yes there was little to no wind but the ball was carrying better when it was 45 degrees than 85+ degrees which makes me wonder was the NCAA using a deader ball. They sure were guarding them this weekend.

Last edited:
Ivy and Amanda have both said they're back. Not sure about Ashley Morgan, but somebody around the team said she was returning, too.

No names is a good policy-- but I could see a handful of players asked to move on.
These are 3 of our best players, if they’re coming back, that’s great for next year!

I missed the player in the dugout having fun with the camera down two against Liberty.

That is the issue and maybe the mindset of the team. There is a time and place to be loose and a time to check in even as a bench player.

Reactions: LA Vol and Tnphil
Some posters here forget that coaches don’t play softball. Players do. They want to do well. They try hard. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. This weekend, they ran out of steam. Put yourself in the place of a JMU fan. Saturday afternoon, their team couldn’t hit Rogers either. It was just that one 3-player sequence: hit batsman, walk, home run. That was the difference. It was a close game. Later. Liberty just took advantage of an injured, tired pitcher. Series over.

There is no reason to throw over two Hall of Fame coaches with a proven track record. They were still 16th in the nation in a field of 300 teams. They produce teams which win consistently. Careful what you wish for. Or did you want football coach Phil Fulmer gone, too? That didn’t work out so well.

The LVs have pitching troubles. Those began with the unexpected departure of Caylan Arnold, then Rogers’ injury. Turner was thrown in the deep end. One or two prospects didn’t work out. Maybe the transfer portal is the answer. Maybe that new six foot pitcher will be effective. Maybe Bender can learn another pitch. Rogers’ index finger will probably be a chronic problem. If they want her at full strength for the playoffs, they need a reliable second starter. Second base is a problem. The coaches seemed to have lost confidence in Parsons, but she partially redeemed herself in post-season. Maybe she can get her confidence and consistency back. Maybe Fox can improve her hitting; she is a fine fielder. Or maybe someone new. But otherwise, they seem in good shape. They need to replace LF and 3rd base, at the least. But defense continues to be a strong point, especially if Morgan and Ayala return. And, without putting too find a point on it, the LVs are all in shape, unlike some of the opposing players we saw this weekend. That gives them endurance, flexibility, defensive ability and adds a base-stealing capability. Credit the Weeklys for recruiting and conditioning such players.

So don’t despair for the LVs. They should be fine. And never forget how good their SEC competition is. If a team is ranked 16th and can still only muster a 50-50 record, that says something about how tough their schedule is.

Some posters here forget that coaches don’t play softball. Players do. They want to do well. They try hard. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. This weekend, they ran out of steam. Put yourself in the place of a JMU fan. Saturday afternoon, their team couldn’t hit Rogers either. It was just that one 3-player sequence: hit batsman, walk, home run. That was the difference. It was a close game. Later. Liberty just took advantage of an injured, tired pitcher. Series over.

There is no reason to throw over two Hall of Fame coaches with a proven track record. They were still 16th in the nation in a field of 300 teams. They produce teams which win consistently. Careful what you wish for. Or did you want football coach Phil Fulmer gone, too? That didn’t work out so well.

The LVs have pitching troubles. Those began with the unexpected departure of Caylan Arnold, then Rogers’ injury. Turner was thrown in the deep end. One or two prospects didn’t work out. Maybe the transfer portal is the answer. Maybe that new six foot pitcher will be effective. Maybe Bender can learn another pitch. Rogers’ index finger will probably be a chronic problem. If they want her at full strength for the playoffs, they need a reliable second starter. Second base is a problem. The coaches seemed to have lost confidence in Parsons, but she partially redeemed herself in post-season. Maybe she can get her confidence and consistency back. Maybe Fox can improve her hitting; she is a fine fielder. Or maybe someone new. But otherwise, they seem in good shape. They need to replace LF and 3rd base, at the least. But defense continues to be a strong point, especially if Morgan and Ayala return. And, without putting too find a point on it, the LVs are all in shape, unlike some of the opposing players we saw this weekend. That gives them endurance, flexibility, defensive ability and adds a base-stealing capability. Credit the Weeklys for recruiting and conditioning such players.

So don’t despair for the LVs. They should be fine. And never forget how good their SEC competition is. If a team is ranked 16th and can still only muster a 50-50 record, that says something about how tough their schedule is.
Just like all other UT sports. We should be happy to just be there right? Sorry don't buy it for sports like these we are traditionally good in. Just like basketball we have not just let the rest of the league catch up they have passed us by

I’ve always assumed Tennessee softball has as deep a well of resources to draw recruits in with as any other program, but I do wonder if that’s actually true. Are the number of full-ride scholarships available the same for every D1 Power 5 conference program? How many partial schollies? Do we have enough scholarship money to sign enough big-time players to get back to strongly competing for championships again, or are some players having to turn us down because some other program can give them more money?

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Guys, what is the true backstory behind Arnold changing uniforms? I'm sure it has been discussed before, but there is not a lot to talk about now, so what happened to her here.
Unconquered_Caylan-Arnold-1140x1186.jpg

Reactions: Volfan1000
Guys, what is the true backstory behind Arnold changing uniforms? I'm sure it has been discussed before, but there is not a lot to talk about now, so what happened to her here.
Unconquered_Caylan-Arnold-1140x1186.jpg
I always thought she didn't want to be second fiddle....Don't know that for a fact. She, judging by her facial expressions, always looked unhappy here.

I’ve always assumed Tennessee softball has as deep a well of resources to draw recruits in with as any other program, but I do wonder if that’s actually true. Are the number of full-ride scholarships available the same for every D1 Power 5 conference program? How many partial schollies? Do we have enough scholarship money to sign enough big-time players to get back to strongly competing for championships again, or are some players having to turn us down because some other program can give them more money?
We have one advantage with the hope scholarship and others in state. We have not done the best job over the last few years recruiting in state as the talent in state has vastly increased in recent years.

Reactions: LA Vol and Majors
I always thought she didn't want to be second fiddle....Don't know that for a fact. She, judging by her facial expressions, always looked unhappy here.
She needed a new place as I said a few weeks ago for her the person more than the player. She was micromanaged inside the game and for her TN was not a good fit outside of playing for the hometown school.

We have one advantage with the hope scholarship and others in state. We have not done the best job over the last few years recruiting in state as the talent in state has vastly increased in recent years.
We have as much to offer as any other place we compete against. Keeping in-state kids helps free up for those out of state kids that may need extra money on the table.

Reactions: kregman

VN Store

Back