Lady Vols Softball

Ivy was not even in the senior ceremonies so she almost certainly coming back. Amanda and Morgan too unless things change. Let’s be honest without naming names there is a lot of dead weight on the pitching staff.
I would have liked to see if kiki get a shat at pitching...

Ivy was not even in the senior ceremonies so she almost certainly coming back. Amanda and Morgan too unless things change. Let’s be honest without naming names there is a lot of dead weight on the pitching staff.
I would have liked to see if kiki get a shat at pitching...

Ivy and Amanda have both said they're back. Not sure about Ashley Morgan, but somebody around the team said she was returning, too.

No names is a good policy-- but I could see a handful of players asked to move on.

Honestly, as bad as this season ended, nothing will ever top 2009, when freaking Jacksonville State came out of the loser's bracket to beat us twice on Sunday to advance to the SR ... only to be no-hit twice by Alabama. That was a horrible season, and Cat Hosfield was spent by the time postseason rolled around (sound familiar?) and we had zero consistency in both the circle and at the plate. We made the WCWS the next season, but we also got one of the best recruiting classes in program history the next season with Ivy Renfroe, Raven Chavanne and Lauren Gibson. That class really revived the program after two miserable seasons post-Abbott. There's no players coming in like that for the foreseeable future, hence all the frustration.

Can't recruit with one year left...it's decision time now. Sign her to a multi-year or let her go .
Let her go. How can anyone think things will improve to the point they need to? Just prolonging the slide. This program needs to go in a different direction now.

It would be a black eye on the school and its athletic department to just unceremonially dump a coach(es) that have been here 20 years . You just don't do that for the sake of your program and your ability to hire other coaches. Plus, it is just not the honorable or right thing to do.

With one year left on their contract, their new boss should work with them to improve their program. If they can't improve, then maybe don't renew. But thye should be given a visible chance to succeed.

I don't really have that much of an issue with Karen staying. I've always thought that tactically she was the much better coach, although I've heard story after story about how she's the hard ass of the two and how players have more trouble relating to her. Her strength as a coach for years was developing slappers, which is a breed that's on life support in today's game, if it's even still alive. BUT, people change over their coaching careers, and if they can't replace Ralph with a great coach who can recruit and teach hitting, it's all for nothing.

WTBS, Ralph needs to go and it should've happened a few seasons ago. From what I've been told he's basically been a figurehead for a few seasons now, which isn't good considering he's taking the spot of someone who could actually be coaching the players.

Honestly, as bad as this season ended, nothing will ever top 2009, when freaking Jacksonville State came out of the loser's bracket to beat us twice on Sunday to advance to the SR ... only to be no-hit twice by Alabama. That was a horrible season, and Cat Hosfield was spent by the time postseason rolled around (sound familiar?) and we had zero consistency in both the circle and at the plate. We made the WCWS the next season, but we also got one of the best recruiting classes in program history the next season with Ivy Renfroe, Raven Chavanne and Lauren Gibson. That class really revived the program after two miserable seasons post-Abbott. There's no players coming in like that for the foreseeable future, hence all the frustration.
Actually Pickens class has a number of good hitters and her but it won’t help next year.

Actually Pickens class has a number of good hitters and her but it won’t help next year.

We've had a lot of "good hitters" come in from HS. Gibson was an elite hitter in HS that picked us over UCLA, Oklahoma and Alabama. Chavanne picked us over Michigan and Arizona State (ASU had just won the NC when she committed), and was the leadoff hitter for the OC Batbusters. We need players like them, Aubrey Leach and Meghan Gregg -- i.e. players that are elite and can go virtually anywhere, but choose to come here. Just having a team full of good hitters that mostly hit line drives isn't going to cut it. For the love of God I wish we could get a hitting coach. We've never been a consistently good hitting team vs. good pitching. We rack up stats vs. the cupcakes and then struggle vs. good team and in conference.

I don't really have that much of an issue with Karen staying. I've always thought that tactically she was the much better coach, although I've heard story after story about how she's the hard ass of the two and how players have more trouble relating to her. Her strength as a coach for years was developing slappers, which is a breed that's on life support in today's game, if it's even still alive. BUT, people change over their coaching careers, and if they can't replace Ralph with a great coach who can recruit and teach hitting, it's all for nothing.

WTBS, Ralph needs to go and it should've happened a few seasons ago. From what I've been told he's basically been a figurehead for a few seasons now, which isn't good considering he's taking the spot of someone who could actually be coaching the players.
He is basically sadly a mascot at this point. Give him some softball title in the ad (Lord knows there is plenty of dead weight there) and go out gracefully but it is time if you have the best interest of the program. I’m fine giving Karen at chance to be full head coach if she is willing to play modern softball.

Karen was solo HC this year in all but title. Marc worked with hitting. Recruiting could be more challenging without Ralph. The family feel they projected was very effective, especially on the West Coast. But the Tennessee brand has already slipped there so it may not matter as much.

Reactions: kregman
Karen was solo HC this year in all but title. Marc worked with hitting. Recruiting could be more challenging without Ralph. The family feel they projected was very effective, especially on the West Coast. But the Tennessee brand has already slipped there so it may not matter as much.

Winning would likely help heal that.

Reactions: LA Vol
Danny White needs to sit down with Karen and ask her what is her plan to return the program to being elite. She needs to be specific on a plan to make the next 5 years better than the last 5. These coaches built this program but they don't have the right to stay around long enough to watch it crumble. If she can't answer the tough questions, she shouldn't be allowed to continue. If she can openly identify the problems, what has caused them and has a realistic plan to solve them, then give her a chance. But I would only add 2 years to the one she has left to prevent a huge buyout. If she turns it around, then sign her to a longer deal. If not, see ya.

Danny White needs to sit down with Karen and ask her what is her plan to return the program to being elite. She needs to be specific on a plan to make the next 5 years better than the last 5. These coaches built this program but they don't have the right to stay around long enough to watch it crumble. If she can't answer the tough questions, she shouldn't be allowed to continue. If she can openly identify the problems, what has caused them and has a realistic plan to solve them, then give her a chance. But I would only add 2 years to the one she has left to prevent a huge buyout. If she turns it around, then sign her to a longer deal. If not, see ya.
Recruit a pitcher and run her off. Recruit hitters that don’t get coached. Have a top 5 recruiting class and underperform. That’s the Weekly plan.

And White needs to do his part and give her the resources she needs to execute the plan that they end up agreeing on.

I’m actually kinda curious, if ralph and karen do step away who would y’all want as replacements?

I'm stealing this list from @Majors who posted this in another thread on this topic a few weeks ago.

Asst. Coach Aric Thomas - Florida
HC- Gerry Glasco- Louisiana
HC - Marissa Young - Duke or Asst. Josh Bloomer - Duke
HC - Valentino- UConn
HC- Joe Guthrie - UAB

I would also add in Jennifer Rocha (associate HC and pitching coach at OU, formerly at Florida), Loren LaPorte at James Madison, Piper Ritter at Minnesota and Jessica Allister at Stanford.

VN Store

Back