Worst single play

2015 Florida game. We have them like 4th and 16 all we have to do is hold them and we win. Nope they score a td on a 4th and 16. play. That play still sticks with me. The swamp drought ends if we come up with that one stop..
I was there and this gets my vote.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Gaffney no catch was definitely mine. There was a 4 year run there where UT outplayed Florida culminating in the 2001 win at the swamp. We outplayed Florida in 2000 and the refs took it from us. That single play is one of the most shocking plays for me. I remember standing there with my mouth wide open, just staring at the TV for what seemed like hours after the game. Just completely dumbfounded by what I just saw.

I had the same reaction to the 2015 TD at florida but that one didn’t hurt like to Gaffney no catch.

Over the years, many UT fans have revised this play in their minds to suggest UT had that game won, but for that play. Florida was winning that game, period. That play happened on 2nd down from the 3 yard line. Florida had just scored but it was called back due to a phantom call (which nobody ever talks about). If the Gaffney play doesn’t happen, Spurrier and Florida had another chance to score, and knowing Spurrier, he likely would have also gone for it on 4th down to try and score. Florida would have quite likely scored with two more shots from the 3, or, they could have kicked the chip shot FG to take the game into OT with all the momentum.

Bottom line, even if that play was called incomplete, UT’s chances of winning at that point were very low. This was far from a “if not for a bad call we win” deal. Besides, he caught it. 😉

Not a heart crushing play but one that just makes you embarrassed was that funky Nathan Peterson play against UF. Do you guys remember that? I think it was a fumble and he broke his hand or something

That was the worst UF-UT game ever, a complete blooperfest. 😂

Peterson was flailing around, Florida was snapping balls off the QB’s facemask and tripping each other on the way to the end zone, both teams were hapless. They should have canceled that game at halftime, called it a no contest, and brought in the circus clowns for entertainment.

Peterson was flailing around, Florida was snapping balls off the QB’s facemask and tripping each other on the way to the end zone, both teams were hapless. They should have canceled that game at halftime, called it a no contest, and brought in the circus clowns for entertainment.
That was the weirdest first half I've ever seen

#1. Gaffney no catch by far is my #1.

#2 Mt. Cody FG block at Tuscaloosa, literally snatching our victory and throwing it into the jaws of defeat in one play. Those Vols deserved better that day from the football Gods IMO.

#3. JG's massive screwup trying the sneak against Bama, fumbling, and that turned into a TD the other way. He literally swung the game 14 points against the Vols on one bonehead play recorded forever in history.

I cant remember.... didn't Daniel Lincoln miss one earlier in that game that was un-blocked but just short ? The one the blocked he hit Cody in the man boob ?

Last edited:

What year was this? I wanna go see if I can find any clips lol

Over the years, many UT fans have revised this play in their minds to suggest UT had that game won, but for that play. Florida was winning that game, period. That play happened on 2nd down from the 3 yard line. Florida had just scored but it was called back due to a phantom call (which nobody ever talks about). If the Gaffney play doesn’t happen, Spurrier and Florida had another chance to score, and knowing Spurrier, he likely would have also gone for it on 4th down to try and score. Florida would have quite likely scored with two more shots from the 3, or, they could have kicked the chip shot FG to take the game into OT with all the momentum.

Bottom line, even if that play was called incomplete, UT’s chances of winning at that point were very low. This was far from a “if not for a bad call we win” deal. Besides, he caught it. 😉

Did you perhaps attend the old Jose Marti school in Moscow back in the Soviet days? The spin the above post took us through was masterfully written as if from a professional editor of Pravda.

Did you perhaps attend the old Jose Marti school in Moscow back in the Soviet days? The spin the above post took us through was masterfully written as if from a professional editor of Pravda.

Привет мой друг

Reactions: Plecoptera
LSU. too many men on the field.

you can pretty much mark down the 2002 florida game as the worst game in tennesseee history tho. could NOT snap the ball to save our lives. it is a cloud of shame that still hangs over my head.

Now you all get to tear up with me. I cannot tell you how much grief I caught after this game. My ass still hurts. Great thread OP.

i am having heart palpitations revisiting this game. So hurtful it was wiped from the history books. Probably the downfall.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
Pigs fumble through the endzone
13 men on the field
Clausen I think it was “trying” to throw out of the endzone
It was Erik Ainge against LSU. He was being spun down by a defender and he tried to underhand it, and it was intercepted for a TD. But, we came back and won that game, in OT.

So many to choose from. The ones that stick out to me are: the Memphis return for TD when everyone thought he was down and scored, the Hail Mary/Deep RD vs Florida a few years ago. That loss really killed momentum, and Ainge in the end zone vs LSU. Those plays all hurt, but really were embarrassments.

What was the game where Ainge tried to throw it away out of our own end zone and instead threw a pick 6?

If I'm not mistaken, it was against LSU and he was benched for Rick Clausen. Pretty sure Clausen came in and led the comeback victory for us. I even think Clausen had some ties to LSU and it made the comeback even better. if I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

VN Store

Back