I-40 Bridge In Memphis

I don't get closing the river to barge traffic. The bridge doesn't seem likely to collapse, and it could have been in this condition for months. Hopefully tug operators can still navigate without running into the piers. Just seems like the typical bureaucratic kneejerk reaction - they have to be seen as doing something - "managing the situation". Maybe they'll just paint the piers and put fancy lights on them so the tugs will be sure to miss them - or be attracted by flashy things.
Barges accidentally hit these bridges all the time. Probably just being cautious.

Mayor Strickland: Repairs for I-40 bridge could take Months, not weeks

image59.jpg

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland says it could be months before repairs are complete on the I-40 bridge.

Authorities closed the Hernando Desoto Bridge after an inspection found a crack that requires investigation. It’s unknown when the bridge will reopen, but on WREG’s Live at 9 Wednesday, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said he spoke with state leaders and TDOT Commissioner Clay Bright for about 45 minutes Tuesday evening.

Bridge-2.jpg

Mayor Strickland: Repairs for I-40 bridge could take months, not weeks

if that's a crack I wonder what a break would look like

NM...late to the party again

Reactions: AM64
This country is crumbling beneath our feet. Pipelines, bridges, broken supply chains (microchip shortages)...

Very interesting times we live in.

A lot of people don’t even notice because they are so busy and have to be somewhere in the next 30 mins . I promise if more people looked up and around every time the went under an overpass ... there would be an uprising about about how unsafe and in disrepair our nations overpasses are . I wait to hear about so horrific collapse every day , I have for years though .

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
A lot of people don’t even notice because they are so busy and have to be somewhere in the next 30 mins . I promise if more people looked up and around every time the went under an overpass ... there would be an uprising about about how unsafe and in disrepair our nations overpasses are . I wait to hear about so horrific collapse every day , I have for years though .
Even Trump said he was scared to go over bridges. Even Trump said that all pot holes in roads needed to be fixed.

Even Trump said he was scared to go over bridges. Even Trump said that all pot holes in roads needed to be fixed.

If trump ever had to drive in Detroit or Buffalo in the winter he would have shut those cities down just to fix the “ pot holes” or what I like to call .. front end adjusters . Lol

Numerous reports issued in recent years stated that there are THOUSANDS of bridges throughout the U.S. that are in URGENT need of repair.

Numerous reports issued in recent years stated that there are THOUSANDS of bridges throughout the U.S. that are in URGENT need of repair.

Anyone that doesn’t believe this should just get on I-81 and head north , they will be shocked at what they see when going under overpasses . There are several I could give examples of , but 81 is bad .

Mayor Strickland: Repairs for I-40 bridge could take Months, not weeks

image59.jpg

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland says it could be months before repairs are complete on the I-40 bridge.

Authorities closed the Hernando Desoto Bridge after an inspection found a crack that requires investigation. It’s unknown when the bridge will reopen, but on WREG’s Live at 9 Wednesday, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said he spoke with state leaders and TDOT Commissioner Clay Bright for about 45 minutes Tuesday evening.

Bridge-2.jpg

Mayor Strickland: Repairs for I-40 bridge could take months, not weeks
Looks like a design issue to me. Or poor material.

Did the new Madrid fault do some quaking lately and damage the bridge?
Modern activity
The largest NMSZ earthquake of the 20th century was a 5.4-magnitude quake (although it was reported as a 5.5 at the time) on November 9, 1968, near Dale, Illinois. The quake damaged the civic building at Henderson, Kentucky, and was felt in 23 states. People in Boston said their buildings swayed. At the time of the quake, it was the biggest recorded quake with an epicenter in Illinois in that state's recorded history. In 2008 in the nearby Wabash Valley Seismic Zone, a similar magnitude 5.4 earthquake occurred with its epicenter in Illinois near West Salem and Mount Carmel.

Instruments were installed in and around the area in 1974 to closely monitor seismic activity. Since then, more than 4,000 earthquakes have been recorded, most of which were too small to be felt. On average, one earthquake per year is large enough to be felt in the area.

If trump ever had to drive in Detroit or Buffalo in the winter he would have shut those cities down just to fix the “ pot holes” or what I like to call .. front end adjusters . Lol
I think he did drive in Detroit, and mentioned about the bridges there.

VN Store

Back