I-40 Bridge In Memphis

If only there was an infrastructure bill out there
Everyone would agree to such a bill. Now let’s decide what is and ISN‘T said infrastructure.
Bridges, roads, airports, aqueducts, power grid, harbours, rail, dams? All fine
Anything else? Put it in its own dang bill!!!!

Reactions: AM64
After working in a heavy industrial plant for 35 years, you ain't seen sh!t if that disturbs you. I've seen much bigger and thicker beams broken like toothpicks.
Not familiar with this bridge but that looks like the bottom chord of a truss. Trusses are supposed to be stronger than beams. And not only do you have a clean break, but there is some vertical delta there too. Never did structural failure analysis but the vertical separation makes me think sheer failure. Being steel it would have shown signs. I am thinking somebody missed some signs.

Of course it included a lot of other stuff:

The bill pours more than $300 billion into repairing bridges and roads, $130 billion into schools that educate low-income children, more than $100 billion into building or preserving affordable housing and $100 billion into expanding broadband internet access. Republicans oppose the legislation, which also includes a host of measures aimed at fighting climate change, and the White House has said President Trump would veto it if it came to his desk.

As we used to say, $300B actually dedicated to infrastructure out of a $1.5T "infrastructure bill was mighty white of them.

Being steel it would have shown signs. I am thinking somebody missed some signs.

Drive along I-40 East near the 101 connector and I-55 North between Shelby Drive and I-240 and you will see EXTREME TDOT neglect. The interstates dont look like that anywhere else in the state. Since TDOT is partially responsible for the bridge upkeep....

Memphis deserves a lot of the grief it receives but the way the state govt completely sh-ts on them is ridiculous

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Not familiar with this bridge but that looks like the bottom chord of a truss. Trusses are supposed to be stronger than beams. And not only do you have a clean break, but there is some vertical delta there too. Never did structural failure analysis but the vertical separation makes me think sheer failure. Being steel it would have shown signs. I am thinking somebody missed some signs.
Well, since the prime workaround for the pipeline shutdown was trucking fuel, and we have just shut down the largest major Highway crossing of the continents major River between New Orleans and Saint Louis, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?
I-55 and Helena will not be able to handle that throughput
6146B390-0DC3-421D-BC40-28C6C2CA7336.gif

[VIDEO=]
Drive along I-40 East near the 101 connector and I-55 North between Shelby Drive and I-240 and you will see EXTREME TDOT neglect. The interstates dont look like that anywhere else in the state. Since TDOT is partially responsible for the bridge upkeep....

Memphis deserves a lot of the grief it receives but the way the state govt completely sh-ts on them is ridiculous
I would like to know how TDOT makes use of private subs, relies on regional oversight, and what it expects counties and cities to contribute (financial and labor).

What do you mean by this?

I mean all of this happening in short order including the renewed upheaval in the mid east isn't accidental. May not ALL have been coordinated but when 1 thing happened there was an opportunity to take advantage and cascade.

Sure would be nice to have some idea how big that piece actually is - and where you find the replacement. AND if there are any other similar locations with similar indications - or what makes this one unique.

[VIDEO=]

I would like to know how TDOT makes use of private subs, relies on regional oversight, and what it expects counties and cities to contribute (financial and labor).

I know for a fact that local elected officials and business leaders have lobbied TDOT to repair those two sections of interstate for at least a decade.

I have kept Discount Tire in business with all the tires I've lost to potholes on interstates in Shelby County

I know for a fact that local elected officials and business leaders have lobbied TDOT to repair those two sections of interstate for at least a decade.

I have kept Discount Tire in business with all the tires I've lost to potholes on interstates in Shelby County

Maybe Discount Tire is paying legislators more not to fix the potholes. There's always money to be made in politics ... one way or the other.

Reactions: McDad
Of course it included a lot of other stuff:

As we used to say, $300B actually dedicated to infrastructure out of a $1.5T "infrastructure bill was mighty white of them.

I just find it amazing that things that are agreed upon can’t actually be passed. The two sides agreed on over $630 billion in actual infrastructure but couldn’t complete the bill because of the partisan extras. Meanwhile, America suffers.

Reactions: LouderVol and AM64
Screenshot from local news website but it can't be blown up as far as I can see.

1620847507328.png

I-40 bridge in Memphis could be closed for months, TDOT says

perkinsbr4w.jpg

Perkins Rd Bridge Collapse In Memphis 1980. One Death

APRIL 3, 1989 12 AM PT

COVINGTON, Tenn. —

Divers on Sunday pulled four more bodies from a murky, rain-swollen river, where at least seven people died when a 50-year-old U.S. highway bridge collapsed about 50 miles north of Memphis.

Authorities said they had found a tractor-trailer rig and four cars that plunged into the river when a large chunk of the two-lane roadway fell 25 feet into the river Saturday night. Three of the bodies were recovered Saturday night.

The Hatchie River, swollen by flooding rains, apparently eroded the concrete base of the bridge and caused the collapse, said Bill Moore, regional engineer for the state Transportation Department.

7 Bodies Recovered in Tennessee Bridge Collapse

Sure would be nice to have some idea how big that piece actually is - and where you find the replacement. AND if there are any other similar locations with similar indications - or what makes this one unique.
Large scale trusses like this are beyond my limited area of knowledge. But unless there was a defect the actual member itself should not be the fail point. And yeah if the whole bridge is designed as a 3d truss I wouldnt imagine it's only a single failure.

I just find it amazing that things that are agreed upon can’t actually be passed. The two sides agreed on over $630 billion in actual infrastructure but couldn’t complete the bill because of the partisan extras. Meanwhile, America suffers.

There really needs to be a huge rule change in congress - one item per bill. The bill passes on it's own merits or it doesn't; no sweeteners or poison pills, and definitely no other stuff added that could never pass on its own. Then when there's a real failure, you can track down which members of congress left the country out to dry, and which ones wasted money on garbage legislation they got through when they held power. Congress also needs to revert to votes requiring more than a simple majority to limit garbage legislation that diverts funding to unnecessary pet projects and bribe paybacks.

There really needs to be a huge rule change in congress - one item per bill. The bill passes on it's own merits or it doesn't; no sweeteners or poison pills, and definitely no other stuff added that could never pass on its own. Then when there's a real failure, you can track down which members of congress left the country out to dry, and which ones wasted money on garbage legislation they got through when they held power. Congress also needs to revert to votes requiring more than a simple majority to limit garbage legislation that diverts funding to unnecessary pet projects and bribe paybacks.

Line item voting

Reactions: LouderVol and AM64
Billy Mays probably has at least 1/2 dozen products that'd patch that up in 15 minutes.

Mayor Strickland: Repairs for I-40 bridge could take Months, not weeks

image59.jpg

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland says it could be months before repairs are complete on the I-40 bridge.

Authorities closed the Hernando Desoto Bridge after an inspection found a crack that requires investigation. It’s unknown when the bridge will reopen, but on WREG’s Live at 9 Wednesday, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said he spoke with state leaders and TDOT Commissioner Clay Bright for about 45 minutes Tuesday evening.

Bridge-2.jpg

Mayor Strickland: Repairs for I-40 bridge could take months, not weeks

VN Store

Back