Ideas for Stadium

When the stadium is full of volunteer fans and it's a close, big game there is a difference. It was as loud as I've ever heard against Oklahoma. Unfortunately BAMA and UF bring too many local fans - that give you an idea the difference of the loss of 10K Volunteer fans. If you don't/can't sell the tickets, they should donate tickets to the "local" (within 200 miles for a bus trip) youth football programs and expose some of the kids to what an atmosphere should be for college football....not just watch on TV.

Folks, the trend is very much heading toward smaller crowds in college football of late. Some have surmised that this youthful new generation simply has not the patience for sitting thru 3.5 hours of a game, and if they don't have wifi it is just not a place they want to go. Id think a tasteful way to drop the total attendance number down to a manageable level is headed our way. I suspect even if the Vols come back (and I think they will) attendance won't be as it was in our recent glory days. Just from my observations around college football.

It's not about "sitting for 3.5 hours." For better or worse our lives are filled with entertainment opportunities. Those of us with kids who play sports, Saturday's are often game days for the kids. Sports are entertainment, UT football is supposed to be entertaining; losing all the big games is not a lot of fun, but mickey mouse and the beach at Destin are undefeated so where do you really want to spend your money? I can spend $0 and watch the game in the comfort of my home for those 3.5 hours and avoid the hassles of going to the game, leaving a game, and all the cursing and nastiness of the fans.

Look around people. We have a nation that will pay $10 for door dash to go pickup their $10 latte from starbucks and drive it to their house. It's about comfort and convenience and whether you like it or not, that is the what UT needs to prepare for. It's not coming, it's here.

Reactions: coachjp6
When the stadium is full of volunteer fans and it's a close, big game there is a difference. It was as loud as I've ever heard against Oklahoma. Unfortunately BAMA and UF bring too many local fans - that give you an idea the difference of the loss of 10K Volunteer fans. If you don't/can't sell the tickets, they should donate tickets to the "local" (within 200 miles for a bus trip) youth football programs and expose some of the kids to what an atmosphere should be for college football....not just watch on TV.

No it doesn't. It gives you an idea of what happens when an overwhelmingly superior team comes in and steps on your neck and has the game out of reach by halftime.

Reactions: beachvol23
It's not about "sitting for 3.5 hours." For better or worse our lives are filled with entertainment opportunities. Those of us with kids who play sports, Saturday's are often game days for the kids. Sports are entertainment, UT football is supposed to be entertaining; losing all the big games is not a lot of fun, but mickey mouse and the beach at Destin are undefeated so where do you really want to spend your money? I can spend $0 and watch the game in the comfort of my home for those 3.5 hours and avoid the hassles of going to the game, leaving a game, and all the cursing and nastiness of the fans.

Look around people. We have a nation that will pay $10 for door dash to go pickup their $10 latte from starbucks and drive it to their house. It's about comfort and convenience and whether you like it or not, that is the what UT needs to prepare for. It's not coming, it's here.
I'll agree that the product on the field has been weak but I still enjoy the real thing, live with all the senses...and not just football.

Reactions: Smokey X
I've always wished we would just build a new stadium. You can never fully fix the seating problem without it. The stands are straight up and any new stadium leans back. And I'd make it a multi use venue. I just watched the nfl cardinals host a car auction at theres bc the field rolls out into the parking lot. I'd do concerts, car shows, car auctions etc, heck if you got enough money rent it out for a bday party during the off season.

I've always wished we would just build a new stadium. You can never fully fix the seating problem without it. The stands are straight up and any new stadium leans back. And I'd make it a multi use venue. I just watched the nfl cardinals host a car auction at theres bc the field rolls out into the parking lot. I'd do concerts, car shows, car auctions etc, heck if you got enough money rent it out for a bday party during the off season.

I can't ever see that happening. I don't think the university would be willing to take on the cost of such a project. Plus, the steep nature of Neyland's construction is a huge contributor to it's loudness. I don't EVER want to give up that advantage (once we are at point talent wise to compete again)!

Reactions: beachvol23
Give all renovation monies to baseball, softball and tennis....they have earned it

I can't ever see that happening. I don't think the university would be willing to take on the cost of such a project. Plus, the steep nature of Neyland's construction is a huge contributor to it's loudness. I don't EVER want to give up that advantage (once we are at point talent wise to compete again)!
More than likely not bc for some reason in college were committed to outdated old structures. But it's why I stay home and watch it in comfort. That place is the most uncomfortable place I've ever been

(1) Large screens facing out for tailgating and pregame entertainment
(2) Concessions stands facing out for Vol Walk and such. heck, concessions and food trucks throughout campus
(3) Said it before but renovating the old stadium halls into hotel space would be phenomenal
(4) Simply put, increasing the seating width on all bleachers
(5) I know the big money is in west and north but the east and south HAVE to be finally renovated.
(6) The closer one parks, the earlier you are required to get to the lot. No more driving up 30 mins prior to game and driving through crowds
(7) Uniformity. The stadium needs to be beige or silver. Not both.
(8) More official activities downtown. Let's spread the joy to areas just off campus.
(9) Floating stage on river. Pregame and postgame concerts. Can you imagine what entertainers would love to perform to such a large weekly crowd?

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
(1) Large screens facing out for tailgating and pregame entertainment
(2) Concessions stands facing out for Vol Walk and such. heck, concessions and food trucks throughout campus
(3) Said it before but renovating the old stadium halls into hotel space would be phenomenal
(4) Simply put, increasing the seating width on all bleachers
(5) I know the big money is in west and north but the east and south HAVE to be finally renovated.
(6) The closer one parks, the earlier you are required to get to the lot. No more driving up 30 mins prior to game and driving through crowds
(7) Uniformity. The stadium needs to be beige or silver. Not both.
(8) More official activities downtown. Let's spread the joy to areas just off campus.
(9) Floating stage on river. Pregame and postgame concerts. Can you imagine what entertainers would love to perform to such a large weekly crowd?

Those are all fantastic ideas!

I'm pretty sure the loudness of Neyland has more to do with the acoustics of that stadium, stemming from a steep enclosed construction than it does with the number of people in it. Now, granted, a half full Neyland isn't going to be as loud as a full Neyland. But I certainly don't think reducing seating capacity by a few thousand is going to move the needle in terms of how loud it is in that place. Look at Autzen Stadium (Oregon Ducks). It only seats 54,000 and it's considered one of the loudest stadiums in college football.
I went out there. Its loud, it isn't top 4 in SEC.

I went out there. Its loud, it isn't top 4 in SEC.

I'm sure it isn't. Of course, we're kind of spoiled in that sense as Neyland is considered one of, if not THE loudest stadiums in college football. Numbers aren't the only thing that contributes though. Bryant Denny seats 101,000. It's not that loud. I've been there. Those fans are bored as hell. I'd love to go to some of the other big stadiums in the country to compare like A&M, The Big House, Death Valley (the REAL Death Valley) at night, Happy Valley, Ohio State, Texas, etc. I still think the loudness of Neyland is more of a tribute to it's steep enclosed construction that traps sound in.

Have you been on campus in the past decade plus?
Yes. And for what ever reason academic buildings they like to knock down. Look around college sports. For some reason professional teams will replace them every 20 years while college keeps cobbling them up until the end of time

More than likely not bc for some reason in college were committed to outdated old structures. But it's why I stay home and watch it in comfort. That place is the most uncomfortable place I've ever been[/QUOTE]
You are a lucky man!

Yes. And for what ever reason academic buildings they like to knock down. Look around college sports. For some reason professional teams will replace them every 20 years while college keeps cobbling them up until the end of time

NFL plays twice as many home games and a couple of pre-season games for revenue every year. Only 32 teams are dividing the larger NFL TV $ vs 50-60 teams in the P5 conferences plus the other D1 mid majors and independents. Corporate naming rights for NFL stadiums, municipal bonds and taxes for new NFL stadiums, etc., etc. College football can’t compete with that even if they wanted to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wireless1
People would scream bloody murder, but the only way to pull that off would be to either find another location or go play home games in Nashville for a year.

Maybe that's because pro teams dupe local governments to pay for a new stadium/arena every 20 years. If teams had to build their own facilities, I suspect they would last longer than 20 years.

I'm sure it isn't. Of course, we're kind of spoiled in that sense as Neyland is considered one of, if not THE loudest stadiums in college football. Numbers aren't the only thing that contributes though. Bryant Denny seats 101,000. It's not that loud. I've been there. Those fans are bored as hell. I'd love to go to some of the other big stadiums in the country to compare like A&M, The Big House, Death Valley (the REAL Death Valley) at night, Happy Valley, Ohio State, Texas, etc. I still think the loudness of Neyland is more of a tribute to it's steep enclosed construction that traps sound in.
Well, I read it was designed to maximize the noise. Seems like we can improve it and provide some shade with a metal awning like the velarium of the Roman Colosseum around the upper deck.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Remove all the seating and let's scream our Vols to victory. If you wanna sit on your tush stay home....

People would scream bloody murder, but the only way to pull that off would be to either find another location or go play home games in Nashville for a year.
More than likely which is fine with me. What I would do is leave neyland play in it while building a new one and tear it down minus the original 100 yr old bleachers and leave it as a practice facility. We say theres no land available but there tearing down half the hood for the smokies so I'm sure they could find somewhere. I think for the money they've invested in neyland since 07 or whenever that major renovation started and what there wanting to sink into it now we could have had a nice state of the art facility

Reactions: Boca Vol

So you don't feel our younger generation's attention span is any factor in this? Think again

More than likely which is fine with me. What I would do is leave neyland play in it while building a new one and tear it down minus the original 100 yr old bleachers and leave it as a practice facility. We say theres no land available but there tearing down half the hood for the smokies so I'm sure they could find somewhere. I think for the money they've invested in neyland since 07 or whenever that major renovation started and what there wanting to sink into it now we could have had a nice state of the art facility

I posed the question on here a while back if fans would be interested in doing something like the Yankees did when they built the New, New, Yankee Stadium back in 2009 which looks very similar to the old stadium but much more modern.

I agree about the $$$$ spent on the stadium recently. IMO, it doesn't make sense to sink hundreds if millions into a 100 year old stadium that is used fewer than 10 times per year. The reason these new Billion dollar stadiums "sort-of" make sense is they host events all the time. Games, concerts, Monster Rally's, etc.

Reactions: Pruitt18

VN Store

Back