Ideas for Stadium

Folks, the trend is very much heading toward smaller crowds in college football of late. Some have surmised that this youthful new generation simply has not the patience for sitting thru 3.5 hours of a game, and if they don't have wifi it is just not a place they want to go. Id think a tasteful way to drop the total attendance number down to a manageable level is headed our way. I suspect even if the Vols come back (and I think they will) attendance won't be as it was in our recent glory days. Just from my observations around college football.
Saddening.

Folks, the trend is very much heading toward smaller crowds in college football of late. Some have surmised that this youthful new generation simply has not the patience for sitting thru 3.5 hours of a game, and if they don't have wifi it is just not a place they want to go. Id think a tasteful way to drop the total attendance number down to a manageable level is headed our way. I suspect even if the Vols come back (and I think they will) attendance won't be as it was in our recent glory days. Just from my observations around college football.
While the attention span of the teens, twenties and thirties might be a little shorter than those of us that’ll take a nap if things get boring, when we have teams that are playing at a highly competitive level and Neyland is rocking, you’ll have people of all ages lined up to get in. It’s like cocaine, if you’ve been there for a Florida or Alabama win......

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Add capacity in any way possible and get as loud as possible. We reduced capacity in the early 2000s and haven't been the same since.

Reactions: Border Vol
Not sure if there is a thread for this but AD Danny White is looking for ideas...

Build the first pedestrian only lounge, shops, etc... bridge as an entrance from South Knoxville to the Stadium. Stretch it to the RiverWalk.it will have views of the river from above the River. Charge rent.

Create more enclosed seating that isn’t a skybox etc.

Create a Uboat biz like Uber and shuttle people via River to Neyland for a cost.
I can’t help but wonder if they could build more sky boxes that have panoramic views on all sides.
Reduce capacity to about 80,000 so an actual sellout is plausible. Gives a more roomy atmosphere.

and charge 30% more for tickets

right?

You're 100% correct. I get that Tennessee has experienced great difficulty selling out Neyland in recent years (which stands to reason given that the Vols have been pretty awful while 2019 LSU couldn't even muster a single sellout in the midst of perhaps the greatest season ever), but the idea of spending money just to make your stadium smaller and charge fans even more to watch a struggling product just strikes me as absolutely insane.

Danny White needs to find a way to "start small" and get 90k+ attendance every game, whether that comes by way of cheaper season tickets or giving out free seats to elementary/middle school students and their families throughout East and Middle Tennessee. You simply cannot charge people more money for a lackluster product and expect to sustain interest in Tennessee football for generations to come.

The fact that the east concourse is still the same as it was when I went to school almost 50 years ago is mind boggling. It was garbage then with its necked down passage ways from bolt on concession stands. The rest of my university from then is practically gone (Presidential Court, Andy Holt tower, Stokely, Estabriok, etc). Yet the east concourse remains.

The fact that the east concourse is still the same as it was when I went to school almost 50 years ago is mind boggling. It was garbage then with its necked down passage ways from bolt on concession stands. The rest of my university from then is practically gone (Presidential Court, Andy Holt tower, Stokely, Estabriok, etc). Yet the east concourse remains.

The East and South ends are just horrible. Someone posted a pic of the Gate 10 ramp and it was a rust bucket.

The message board that rings face of the upper deck should stream game data and other games scores instead of static Toyota, and UT Health logos. And a Jumbotron on the north endzone

Finish concourse and exterior of stadium, 2 new video boards, retain as many seats as possible to stay above 100k

Reactions: vegasvolfan
I dont understand this "golden calf" of 100,000 seating capacity that so many think is so important. It's not relevant anymore folks. It's an arbitrary number that means absolutely nothing. Recruits could not care less. You think Clemson's recruiting is hurting due to their "paltry" 81,000 seat stadium? Or Georgia's "miniscule" 93,000? Oklahoma seats 86,000. Notre Dame only seats 77,000. Florida 88,000. All of which have far better programs than we do right now! I would much rather see us reduce seating capacity to make it a better GameDay experience than cling to some asinine bragging right that doesn't mean a hill of beans. Neyland would be every bit as loud at 85,000 as it is at 102,000.

I dont understand this "golden calf" of 100,000 seating capacity that so many think is so important. It's not relevant anymore folks. It's an arbitrary number that means absolutely nothing. Recruits could not care less. You think Clemson's recruiting is hurting due to their "paltry" 81,000 seat stadium? Or Georgia's "miniscule" 93,000? Oklahoma seats 86,000. Notre Dame only seats 77,000. Florida 88,000. All of which have far better programs than we do right now! I would much rather see us reduce seating capacity to make it a better GameDay experience than cling to some asinine bragging right that doesn't mean a hill of beans. Neyland would be every bit as loud at 85,000 as it is at 102,000.

And in reality, neyland already seats less than 100k anyways. Probably like mid 90’s or so. The 100k means nothing.

And in reality, neyland already seats less than 100k anyways. Probably like mid 90’s or so. The 100k means nothing.

Yep.

The 2 bowls in Neyland seat a little over 96,000. There are skybox seats to add to that. 102,455 is just a number to represent a sold out atmosphere. Fans, players, coaches, cheerleaders, press, concessions, EMS, police, custodial, etc.

Reactions: 615vols
Couldn’t agree more. Neyland is on the edge of becoming a crappy stadium in a lot of places.

I think the 100k is a pride thing with Vol fans.
Very few venues in any sport seat more than 100k.
We used to use it in recruiting to show how rabid our fan base.
if we drop to 80-90k, would our rivals use that against us in recruiting?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I think the 100k is a pride thing with Vol fans.
Very few venues in any sport seat more than 100k.
We used to use it in recruiting to show how rabid our fan base.
if we drop to 80-90k, would our rivals use that against us in recruiting?
Honestly don’t think anybody cares. We’re 2nd in the SEC. we could lose 10,000 seats and only fall to 4th or 5th.

There could be a mentally handicapped section reserved for when Alabama visits Neyland Stadium.;)

Considering the historical fact that many Tennessee fans still show up for games, buying into the promises of greatness to come never being fulfilled? We might as well make it 100% mentally handicapped seating.

Not sure if there is a thread for this but AD Danny White is looking for ideas...

Build the first pedestrian only lounge, shops, etc... bridge as an entrance from South Knoxville to the Stadium. Stretch it to the RiverWalk.it will have views of the river from above the River. Charge rent.

Create more enclosed seating that isn’t a skybox etc.

Create a Uboat biz like Uber and shuttle people via River to Neyland for a cost.
I can’t help but wonder if they could build more sky boxes that have panoramic views on all sides.
With attendance going down everywhere any new seats or boxes won't happen. The pandemic allowed folks to realize it's nice to stay home and watch games. Plus big donors paying for new sky boxes aren't coming back to a . 500 team .

The East and South ends are just horrible. Someone posted a pic of the Gate 10 ramp and it was a rust bucket.
There was a broken pipe in the south end zone concourse at the orange and white game. Had a small flood that my kid just had to splash through. I have know that area needed some work for years, but that was still kinda surprising. The building is an icon for Christ’s sake.

There was a time that our team was so good and exciting that many of our fans actually stood for entire games especially for SECgames.
Students stood yes, but in my life I've never seen people stand entire games in lower level south end zone or west sidelines and when you did you had many people yelling at you to sit down.

Ive heard many games in the past 10 years louder then any i ever went to in the 90s.
Agreed... the stadium still gets as loud as ever. It’s more about the acoustics of a vertical, concrete, double decked bowl than it is raw attendance.

Ive heard many games in the past 10 years louder then any i ever went to in the 90s.

I'm pretty sure the loudness of Neyland has more to do with the acoustics of that stadium, stemming from a steep enclosed construction than it does with the number of people in it. Now, granted, a half full Neyland isn't going to be as loud as a full Neyland. But I certainly don't think reducing seating capacity by a few thousand is going to move the needle in terms of how loud it is in that place. Look at Autzen Stadium (Oregon Ducks). It only seats 54,000 and it's considered one of the loudest stadiums in college football.

VN Store

Back