Mike Leach reflects on recruiting Josh Heupel

I didn't realize Josh played for Leach! No wonder he knows offense! Wow, many on VN wanted Leach hired over CORNBREAD (how would that have been by NOW?) , and It looks like we got his offense---at least. This is going to be FUN! Imagine Tennessee scoring 40! Ready! Yall know that to beat Tennessee, teams are going to have to Score 35+.

I didn't realize Josh played for Leach! No wonder he knows offense! Wow, many on VN wanted Leach hired over CORNBREAD (how would that have been by NOW?) , and It looks like we got his offense---at least. This is going to be FUN! Imagine Tennessee scoring 40! Ready! Yall know that to beat Tennessee, teams are going to have to Score 35+.

ESPN having MSSt ranked 8th says a ton about Leach and the coach he is.

Influenced by the Air Raid but after being fired at Oklahoma, Heupel visited Waco and studied Art Briles offense...which values and (extremely) effectively utilizes the running game. This offense is his variant on both systems.

Influenced by the Air Raid but after being fired at Oklahoma, Heupel visited Waco and studied Art Briles offense...which values and (extremely) effectively utilizes the running game. This offense is his variant on both systems.

The Baylor offense is my favorite and is being big in the SEC (UT, Arkansas, Ole Miss).

I still watch some of the old Art Briles games

Reactions: igotworms
His offense was a glorified run & shoot. Leach streamlined it and ran a better, more viable product.

His offense was a glorified west coast, not run n shoot. He took the west coast offense and adapted it from 21 personnel to 10

Stoops hired Leach at a time when the Big 12 was a smashmouth run oriented league. He picked Leach because Stoops said at his time at Florida, the UK offense was the most difficult to defend he had ever faced. In those early days of the spread there were huge splits in the O-line which added to the whole strategy of spreading the field. When OU came out in their first offensive possession in 1999 they lined up in the Wishbone but then shifted to 5 wide. It took OU fans a long time to adjust to the Leach air raid. Now, under Riley, it is a power running spread that combines the best of both schemes.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
His offense was a glorified run & shoot. Leach streamlined it and ran a better, more viable product.
Sort of . . . I've seen Mumme admit that they just ripped off the BYU playbook. Leach toyed with the line splits and that gave rise to coaches like Lincoln Riley and Dana Holgerson adding read option and then RPOs to the offense. One thing I just read that was funny was a player saying that what he liked about it was that it moves so fast and is so intense that there's no time for anybody to yell at the players anymore.

The one thing Briles did that was not only innovative but made it even harder for D's to defend was to put his wideouts well beyond the hashmarks almost to the sideline.

Reactions: Remy and butchna
The one thing Briles did that was not only innovative but made it even harder for D's to defend was to put his wideouts well beyond the hashmarks almost to the sideline.
And he fine tuned that offense at Stephenville High in Texas (home of Branndon Stewart). If they had better local talent, on a year to year basis, they would have never lost a game.

Sort of . . . I've seen Mumme admit that they just ripped off the BYU playbook. Leach toyed with the line splits and that gave rise to coaches like Lincoln Riley and Dana Holgerson adding read option and then RPOs to the offense. One thing I just read that was funny was a player saying that what he liked about it was that it moves so fast and is so intense that there's no time for anybody to yell at the players anymore.
I regarded that 80’s Lavell Edwards/Norm Chow BYU offense as a better version of the run & shoot. At least it netted a controversial NC.

I stick by my description. The West Coast affords for 1000 yard rushers. Hell, Bill Walsh used fullbacks!

Run n shoot is more vertical, has plenty of examples of 1,000 yard rushers, and involves more option routes.

If you speak to Leach or Mumme (I’ve had the opportunity to meet Mumme, his son Matt, and Riley at clinics), both will tell you about their hours spent studying BYU and their pilgrimages to BYU to meet with their staff.

The west coast verbiage is even preserved in the air raid verbiage with terms such as shallow and stick. Those are not plays in the run n shoot.

The main plays in run n shoot are y go and x choice are not part of the air raid playbook. Nor are half roll outs a major part of the air raid.

The air raid is just the spread version of the west coast.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Having a shutdown D is key for the spread to really win a lot of games. Saban and Swinney will let their OC go nuts if they know they can offset the risks the offense takes with a really, really strong D.

VN dwells on "who will be the QB" almost exclusively but our D currently won't be able to get enough stops to get that QB on the field enough to win. While even Saban has embraced that "offense wins championships"...... that's a damn easy statement to make with Bama's yearly very talented and extremely efficient defenses.

I love the spread and the excitement we'll see this year from the Vols but...... we're hurting for a defense to keep that offense on the field.

Run n shoot is more vertical, has plenty of examples of 1,000 yard rushers, and involves more option routes.

If you speak to Leach or Mumme (I’ve had the opportunity to meet Mumme, his son Matt, and Riley at clinics), both will tell you about their hours spent studying BYU and their pilgrimages to BYU to meet with their staff.

The west coast verbiage is even preserved in the air raid verbiage with terms such as shallow and stick. Those are not plays in the run n shoot.

The main plays in run n shoot are y go and x choice are not part of the air raid playbook. Nor are half roll outs a major part of the air raid.

The air raid is just the spread version of the west coast.
Plenty of examples? Name one. I know the Lions ran it, but Barry Sanders totaled up IN SPITE of the scheme. Who was running up the tonnage for the Houston Oilers...or Houston Cougars for that matter? Verbiage schmerbiage...that’s nerd clickbait. Call it all OMAHA if you want to, it’s all about the summary of the totality. The Run & Shoot and Mumme’s Air Raid were the same animal. Go long MF and if we have to...we’ll throw to that guy we label as a RB.

“I thought Josh always had a great command of the field, a great knowledge of the game. The other thing was he was really accurate. He did not have a strong arm, but he was real accurate.”

The Mike Leach QB summed up. Leach cares about accuracy more than anything else, because it's integral to his offense and he doesn't believe it can be coached.

Reactions: Vol Main
Don't know how he'll turn out at MSU, but saw this yesterday.
screenshot_20210427-132622_facebook-jpg.364835

I don't know why it is, but half the time when you see Mike Leach in a picture, his face looks photoshopped in.

And even sometimes in videos, too.

Heh.

Plenty of examples? Name one. I know the Lions ran it, but Barry Sanders totaled up IN SPITE of the scheme. Who was running up the tonnage for the Houston Oilers...or Houston Cougars for that matter? Verbiage schmerbiage...that’s nerd clickbait. Call it all OMAHA if you want to, it’s all about the summary of the totality. The Run & Shoot and Mumme’s Air Raid were the same animal. Go long MF and if we have to...we’ll throw to that guy we label as a RB.
It was the Houston Gamblers that really showcased the run and shoot.

Reactions: OllVol

VN Store

Back