Kim Mulkey leaving Baylor, Announced as Head Coach for LSU

Yes but those two years are the years Kellie needed to acquaint herself with top recruits. Kim already is in conversations with the 22,23,and 24 players she wants. Kellie didn't have any conversations with UT quality recruits when she started.

Who says Kellie didn't acquaint herself with top recruits in these past two years? How do you know she didn't? Just asking.

I hope Kelly rocks out and turns it around. I truly do. Any coach that can't take UT's name alone and sign top talent I don't know if they ever will or can win without it consistently. I mean Holly had a personality of a bucket of cement. She still was able to sign top talent. Its a red flag at the least, you gotta admit.

Our 2021 recruiting class is rated by 3 recruiting services at 9, 15, and 18, with our incoming players ranked differently by each service. This includes the drastic drop in rank by Kaiya Wynn, who went from around 23 in one service to 100 in another, or the class would be even more highly ranked. These players were pursued by many other schools. The class is Kellie’s first full recruiting class, done in a COVID year with many restrictions on contacting the players, and it is highly ranked, even though Kellie was competing against Coaches who have been recruiting certain players for years.

Kellie’s teams have won over teams of Muffet and Dawn, and almost won over Geno‘s team, while the opponents teams were full of 5 star players, and Kellie’s teams were not.

We have a transfer coming this year who looks really good, plus Kellie has just added 2 new esteemed assistant Coaches. The future is bright for the Lady Vols with Coach Kellie. GO LADY VOLS!!!

Not to rehash old news but we should ask ourselves the following:
What top five coach was going to come to Tennessee with Pat clearly fading and still serving in the emeritus role?
Who would want to follow the greatest WBB coach in history? (No one and I mean no one with half a brain would step into that scenario)
Who would want to usurp Holly whom Pat had clearly chosen as her successor.
We can certainly argue how long Holly should have stayed but whining about her getting the job in the first place is certainly revisionist history.
Yet someone with half a brain actually took the job.

Our 2021 recruiting class is rated by 3 recruiting services at 9, 15, and 18, with our incoming players ranked differently by each service. This includes the drastic drop in rank by Kaiya Wynn, who went from around 23 in one service to 100 in another, or the class would be even more highly ranked. These players were pursued by many other schools. The class is Kellie’s first full recruiting class, done in a COVID year with many restrictions on contacting the players, and it is highly ranked, even though Kellie was competing against Coaches who have been recruiting certain players for years.

Kellie’s teams have won over teams of Muffet and Dawn, and almost won over Geno‘s team, while the opponents teams were full of 5 star players, and Kellie’s teams were not.

We have a transfer coming this year who looks really good, plus Kellie has just added 2 new esteemed assistant Coaches. The future is bright for the Lady Vols with Coach Kellie. GO LADY VOLS!!!

U shouldn't be explaining this, because true fans should kn that she's doing a great job already.

Heh, if I were in a professional position as a head coach and Tennessee called me, it wouldn't even take 5 minutes, much less 10. Long enough to make sure they won't underpay and that the staffing costs will be covered. Maybe 3 minutes.

Lol

I love to see UT fans completely downplay this hire, as if it doesn't show how a competent AD actually runs things. This is a monumental hire for LSU without a doubt. Anyone that says otherwise is living outside of reality.

578p5u.jpg

The Lady Vols are still a perennial blueblood. The first blueblood of womens basketball. 9th which is really generous doesn't cut it. I'd put the class more around just outside the top 10. I get the relationships thing and that women's bb is way more competitive than it used to be. But the brand itself with any decent coach should be able to walk in and sign a class in the 7 to 8 range their first class. This second class definitely. Just ask yourself if Uconn, Stanford or Notre Dame fired their coach tomm. Next year do you think their class would be outside the top 10? I'm not saying she can't turn it around by winning and then start getting the big recruits. Barnes did it so it is possible. But it's a red flag that she isn't doing better than she is on the recruiting trail to date, giving the fact she has everything at her disposal. Fan base, financial backing, rich tradition, facilities. There isn't 10 other programs that can offer half that.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I hope Kelly rocks out and turns it around. I truly do. Any coach that can't take UT's name alone and sign top talent I don't know if they ever will or can win without it consistently. I mean Holly had a personality of a bucket of cement. She still was able to sign top talent. Its a red flag at the least, you gotta admit.
I think Holly ran the string out on elite recruiting for the LVs, and simultaneously the clock wound down on the LV brand as a sure fire recruiting tool. I was amazed how long Holly was able to snag elite, top 10 recruits in light of so many disappointing careers. The Jamie Nared Trail of Tears had to get pretty dang long before recruits started seeing the bus heading for the cliff. Now that they have, KJH is at a disadvantage. IMO the disadvantage of the recent failings cancels out past glory, at least in the mind of 20 year olds.

So far, Harper recruits the way Jolly played. Hard working, making the most of what;s available, steady but not spectacular. Gets dependable but not splashy results.

Hopefully, she or someone can add some spectacular player development, because virtually all her eggs are now in that basket. Makes sense that if she wasn't really going to play the portal for players she'd make some solid coaching upgrades.

Still wish we'd gotten a point guard.

Just ask yourself if Uconn, Stanford or Notre Dame fired their coach tomm. Next year do you think their class would be outside the top 10?
Depends. If they'd spent the better part of the last decade with their program in obvious decline while suffering repeated embarrassing loses, team dissention, fan unrest, dwindling attendance and a trail of elite recruits with disappointing careers, then yes, I think their class would be outside the top 10.

Surely you're not suggesting Geno getting fired tomorrow would leave anything resembling the dumpster fire Kellie inherited.

I don't believe the LV legacy holds anywhere near the sway for modern recruits us old timers like to think it does.

I think Holly ran the string out on elite recruiting for the LVs, and simultaneously the clock wound down on the LV brand as a sure fire recruiting tool. I was amazed how long Holly was able to snag elite, top 10 recruits in light of so many disappointing careers. The Jamie Nared Trail of Tears had to get pretty dang long before recruits started seeing the bus heading for the cliff. Now that they have, KJH is at a disadvantage. IMO the disadvantage of the recent failings cancels out past glory, at least in the mind of 20 year olds.

So far, Harper recruits the way Jolly played. Hard working, making the most of what;s available, steady but not spectacular. Gets dependable but not splashy results.

Hopefully, she or someone can add some spectacular player development, because virtually all her eggs are now in that basket. Makes sense that if she wasn't really going to play the portal for players she'd make some solid coaching upgrades.

Did they? Because Holly still got 3 AAs (Massengill, Zaay, Collins) and commitment from #2 Horston in her final year as a coach. I don't think she was slowing down with recruiting at all.

To the previous poster's point, I'm interested in testing out his theory with the new Baylor coach, and if they are able to successfully recruit immediately. My money is on "no", and that Kim is going to have more immediate recruiting success than whoever takes over her perennial top 5 program. I think, at least in WBB, the coach matters more than the school. If Geno took over for Kim at Baylor...and UConn wasn't able to hire one of the elites to replace him...the Huskies would sink faster than the Titanic.

Depends. If they'd spent the better part of the last decade with their program in obvious decline while suffering repeated embarrassing loses, team dissention, fan unrest, dwindling attendance and a trail of elite recruits with disappointing careers, then yes, I think their class would be outside the top 10.

Surely you're not suggesting Geno getting fired tomorrow would leave anything resembling the dumpster fire Kellie inherited.

I don't believe the LV legacy holds anywhere near the sway for modern recruits us old timers think it does.
If UConn fired Geno tomorrow and didn't replace him with a coach near his status, then I think the players would scatter out of Storrs faster than cockroaches faced with a bug bomb.

Did they? Because Holly still got 3 AAs (Massengill, Zaay, Collins) and commitment from #2 Horston in her final year as a coach. I don't think she was slowing down with recruiting at all.

To the previous poster's point, I'm interested in testing out his theory with the new Baylor coach, and if they are able to successfully recruit immediately. My money is on "no", and that Kim is going to have more immediate recruiting success than whoever takes over her perennial top 5 program. I think, at least in WBB, the coach matters more than the school. If Geno took over for Kim at Baylor...and UConn wasn't able to hire one of the elites to replace him...the Huskies would sink faster than the Titanic.
Uconn wouldn't find a coach to pay 500k a year. They would go out and throw 2.5 to 3 mill at a proven coach. If the LVs were able to consistently land top 5 going from Summit to Holly. I have no doubt in my mind that Uconn could do the same with their version of Holly.

Reactions: Border Vol

Maybe so, but these hires are the most encouraging results in some time. It seems to show she recognizes that recruiting has to step up a level or two. I’m impressed by the moves.

As I said, it was amazing Holly was able to keep hoodwinking, er, recruiting elites. I was amazed she got Horston, though less amazed halfway thru that career. The debacle seemed to only kick in w recruits after the terrible Westbrook bruhaha and Holly's firing. Whenever it happened, IMO Kellie was left to sell a program in complete disarray.

I agree, its definitely coach and program not school, bc why else would any 20 yr old choose 4 yrs in Waco or Storrs? (Unlike Knoxville of course.) All the more true now with all this mobility where players can easily follow coaches.

If UConn fired Geno tomorrow and didn't replace him with a coach near his status, then I think the players would scatter out of Storrs faster than cockroaches faced with a bug bomb.
Agree. Holly probably got longer to destroy the program post Pat because the players couldn't freely transfer back then. Nowadays it would go down faster than say, Mississippi State.

Uconn wouldn't find a coach to pay 500k a year. They would go out and throw 2.5 to 3 mill at a proven coach. If the LVs were able to consistently land top 5 going from Summit to Holly. I have no doubt in my mind that Uconn could do the same with their version of Holly.
Easy to say but there would have to be a coach out there worth your 3 million. I don't see one and I don't think UCONN would pay that much. They are losing money hand over fist.

VN Store

Back