Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all fairness to Evans, this dude didn't strike anyone as a 'look at me' personality, at least not publicly. This kid didn't even 'play the game' in regards to recruiting. Made his commitment, stuck to it. In fact was so quiet many of us wondered if he was still in the class. Hate to see this happen, but if he'd been wavering in his communication with the coaches I can see a situation where they felt it best to move on. Hoping there's no knock on effect in regards to Willis, or even D. Bailey.
I agree with your impression of him. The only thing that struck me was the weird tweet of his someone posted.

There are roughly 1500 players in or have been in the transfer portal this year. They all have a story but I would almost wager that 25% aren't getting the "love" they thought they were going to get when they we recruited. It has nothing to do with lack of effort in any case I'm sure. It should be a learning experience if nothing else about how, unfortunately, the real world works sometimes.

How do you expect someone to instantly turn around a decade long disaster, especially with so many starters transferring out? That makes no sense to expect an immediate recovery, nothing in life works that way.
An immediate recovery would be expecting to compete with Florida, Georgia, and Bama. I don't expect that. I do expect us to beat the rest of the east. We should still be better than them. Barring major injury, we should beat them. That should be an expectation. I stick by it. You can have lower expectations if you so choose, but we're still UT. We should be able to beat Mizzou, SCar, KY, and Vandy. We should be able to beat at least 3 out of our 4 OOC opponents next year. That's 7 wins. I think it a fair expectation.

1977? Wasn’t that a decade or more before you were born?
Hell, almost two decades.

Johnny and Phil were good recruiters, and the scholarship rules were so different back then, so I have to imagine all those rosters from 1977-2008 were better.

2013, 2014 and 2018 are in a serious competition with 2021 as the worst roster we've had, in my opinion.

The VN way, people already trying to talk themselves into Milton is Scam 2.0 and he is the man. Its not like he was tearing up the field at Michigan. Most of VN in the Milton thread thought he was terrible until they found out he in enrolled here. I personally dont think he is even better than what we have now. If Heupel is the QB whisperer that everybody thinks he is and so do I then he should be able to groom at least HB ,BM ,HH. By the way I dont even see a hint of Scam Newton in Milton.

Reactions: VolOld
An immediate recovery would be expecting to compete with Florida, Georgia, and Bama. I don't expect that. I do expect us to beat the rest of the east. We should still be better than them. Barring major injury, we should beat them. That should be an expectation. I stick by it. You can have lower expectations if you so choose, but we're still UT. We should be able to beat Mizzou, SCar, KY, and Vandy. We should be able to beat at least 3 out of our 4 OOC opponents next year. That's 7 wins. I think it a fair expectation.
Why do you think our team is better than all those teams? Because our program has more historical wins? Your expectations aren't based on logic, they're based on bravado and emotion. The players we have aren't unanimously better than the players they have. The attitude and culture of our players isn't better than their players, and those things take a lot of time to improve. You can be unhappy that our program and players aren't at a higher level than theirs, but it's illogical to expect them to be better simply because they were in the past. The fact is we aren't clearly, definitely better than all those, so expecting to win is conflating hope with reason.

Johnny and Phil were good recruiters, and the scholarship rules were so different back then, so I have to imagine all those rosters from 1977-2008 were better.

2013, 2014 and 2018 are in a serious competition with 2021 as the worst roster we've had, in my opinion.
Classic Kingston: make up the story to align with your opinion...:p:p:p

Why do you think our team is better than all those teams? Because our program has more historical wins? Your expectations aren't based on logic, they're based on bravado and emotion. The players we have aren't unanimously better than the players they have. The attitude and culture of our players isn't better than their players, and those things take a lot of time to improve. You can be unhappy that our program and players aren't at a higher level than theirs, but it's illogical to expect them to be better simply because they were in the past. The fact is we aren't clearly, definitely better than all those, so expecting to win is conflating hope with reason.
Yeah, I disagree. If you want to have low expectations, fine, whatever suits you. I don't share your opinion. I look at our roster compared to their rosters and still believe we have more talent to work with than they do. It's up to this staff to put that talent in a position to win. I've explained my reasoning. 7 wins is a reasonable expectation IMO. You don't have to share my opinion. It is what it is. I'm not gonna be all "woe is me" and ditch my Tennessee pride and/or make excuses to lose when we should succeed.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Why do you think our team is better than all those teams? Because our program has more historical wins? Your expectations aren't based on logic, they're based on bravado and emotion.

Composite talent rankings, to begin with. The inevitable Vegas line that will be set at 6.5 wins to end with.

We out recruit those teams every single season. Only in the Fall do our fans like to magically pretend we are years behind them. We've been behind those teams in coaching. And if Heupel loses to less talented teams, the same will be true.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Classic Kingston: make up the story to align with your opinion...:p:p:p
It's not like I'm unaware of Tennessee football history. 1992-2008 is non-negotiable. All those teams were loaded.

It could be easily argued that Majors first three rosters were just as bad as what we've been dealing with since roughly 2010. So maybe we could compromise on 1980-2008?

Composite talent rankings, to begin with. The inevitable Vegas line that will be set at 6.5 wins to end with.

We out recruit those teams every single season. Only in the Fall do our fans like to magically pretend we are years behind them. We've been behind those teams in coaching. And if Heupel loses to less talented teams, the same will be true.
Interesting. I think the Vegas line will be closer to 4.5.

I really wonder what would’ve happened if Yurcich hadn’t turned down Pruitt (leading to us hiring Chaney).
He would have been fired with all the other assistants when the allegations came out. No one survived that massacre. He was not gonna be able to prevent the cheating.

First, I was responding to Bass's comment about our DL in a couple of years being thin when I mentioned trusting Rodney Garner's ability to get some bodies in here that can produce (either via HS recruits or the transfer portal).

Second, if you believe what Austin Price has said Evans really hasn't been that solid because he's been going back and forth for weeks now. Take that for what it's worth.

And I wish the kid nothing but the best.
Missed the Austin Price updates. Never heard his name brought up in any attrition updates. Wasn’t arguing with you, just posting my take.

Reactions: pierce60

2010 and 2013.

2014 had about 10+ NFL players on the roster, although many were young. But 5 stars at several positions.

2018 had a pro player at almost every position, except QB and RB. Secondary was a bit of a mess but had freshmen Taylor and Thompson.

Strange takes.

Reactions: butchna
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back