Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a matter of opinion, I suppose, but we're going to be on dire scholarship numbers and the top 10% of talent on the roster left for the draft or the portal over the offseason.

Per ESPN FPI, we are 117th in the country in returning production - and that is off a team that went 3-7.
But that’s not taking into account talent rankings...only who Pruitt played.

I do believe this. I don't think all the problems last year were coaching - I think it was probably 70/30 coaching and poor roster construction/talent.

Starts and end with leadership. No development. No team chemistry. Coaches not getting along. The HC not overseeing his coaches which got us into trouble with AA. Your percentages are way off. We had and have talent just no development our QB's are a great example.

I think this is legitimately the worst roster we've had since Johnny came home in '77.

5 wins or above would feel, to me anyway, like Heupel is right on schedule.

No way. Revisionist history. Just look up Butch's first roster and starting lineup.

Edit: One name- Max Arnold started at safety (or at least had to play alot early).

Last edited:
Just a matter of opinion, I suppose, but we're going to be on dire scholarship numbers and the top 10% of talent on the roster left for the draft or the portal over the offseason.

Per ESPN FPI, we are 117th in the country in returning production - and that is off a team that went 3-7.
That 3-7 had nothing to do with JG or the coaching staff but is an indictment of the talent. Also, I didn't realize that Hooker and Milton were here last year? Different QB last year and this team doesn't go 3-7 anyway. I also didn't realize that we were playing an all SEC schedule again.

You're a guy who literally thinks we're only beating the 3 non conference cupcakes. Have you taken a look at Vandy and SC lately?

No way. Revisionist history. Just look up Butch's first roster and starting lineup.

Edit: One name- Max Arnold started at safety.
that was the slowest roster I've ever seen. The fact that Butch beat SC and Spurrier that year is a miracle nearly as impressive as raising someone from the dead.

I refuse to create a win expectation for Heupel's first year. Matt Rhule (Baylor) won 1 game his first year after the team won 7 the year before. Bobby Petrino (Arkansas) won 5 his first year after the team won 8 the year before. Both guys won 10 games by year 3 and vastly over-performed based on their level of talent after struggling at the beginning. I am just going to watch in year 1 and hope to see a modern offense. He walked into a raging dumpster fire that few other coaches with his upside would touch, I will give him a year to get the flames under control. My only expectations are effort and improved offense. We are stuck with him for a while regardless, no need to tar and feather the guy for not being able to turn a dumpster fire into gold in one year.
Yeah honestly this is uncharted territory. This years record is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is having a starting foundation and building relationships in recruiting

Reactions: VolByLaw

Josh Palmer and Trey Smith aren’t easy replacements. The rest are replaceable...and some of those replacements will be an upgrade, imo...QB, RB, C, OLB, ILB..

This is a ridiculous take. Someone doesn't remember the roster from 2013. Shoot, the roster in 2018 was worse. The worst roster since '77? You're absolutely insane if you believe that.

The Roster Dooley inherited after Kiffin's thugs left or got poached was pretty freaking terrible as well.

Josh Palmer and Trey Smith aren’t easy replacements. The rest are replaceable...and some of those replacements will be an upgrade, imo...QB, RB, C, OLB, ILB..
While Trey is definitely a special individual talent, I think our OL as a whole will likely be better going forward. That group got no development under the last staff. Wanya being the greatest example. Palmer will also be an easy replacement due to the much better offensive coaching and offense scheme. HT and Bryce are the toughest replacements. Especially since the guy prime to replace Bryce - Key - also bailed. Key was really the only guy I was upset to lose.

While Trey is definitely a special individual talent, I think our OL as a whole will likely be better going forward. That group got no development under the last staff. Wanya being the greatest example. Palmer will also be an easy replacement due to the much better offensive coaching and offense scheme. HT and Bryce are the toughest replacements. Especially since the guy prime to replace Bryce - Key - also bailed. Key was really the only guy I was upset to lose.

Gray, Crouch, Bennett also worth mentioning. Granted Bennett was gone no matter what, but he would have been our best returning pass rusher. Gray was grossly under utilized with previous staff having the biggest hard on for RBBC despite the talent gap that existed between Gray and everyone else.

I don't know if we'll have a stand out stud RB this first year, but I do think the positional group will as a whole account for more yardage this year. I still think people are really going to be impressed by Jaylen Wright and he may not even be the starter.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back