Happy when Dawn Staley is not

Are we going to dismiss her SEC regular season and tournament championships?
I couldn't tell you how many SEC regular season titles or SEC tournaments that Pat Summitt won. I only know that she won 8 national championships. Fans of top 5 programs don't keep track of those other things... unless they are trying to make themselves feel better about failing to win what really matters.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I haven't been a fan of a top 5 program in so long I don't remember what its like. All I know is if the Lady Vols had any championships in my recent memory, or please Lord, in the near future, I'm pretty sure I'd keep track.
Is the 2014-2015 season outside of your "recent memory"? Tennessee and South Carolina finished in a two way tie for the SEC Regular Season Championship that year with 15-1 conference records. That was just six years ago. In an above post you spoke of remembering the 2000 National Championship Game? It seems a little strange that you would remember a game from 2000, but not remember 2015?

Reactions: LadyVol1908
The question is how far back do the recruits remember? SEC regular season and tourney Championships plus a Final Four appearance this past season or half a regular season SEC Championship in 2015? Not to diminish the LV accomplishments at all and with all due respect unless they are already LV fans how many of today's recruits could tell you how many NCs the LVs have won?

Reactions: Poultrygeist
The question is how far back do the recruits remember? SEC regular season and tourney Championships plus a Final Four appearance this past season or half a regular season SEC Championship in 2015? Not to diminish the LV accomplishments at all and with all due respect unless they are already LV fans how many of today's recruits could tell you how many NCs the LVs have won?
That isn't giving current high school players enough credit. You don't have to have witnessed something firsthand to know that it happened. I never saw John Wooden's UCLA teams win any championships, but when I was in high school I knew that Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and Bill Walton had played for them... and I knew that they had won ten. I would contend that high school basketball recruits are well-informed about who has been historically strong and who hasn't. Now, does that make them more inclined to pick one school over another? No.... but to suggest that they wouldn't be well aware that Tennessee was a prolific champion from 1987-2008 is wrong.

... and trying to diminish the Lady Vols is exactly what you're doing, because you are the fan of a relative upstart with about 8 years of success... and only 1 national championship. So, of course, you don't want to believe that anything prior to 2014 matters.

Last edited:
Most South Carolina WBB fans wouldn't know that before joining the SEC they won their conference 5 out of 8 years with 3 tourney championships. Also made post season every year under P.P. Today that's ancient history and no one cares.

Most South Carolina WBB fans wouldn't know that before joining the SEC they won their conference 5 out of 8 years with 3 tourney championships. Also made post season every year under P.P. Today that's ancient history and no one cares.
No one cares because winning regular season conference championships and post-season conference tournaments has never been a big deal - even when that conference is a traditionally strong league, such as the SEC.

I frequently see South Carolina fans, like yourself, trying to convince the rest of us that women's basketball prior to South Carolina becoming nationally competitive is "ancient history" and nobody cares. That is a self-serving perspective. LSU fans during the Seimone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles years were the same way. Sorry... but women's college basketball didn't begin in 2013.

Oh the banners she can hang! Statues on the grounds!

Surely you know its only "sports hate". Of course its not personal. Its petty, jealous, irrational sports angst that feels so good, which is a big part of why we love sports and to talk about sports. It's not real. I don't pretend to have the first clue about the real Dawn Staley.

Real DS has definitely done all this, and deserves respects and benefits. But what does that have to do with this conversation?
Everything.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Point well taken, PS herself admitted her offensive approach needed retooling. She was more competitive than she was proud. She sought help. Honestly, I don't think she ever quite got there as a modern offense strategist before the too sudden ending. She had her challenges. She was human.
I remember that. She even spent time with Harry Peretta at Villanova to learn his offense. Not to proud to admit she could learn something.

Over 40 different schools win conference or tournament championships every year. Only one team ends the season with a win. Learn this lesson, grasshopper
We'll there are only 5 that win P5 conference championships. SC and UT are in one. UConn is not so I can understand why you don't count them. Oh and by the way SC has won the big one since Uconn has.

I remember that. She even spent time with Harry Peretta at Villanova to learn his offense. Not to proud to admit she could learn something.
She wasn't stubborn at all, and she was willing to take chances and mix things up when she needed to. She also consulted with Tex Winter (he coached under Phil Jackson with both the Bulls and the Lakers) on the triangle offense which she experimented with for a while... with mixed results.

Reactions: glv98 and mcannon1
No one cares because winning regular season conference championships and post-season conference tournaments has never been a big deal - even when that conference is a traditionally strong league, such as the SEC.

I frequently see South Carolina fans, like yourself, trying to convince the rest of us that women's basketball prior to South Carolina becoming nationally competitive is "ancient history" and nobody cares. That is a self-serving perspective. LSU fans during the Seimone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles years were the same way. Sorry... but women's college basketball didn't begin in 2013.

My only point was that SC fans don't live in the past. If we had more of a past and the present wasn't so good perhaps we would.

Last edited:
For the record Dawn stated this week she's not interested in coaching in the WNBA or any men's team. She's excited about the recruits coming in and says she has not promised anyone playing time. I would think that having 10 McDonald's All Americans is a good problem to have. Probably won't take a transfer although she's getting calls from parents etc. LeLe will decide if she wants to return for another year.
Didn’t Nick Saban say something similar...ijs...money talks and everything else walks.

Dawn isn’t leaving. She’ll stay in Columbia as long as they want her. She spoke on that today. College is where her heart is.

Look, Pat’s illness and death was a tragedy. But life moves on. Like it or not Dawn Staley is becoming one of the faces of NCAA WBB. She’s pushing for change. Dawn won’t allow the furor of the inequity of the tournament die down. It’s been fun to watch her journey since coming to SC.
I think this is why Dawn receives the hate she does...it’s not her, it’s the SC fans. Don’t come on a Tennessee board and say life “moves on”. It’s beyond disrespectful and so cavalier.

We'll there are only 5 that win P5 conference championships. SC and UT are in one. UConn is not so I can understand why you don't count them. Oh and by the way SC has won the big one since Uconn has.
It appears those comments about your short memory are true after all. Oh and by the way UConn has beaten SCAR since they won a championship or did that slip you memory. Oh, that's right UConn didn't beat Scar. It was the ball! A ball SCAR plays with more than 10 times every season.

You know you might want to wait until SCAR is at the level with Baylor, Notre Dame, Stamford in the championship count before you try to compare yourself to the big winners.

I can remember all the crowing about your baseball team's national championships. Not so much now huh. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

It appears those comments about your short memory are true after all. Oh and by the way UConn has beaten SCAR since they won a championship or did that slip you memory. Oh, that's right UConn didn't beat Scar. It was the ball! A ball SCAR plays with more than 10 times every season.

You know you might want to wait until SCAR is at the level with Baylor, Notre Dame, Stamford in the championship count before you try to compare yourself to the big winners.

I can remember all the crowing about your baseball team's national championships. Not so much now huh. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
NeedOrange I am thru sparing with you. Esp. on a non SC and non Uconn board. I don't care how many NCs Uconn has. I don't care what next "be all to end all" recruit Uconn gets. Time does march on whether we like it or not. As we like to say in the South Uconn will get their comeuppance eventually. Geno can't coach forever. Yes history often repeats itself whether we remember it or not and based on history things aren't looking too good for the Huskies when Geno steps down and that evitable fact draws nearer with each passing day. So enjoy whatever time you still have at the top.

NeedOrange I am thru sparing with you. Esp. on a non SC and non Uconn board. I don't care how many NCs Uconn has. I don't care what next "be all to end all" recruit Uconn gets. Time does march on whether we like it or not. As we like to say in the South Uconn will get their comeuppance eventually. Geno can't coach forever. Yes history often repeats itself whether we remember it or not and based on history things aren't looking too good for the Huskies when Geno steps down and that evitable fact draws nearer with each passing day. So enjoy whatever time you still have at the top.
🗣🗣🗣

200.gif

Yea!! Can this thread die now that everyone has had their say?

Despite the hate here, the future looks bright for Dawn. Returning all 5 starters and with the nation's top recruiting class coming in, South Carolina should again be a preseason top pick. The gamecock's biggest SEC challenge last season was A&M and they will be missing some key players for 21-22. All eyes should be upon 18,000 seat Colonial Life Arena in early 2022 when UConn has to play before a throng of Carolina faithful. Home court advantage once again returns to basketball.

Reactions: mcannon1
Dawn is good coach yes, and with top recruiting class coming in.... she will remain in group of teams at the top of WCBB..... but she will not distance her team as THE team.... she won in 2017.... and understanding that covid shook things up last year, she nonetheless did not win in 2018, 2019, 0r 2021. Winning a national championship is difficult.... and it looks like Stanford and UConn will be in the mix for the next few years. In WCBB you almost need a transcendant player, ala Candace Parker or Aja Wilson..... i wonder if Boston is going to take SC to the promised land next year.... I remember when Patrick Ewing was at Georgetown, with all the hoopla, he still won "only" one championship in 4 years there.

Parity in WCBB means dynasties may become a thing of the past. Look how many different teams have won the big one as of late. The difference between winning it all has come down to a single shot or one missed call. If a Boston team wins one natty SC fans would be more than happy.

VN Store

Back