Should UT voluntarily eliminate postseason with some 'ships to clean up NCAA mess?

volintheham

Back in God’s Country
Irregular poster, 90's graduate that has been watching this situation from afar since giving up season tickets in 2017. Hoping, praying, contemplated sacrificing first born (well maybe a limb) to see some progression back to the "good 'ole days".

All kidding aside, it seems that some programs have had some success with a plan to vacate some scholly's and postseason play to get ahead of sanctions imposed by the NCAA. Does any pragmatist/realist have faith that we can get any kind of substantial traction this season to even worry about a sacrifice of this nature? Admittedly, UT cut ties with the HC and some players (albeit for selfish intentions I'm afraid) so would this move even be warranted? Just interested to see the consensus of this board, but with McDonald's bags of cash to animal abuse, regaining institutional control with a sound proactive plan by our AD and compliance department makes strategic sense.

Irregular poster, 90's graduate that has been watching this situation from afar since giving up season tickets in 2017. Hoping, praying, contemplated sacrificing first born (well maybe a limb) to see some progression back to the "good 'ole days".

All kidding aside, it seems that some programs have had some success with a plan to vacate some scholly's and postseason play to get ahead of sanctions imposed by the NCAA. Does any pragmatist/realist have faith that we can get any kind of substantial traction this season to even worry about a sacrifice of this nature? Admittedly, UT cut ties with the HC and some players (albeit for selfish intentions I'm afraid) so would this move even be warranted? Just interested to see the consensus of this board, but with McDonald's bags of cash to animal abuse, regaining institutional control with a sound proactive plan by our AD and compliance department makes strategic sense.
Well, my question would be, if we gave up this season for a bowl game, and say that we win, then they don’t do anything then I say we just punished ourselves. What if they punish us in 2022-2023, and not 2021?

There is plenty of hard feelings for the Vols. They might drop the hammer as payback for all the times we broke their hearts in competition. They aren’t supposed to be biased, we weren’t supposed to be getting caught too.

Let the chips fall. Never give up on a chance to play by choice. Make them DQ us.

I would oppose anything resembling self-flagellation over previous administration sins. Just correct the problems substantively and show a seriousness about purging the bad stuff.
I can't imagine the NCAA is anxious to 'knock Tennessee down a few notches,' when they are already a beaten down basket case.

I think we are docking ourselves a few scholarships in the ‘21 signing class, and will ultimately sign less than 25 (including transfers), and will have less than 85 on scholarship this coming Fall. Just my speculation.

The NCAA takes forever, multiple years, to ultimately announce their sanctions. I think UT is planning ahead, so that when the NCAA announces their sanctions, we will hopefully have already taken most or all of the hit under the radar by self penalizing.

The above applies to scholarship and official visit reductions. A self imposed bowl ban is harder to speculate. Just guessing, I think UT will self impose a one year ban, this year.

Reactions: coachjp6
Does any pragmatist/realist have faith that we can get any kind of substantial traction this season to even worry about a sacrifice of this nature?

Do ya think the NCAA might take any bs moves like this in consideration? In other words, I bet they'd ignore any precautionary moves we made and come down on us harder. Better to do a Will Wade and give them the double fingers. They're a paper tiger anyway, spending most of their time kissing the azzes of Sweeney, Saban and the flavor of the season.

Something tells me that we don't need to worry about banning post season play this year. It would be a nice thing (post season play) to see happen.....But I don't see it this year. I see progress in the offense and 4 wins (which is better than last year) and hopefully a defense that can defend the slants.

I think we should voluntarily add six scholarships the next three seasons. Maybe we can trick the NCAA into increasing it to 12. lol

Reactions: rockytop36
It depends on whether the NCAA is buying UT's proactive approach in dealing with the previous AD and coaching staff. If UT has earned points and trust then an offer of self-punishment might work.

However... I wouldn't do it at this point. I would show what I had done to clean the Athletic Department up. I would lay out a detailed plan for preventing future violations that included 3rd party audits then make them say "it isn't enough".

At some point, the NCAA is going to have to stop discouraging programs from being self-policing.

I’m honestly amazed (in a bad way) that this investigation remains ongoing. I can only surmise this is due to it being conducted in concert with the NCAA in an effort to show complete transparency in hopes of a reduced set of punishments.

If not, this is a dereliction of duty by university leadership that only Vols fans could expect.

Hey, let’s wait to see if we make a bowl game first and then if we don’t like it, sacrifice it to the NCAA gods.

VN Store

Back