Should UT voluntarily eliminate postseason with some 'ships to clean up NCAA mess?

After what they didn't do to a program that had lost all sorts of institutional control for decades with Dean Smith's Tarheels, eff the NCAA. Let 'em know you'll pull a pr campaign that will burn their building down if they go to far astray with the penalties. Tell them what you will do as part of your self reporting, then drop the mic, and leave.

I say no to self-punishment. Seal what the Admin has already found (if possible) then make the NCAA dig and scrape to put together the pieces themselves. It'll take years for them to do anything and there's a good chance they won't learn the full extent of it. Missouri already proved that helping the NCAA does nothing but give them ammunition for free and doesn't buy you any brownie points when it comes to punishment. Make the NCAA do their jobs, find what they can find, and then take your lumps. I know we're the Volunteers, but sometimes it's best to keep your files shut and say "prove it."

The time for negotiating will come and hopefully the University will be well represented by a legal staff that knows how the game is played. Until then, admit nothing, adhere to plausible deniability protocol and remediate the damages to the least extent possible. If you offer up punishment, the NCAA can either laugh at how stupid we think they are if we low ball them or wonder what else we've got to hide if we make a substantial settlement offer.

Let lawyers do lawyer stuff...

Reactions: DSP and N.ohio vol
The time for negotiating will come and hopefully the University will be well represented by a legal staff that knows how the game is played. Until then, admit nothing, adhere to plausible deniability protocol and remediate the damages to the least extent possible. If you offer up punishment, the NCAA can either laugh at how stupid we think they are if we low ball them or wonder what else we've got to hide if we make a substantial settlement offer.

Let lawyers do lawyer stuff...
I'm all for jerking the NCAA around some but how does "plausible deniability" work after the university fired 3 coaches "with cause" and multiple staff and had a public press conference where the Chancellor and President said they were shocked at the violations?

Since negotiations with Pruitt's attorneys in his lawsuit might overlap negotiations with the NCAA over sanctions, we might actually be arguing we don't know anything to the NCAA while we're touting all the stuff we know in the Pruitt case.

And the winner is....... the lawyers.

Absolutely not. We need to follow the model that Alabama, North Carolina, and other big name schools have followed. You fight the NCAA tooth and nail at every turn, publicly blast the NCAA and put them on the defensive, and tie them up in paperwork. Along the way, make sure we hire a couple of former enforcement officials to be on our staff or at least represent us.

The NCAA has shown that whatever you give them, they will take more. They are not trustworthy nor are they fair. You can't negotiate or work together with people like that. You fight them and see who loses the fight.

Reactions: Remy and DSP
Well, my question would be, if we gave up this season for a bowl game, and say that we win, then they don’t do anything then I say we just punished ourselves. What if they punish us in 2022-2023, and not 2021?

Why the Hell not? This whole thing got started by throwing ourselves on the sword. Why break precedence?

I say no to self-punishment. Seal what the Admin has already found (if possible) then make the NCAA dig and scrape to put together the pieces themselves. It'll take years for them to do anything and there's a good chance they won't learn the full extent of it. Missouri already proved that helping the NCAA does nothing but give them ammunition for free and doesn't buy you any brownie points when it comes to punishment. Make the NCAA do their jobs, find what they can find, and then take your lumps. I know we're the Volunteers, but sometimes it's best to keep your files shut and say "prove it."
I’m all for saying the hell with NCAA, but the problem with that approach is that it can keep you in NCAA purgatory and other teams can use that against you in recruiting . I think we’ve gone too far down the rabbit hole with our self reporting .

I'd go ahead and skip this bowl season. I don't see us winning enough to go to any bowl of note. But then again my luck we would come out the gates and slap the entire sec around and be like Auburn the year they went undefeated for nothing.

I'm all for jerking the NCAA around some but how does "plausible deniability" work after the university fired 3 coaches "with cause" and multiple staff and had a public press conference where the Chancellor and President said they were shocked at the violations?

Since negotiations with Pruitt's attorneys in his lawsuit might overlap negotiations with the NCAA over sanctions, we might actually be arguing we don't know anything to the NCAA while we're touting all the stuff we know in the Pruitt case.

And the winner is....... the lawyers.

Firing 3 coaches with cause is based on what everybody knows. You don't think there are others that are implicated to lesser degrees (hopefully) that might also lend to the NCAA's final decision? I do. If we're going to throw ourselves on a sword, do we go for a flesh wound or straight to the heart?

The lawyers always win, but their job is to protect their client to the greatest degree possible. What you feel guilty about and what you are guilty of are 2 different things. It all comes out in the wash. Why prematurely affect that?

Firing 3 coaches with cause is based on what everybody knows. You don't think there are others that are implicated to lesser degrees (hopefully) that might also lend to the NCAA's final decision? I do. If we're going to throw ourselves on a sword, do we go for a flesh wound or straight to the heart?

The lawyers always win, but their job is to protect their client to the greatest degree possible. What you feel guilty about and what you are guilty of are 2 different things. It all comes out in the wash. Why prematurely affect that?
I wouldn't say "everybody knows" much about why Pruitt and Co were fired "with cause." The general public has heard that "serious violations occurred" and rumors and little more.

Sure, this is deeper than we've heard and I hope to Goodness UT admins know most, if not all, of the serious dirt. I further hope they didn't try to hide things from the NCAA unless they made dang sure it's hidden. THAT is how a program gets the Big Hammer...... hiding stuff and NCAA finds it later.

What we can be sure of is that Donde Plowman and Randy Boyd won't create more risk of getting themselves fired in all this. At this point, they'll not be part of hiding anything from the NCAA because there's absolutely nothing in it for them to risk their necks for the Athletic Department.

I look for our response to the NCAA to be whatever best covers the admin's hineys.

NO! If you want to see a mass exodus from the roster, make that announcement now. Practically every player with any opportunity elsewhere will leave. In addition you strap your new coach with the scholarship restrictions in future years. Meanwhile LSU is wide open with a filthy basketball coach and nothing is happening.

Tennessee has done everything they need to do for the time being. They completely cleaned house. They need to tell recruits they took action and dont expect further major penalties except maybe a few lost scholarships. If the NCAA wants to impose post season restrictions on Tennessee for the Pruitt cluster--ck, Tennessee needs to fight like hell in court just like Alabama, Auburn, flordia and LSU would.

Reactions: Remy and feathersax
We aren't going to be going undefeated anytime soon. I would take a 2 year post season ban with min schollies. In that time, hopefully Heupel can maximize talent and create an exciting team with a high flying offense that kids will want to play in. Since the post season doesn't really matter besides the CFP with the four teams, I think it would be a win for us. Until they expand the playoffs or add something for top 25 teams then I say we take our lumps while the gettin' is good

VN Store

Back