Least Likeable CBB Players by School

How do you determine how someone was an overrated college player? If you go by pro career you gotta go Sam Bowie right?
Nah, NBA future career would have no bearing. Just the college player whose hype was the most out of whack from their actual performance.

Nah, NBA future career would have no bearing. Just the college player whose hype was the most out of whack from their actual performance.
I’ll go with Damon Bailey from Indiana. Everybody loved that kid from the time he was in 8th grade and he never really was anything that great.

Edit: I call him kid and he’s 10 years older than I am.

Reactions: tntar heel
UNC
Tyler Hansbrough

UNLV
Larry Johnson

Gonzaga
Adam Morrison

Memphis State
Penny Hardaway

Really surprised I haven’t seen more JJ Redick... He’s a guy you only like in college if he’s on your team. He’s changed some in the pros though.

Why do you think he was hateable (besides being the face of Duke)? He's the reason I'm a casual Duke fan. I never hated Duke and kinda enjoyed them. When Redick was there, it wasn't exactly the glory years for Duke. He was a gangster. Opposing fans channeled all their Duke hate (and whatever else hate they had in their hearts) and put it all on Redick and he would welcome it and drop 30 on you in your place. He was a fkn killer and I respected the hell out of it. I didn't understand all the hate so I went the other way and joined the dark side.

Imagine being a blue-collar guy and playing with a shield like that? Most of the hate you would get was projected onto him and he'd perform. You'd want to play so hard next to a guy like that.

Why do you think he was hateable (besides being the face of Duke)? He's the reason I'm a casual Duke fan. I never hated Duke and kinda enjoyed them. When Redick was there, it wasn't exactly the glory years for Duke. He was a gangster. Opposing fans channeled all their Duke hate (and whatever else hate they had in their hearts) and put it all on Redick and he would welcome it and drop 30 on you in your place. He was a fkn killer and I respected the hell out of it. I didn't understand all the hate so I went the other way and joined the dark side.

Imagine being a blue-collar guy and playing with a shield like that? Most of the hate you would get was projected onto him and he'd perform. You'd want to play so hard next to a guy like that.
He was hateable for several reasons. Like you said 1:he was the face of Duke
2: He talked a lot of $hit
3: This will rub people the wrong way, but because he was white. And He was a white guy who talked a lot of $hit at Duke. Being an arrogant white guy at Duke is different than at most schools. I’m not trying make people uncomfortable, but it’s the truth. I think when you look like a large majority of a student body people will tend to be jealous of you more. I think that’s especially the case with Redick.
It pretty much started with Laettner. It then evolved into the guys like Chris Collins, Wojo and then onto JJ who seemed to love every second of it and was cold blooded. I mean, he told the owner of the Baltimore Ravens to go **** himself because he was heckling him at a Duke vs Maryland game. That takes some balls for a college Sophomore to do that. I do think it came close to a point where he didn’t like who he had become though . I’m pretty sure K had to talk him back off the ledge from quitting basketball... at least for a time.

It would’ve been interesting to see what Redick would’ve been like in this sort of social media age. Redick got popped with weed and I know of a few other instances where he was bailed out because of who he was. Grayson Allen on the other hand is largely hated because of 2 or 3 dirty plays on the court that didn’t result in any sort of injury, but off the court is the nicest guy you’d ever meet and actively participates in community events and visited kids in the hospital on his own accord at Duke.

Reactions: n_huffhines
He was hateable for several reasons. Like you said 1:he was the face of Duke
2: He talked a lot of $hit
3: This will rub people the wrong way, but because he was white. And He was a white guy who talked a lot of $hit at Duke. Being an arrogant white guy at Duke is different than at most schools. I’m not trying make people uncomfortable, but it’s the truth. I think when you look like a large majority of a student body people will tend to be jealous of you more. I think that’s especially the case with Redick.
It pretty much started with Laettner. It then evolved into the guys like Chris Collins, Wojo and then onto JJ who seemed to love every second of it and was cold blooded. I mean, he told the owner of the Baltimore Ravens to go **** himself because he was heckling him at a Duke vs Maryland game. That takes some balls for a college Sophomore to do that. I do think it came close to a point where he didn’t like who he had become though . I’m pretty sure K had to talk him back off the ledge from quitting basketball... at least for a time.

It would’ve been interesting to see what Redick would’ve been like in this sort of social media age. Redick got popped with weed and I know of a few other instances where he was bailed out because of who he was. Grayson Allen on the other hand is largely hated because of 2 or 3 dirty plays on the court that didn’t result in any sort of injury, but off the court is the nicest guy you’d ever meet and actively participates in community events and visited kids in the hospital on his own accord at Duke.

Yeah, IDC if you talk **** or get popped with weed. I care if you are dirty and tripping 3x is inexcusable. **** Grayson Allen. He might be nice in real life but he's an embarrassment on the court. It's not just the tripping. He acts like a dipsh!t again and again.

It's bizarre that he was transferring to TTU to play for Bobby Knight, of all people, until Knight got canned.

That kid might STILL be running for Coach Knight, though maybe Coach could've salvaged him.
That’s when choosing between Lubbock and Baghdad becomes a surprisingly difficult choice to make.

Yeah, IDC if you talk **** or get popped with weed. I care if you are dirty and tripping 3x is inexcusable. **** Grayson Allen. He might be nice in real life but he's an embarrassment on the court. It's not just the tripping. He acts like a dipsh!t again and again.

My God, he is such a bitch. I hadn't even seen this incident. The facial expressions/attitude after he does what he does is even more annoying. He is a 4-year-old in an adult's body.

It really is baffling to me how he can commit the same sort of stupid plays time after time knowing that there is a microscope on him . On top of the fact that it’s dirty, he’s gonna get retribution. Grant Williams probably wouldn’t, but I wouldn’t want to be on the wrong end of Grant Williams either.

It really is baffling to me how he can commit the same sort of stupid plays time after time knowing that there is a microscope on him . On top of the fact that it’s dirty, he’s gonna get retribution. Grant Williams probably wouldn’t, but I wouldn’t want to be on the wrong end of Grant Williams either.
The only logical explanation is that his tendency to do this is something deep-seeded within him because of enablement and protection that goes back many years, probably to when he was a kid playing ball. Duke definitely tried to enable it; it wasn't until after his 3rd trip that something happened to him, and it was just a one-game suspension. I think for so long he was used to doing stuff like this and getting away with it, or at the very least not getting retribution for it, and when he went to Duke/the NBA there is a spotlight on him for the first time and he's having trouble adjusting.

The "what did I do" attitude after he pulls this $hit, as unbelievable as it is, is probably a genuine expression of his emotion. He probably thinks that that stuff, while not being totally by the book, should be tolerated.

The only logical explanation is that his tendency to do this is something deep-seeded within him because of enablement and protection that goes back many years, probably to when he was a kid playing ball. Duke definitely tried to enable it; it wasn't until after his 3rd trip that something happened to him, and it was just a one-game suspension. I think for so long he was used to doing stuff like this and getting away with it, or at the very least not getting retribution for it, and when he went to Duke/the NBA there is a spotlight on him for the first time and he's having trouble adjusting.

The "what did I do" attitude after he pulls this $hit, as unbelievable as it is, is probably a genuine expression of his emotion. He probably thinks that that stuff, while not being totally by the book, should be tolerated.
I don’t think it’s just entitlement, enablement or protection. There are lots of kids that do dumb stuff repeatedly on the court and they eventually move on. He’s not dumb. He wasn’t coached by a dumb guy in college. If anyone is aware of how a person or program is viewed it would be K. I think we’ve all known someone at certain points playing sports who are ultra/pain in the ass competitive. Not Michael Jordan competitive where he’s obsessed with winning, but getting lost in the moment and becoming a complete bitch. He needs to be talking to a sports shrink to get that sorted out before he gets laid out or nobody wants to work with him.

I don’t think it’s just entitlement, enablement or protection. There are lots of kids that do dumb stuff repeatedly on the court and they eventually move on. He’s not dumb. He wasn’t coached by a dumb guy in college. If anyone is aware of how a person or program is viewed it would be K. I think we’ve all known someone at certain points playing sports who are ultra/pain in the ass competitive. Not Michael Jordan competitive where he’s obsessed with winning, but getting lost in the moment and becoming a complete bitch. He needs to be talking to a sports shrink to get that sorted out before he gets laid out or nobody wants to work with him.
Back in the day, someone like Mahorn would've fixed this problem child. Allen would be rethinking his behavior between his appointments with the plastic surgeon and neurologist.

Back in the day, someone like Mahorn would've fixed this problem child. Allen would be rethinking his behavior between his appointments with the plastic surgeon and neurologist.
Very true. It wouldn’t have been a thing before he even got training camp. It would’ve been known. Now, not so much.

How did I leave out Latrell Sprewell at Alabama?
Or
Melvin Turpin UK
Barry Goheen Vandy
Really? He is one my all time favorite non-Vols. Great clutch shooter... and he made Vandy fun to watch. Tennessee wasn't very good at the time, so it didn't bother me as much to see Vandy win.

VN Store

Back