The Andy Griffith Show

Quick story about George Lindsey.............

About 27 years ago, I was working in the bag-room at Opryland/Gaylord Golf Course. Lindsey played golf out there quite a bit. He would always say hello, call me by my first name, and give me $5 for cleaning his clubs and putting them in his trunk. One day, he was handing me $5, when I said very nicely, "Mr. Lindsey. If you would please say 'Judy, Judy, Judy' for me, you can keep that $5."

He said, very loudly, "My name is George F'ing Lindsey, NOT Goober. Don't you ever refer to me as Goober again," kept his five and drove off. Never spoke to me again........................:mad:

used to see him having lunch at the 4th Avenue Coffee shop in Nashville when Hee Haw was filming in the 1970's. In his later years he ate country ham breakfasts at the Country Cafe in Fairview pretty often, he lived in Bellevue at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf
My fav episode was "Man in a Hurry". You have to catch the right channel replays to see the last 1 minute segment of the episodes, which on some replays the advertisements take the time.
Hurry man sleeping in that chair with a peeled apple skin....
"There are people orbiting the Earth,.....and a town stops because two old ladies feet fall to sleep"...lol...Wonder what causes that?

My fav episode was "Man in a Hurry". You have to catch the right channel replays to see the last 1 minute segment of the episodes, which on some replays the advertisements take the time.
"There are people orbiting the Earth,.....and a town stops because two old ladies feet fall to sleep"...lol...Wonder what causes that?

Wish most towns could slow down like Mayberry on a Sunday...

Maybe I should see their doctor.....

Reactions: Orangeburst
The corporate office of the company I work for is in Mt Airy NC. It is the town that Mayberry is fashioned after and is Andy Griffith's childhood home town. It looks nothing like the TV town but it does have several of the shops that were on the show.

I love this show as long as Barney is in it. I don't do Howard episodes or that scab Warren.

Agreed. Once the show went to color it went downhill. The only color episode I like is, ironically, the one that Don Knotts guest stars in (the one where Andy visits him in Raleigh and they capture the grocery store robbers).

My favorite episodes are...

The Christmas Story
The Pickle Story
Barney's First Car
Barney's Sidecar
Fun Girls
The Clubmen

In my opinion the greatest television show in history. I’m a huge collector of vintage autographs and memorabilia from the show. Is anyone else on here a fan as well?

It's definitely top 5 for me. But there are other classic TV shows that I love just as much like All In The Family, Little House On the Prairie, Dallas, M.A.S.H., etc.

Man in a Hurry and Three Wishes for Opie were always my favorites. My favorite lines were:
“Ain’t you got a jack?” (Goober’s reaction to hearing the contents of the squad car trunk (a shovel and a rake))
“Where’s my plaque? Give me my plaque!” (Barney imitating Otis receiving his distinguished citizen award)

VN Store

Back