Roy Wliams retiring at UNC

Oats is a problem. Thank goodness he is at a school which could give a damn about basketball and a blue blood will, likely, come calling at some point. If he were at Arkansas, then I'd worry. Of course, they are going to be a problem under Musselman, too. He can coach. But, I'd rather have one of those dudes to worry about than the two of them.

Reactions: MoreSteam
Jay Wright would be near the top of my list IF he would consider leaving Villanova.

As for Stevens and Donovan, I’m not sure they’d have to put a lot of effort in recruiting to be successful at a high level. It’d be close to Saban level attraction for top players.

Wright is a Philly guy. Stevens has publicly said he isn't going to college, and Donovan actively looked for another NBA job. Gary Parrish has said for years that Donovan and Stevens love their offseasons and got burned out on recruiting.

Reactions: jarnol32
Wes Miller at unc Greensboro is awfully good. It doesn’t hurt that he played at unc.

That is an absolutely hilarious top 3 names for what is considered one of the 2 or 3 best jobs in college basketball. It’s something you’d expect to see from an AAC or Big East school, not UNC.

Like I said, staying in the family seems so dumb when you could have just about any coach you want. Talk about uninspiring choices. Stackhouse!?!

What's wrong with that list?

Co-signed by Bill Guthridge and Holly Warlick

Wes Miller at unc Greensboro is awfully good. It doesn’t hurt that he played at unc.
Meh. It took him a while to get things going and I wouldn’t say he’s really lighting it up considering the competition of the Socon.

Oats to UNC. Alabama basketball back to the cellar.
If Oats is smart, and he is offered, he better jump on that opportunity! No matter how much money he makes and how much fun bammer fan THINKS basketball is at the moment, he will always be 2nd fiddle in Gumptown.

Stevens, Oats and Wright would be my first 3 phone calls, if I were UNC AD.
GBO!!

All signs pointing to Hubert or Wes Miller. I think they’ll end up regretting that but we’ll see. I think there are far better coaches out there, and they’re stubbornness for “keeping it in the family” will cost them IMO.

Reactions: BreatheUT
A lot of people mentioning Oats, but he's got a buyout of 12 million.

UNC scoffs at $12 million buyouts if that’s all between them and their #1 target. This job hasn’t been open in 20 years.

Doesn’t sound like they want anyone that’s an established P5 coach though. Just an alum.

UNC scoffs at $12 million buyouts if that’s all between them and their #1 target. This job hasn’t been open in 20 years.

Doesn’t sound like they want anyone that’s an established P5 coach though. Just an alum.
Of course they've got the money, but not sure his track record or lack thereof could be justified when they can hire one of their own like they usually do.

Reactions: Zues1

All signs pointing to Hubert or Wes Miller. I think they’ll end up regretting that but we’ll see. I think there are far better coaches out there, and they’re stubbornness for “keeping it in the family” will cost them IMO.

How much you want to bet PC plays into this? Especially if Kenny "Crying" Smith is involved.

Last edited:
He's really not, though. 2 NCAAT bids in 10 years as coach. UNC can do infinitely better if they get out of the inbred mindset that they have to hire a "Carolina guy".

The idea that all we needed was "a Tennessee guy" is what led us to Fulmer as AD, which saddled us with three years of incompetent leadership on Rocky Top.

UNC is going to botch this if they decide it has to be a UNC alum. The pool of candidates is so deep right now. This is such an easy search to land a grand slam hire and going for Miller, Hubert, or Stackhouse would be like 4-putting a par 3 after landing the ball 5 feet from the hole.

He's really not, though. 2 NCAAT bids in 10 years as coach. UNC can do infinitely better if they get out of the inbred mindset that they have to hire a "Carolina guy".
Wow you are right, I had no idea he had been there for ten years. My bad for assuming. I thought he had only been at unc Greensboro a couple of years, and was going off this years team.

Reactions: cncchris33
The idea that all we needed was "a Tennessee guy" is what led us to Fulmer as AD, which saddled us with three years of incompetent leadership on Rocky Top.

UNC is going to botch this if they decide it has to be a UNC alum. The pool of candidates is so deep right now. This is such an easy search to land a grand slam hire and going for Miller, Hubert, or Stackhouse would be like 4-putting a par 3 after landing the ball 5 feet from the hole.

To play devils advocate and put out a Tennessee parody, what if they go outside their program and it blows up in their face kind of like the lane kiffin hire? I mean if Hamilton would’ve just promoted Cutcliffe Tennessee would of never entered the dark ages of the last 13 years.

To play devils advocate and put out a Tennessee parody, what if they go outside their program and it blows up in their face kind of like the lane kiffin hire? I mean if Hamilton would’ve just promoted Cutcliffe Tennessee would of never entered the dark ages of the last 13 years.
The problem w the Kiffin situation is that he was given a contract that was way too easy to walk away from. Also who’s really to say who is a Tennessee guy or who isn’t? I think Phil is all about Phil. Tennessee should be hiring the best people available.

VN Store

Back