Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

lol ok...but saying Barnes has 10 years left because K and Boeheim are still going is ridiculous according to you? Got it.
Youre talking about exceptions and not the rule. Bohiem will probably break the record and may hit 78 because he wants to be there until his son is gone. However after looking it up, 73 is the record right now. So he probably has 6 years left. Barnes contract ends in 2024 when he will turn 70. At that point I hope DW is smart enough to move on from Barnes wether he retires or goes somewhere else. So, yes at best I see Barnes having one most likely maybe 2 more shots to break through, I highly doubt it happens.

Youre talking about exceptions and not the rule. Bohiem will probably break the record and may hit 78 because he wants to be there until his son is gone. However after looking it up, 73 is the record right now. So he probably has 6 years left. Barnes contract ends in 2024 when he will turn 70. At that point I hope DW is smart enough to move on from Barnes wether he retires or goes somewhere else. So, yes at best I see Barnes having one most likely maybe 2 more shots to break through, I highly doubt it happens.
K is 74...I could see White tacking a 1 or 2 onto his contract as it sits, you usually don’t see coaches run their contracts out.

Reactions: Volfan1000
K is 74...I could see White tacking a 1 or 2 onto his contract as it sits, you usually don’t see coaches run their contracts out.
I won't argue that at all. Most coaches like to have that year or two to recruit so they can say they will be there next year. But I think it also depends on what the plan is moving forward, in this case I think you could pick a HCIW for the open spot then going into the last year announce Barnes is leaving and X Y Z is taking over there for you have staff continuity with the current roster and recruits know who will be there next year.

Dan wants no part of hiring a basketball coach right now. It is too soon for more upheaval in a major sport in the UTAD. What little money is laying around now is earmarked to retain Vitello (allegedly). Dan wants a couple of decent football seasons so there is an abundance of money to pursue the elite coaches for the basketball teams (allegedly).

Dan wants no part of hiring a basketball coach right now. It is too soon for more upheaval in a major sport in the UTAD. What little money is laying around now is earmarked to retain Vitello (allegedly). Dan wants a couple of decent football seasons so there is an abundance of money to pursue the elite coaches for the basketball teams (allegedly).

I really hope the bolded part is true, I think we have gold there. But its going to take new facilities sooner rather than later imo. Im also worried about what will happen when Van Horn retires.

Elite men and women's coach?

You are truly a troll. Saying Barnes would rather lose. A head coach at that. Get some help. There is help available. I feel sorry for you.
Explain how not playing him a single minute all season helps us win. I'll wait. Unless he threatened to murder someone, Barnes is the troll by not even letting him in for a minute when "he can play".

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Explain how not playing him a single minute all season helps us win. I'll wait. Unless he threatened to murder someone, Barnes is the troll by not even letting him in for a minute when "he can play".
I agree he could have and probably should have thrown him some minutes at some point throughout the season. But you have no idea how he practiced, what his effort was like everyday, how him playing would have impacted the team dynamics, etc... And neither do I. None of us really do. If he got in a game and got isolated/scored on every play cause he didn't care about the defensive side of the game, you'd be complaining about Barnes putting him in too.

So Barnes "trolling" might have just been his version of coaching, which you've already stated is apparently an embarrassment to Tennessee.

Reactions: speedy7539
For the record no sh** he's not trying to lose, it's called hyperbole. But not giving him a chance is ignorant when our offense was totally embarrassing half of the year. I don't understand it. You have insiders saying he can play. But you don't let him, at all, ever.

Doesn't add up.

For the record no sh** he's not trying to lose, it's called hyperbole. But not giving him a chance is ignorant when our offense was totally embarrassing half of the year. I don't understand it. You have insiders saying he can play. But you don't let him, at all, ever.

Doesn't add up.

He's got the 700 wins, and you don't. We don't need a record to know where you always stand.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

Doesn't add up.
Considering you have “Butch + Dobbs = Barnes + G Williams” under your name, don’t get mad when people take your most ignorant sounding posts at face value.

Reactions: Nighthawkvol10
It’s not hard to come up with a scenario where a talented player can hurt your team if they aren’t a fit. Admittedly I have no knowledge of the situation, but if he’s showing up late/missing meetings/workouts/practices while everyone else is busting their ass then putting that person in the game is hurting your team. It not only hurts the rest of your team’s effort and chemistry, but it completely destroys your culture.

Just look at butch jones letting certain players dictate their workouts as an example of how it can hurt a team and destroy a culture.

to the same level as talent he’s accumulated for next year’s team.

Recruiting is a huge part of coaching. So is hiring a staff. So is developing players. He has his methods on the bench and it doesn’t include drawing attention to himself, acting like a clown, or harassing officials. Sometimes the ball takes bad bounces. Sometimes teenagers and players in their early 20s aren’t able to be coached.

Not surprised that you’re throwing shade on a coach that’s just had possibly the best recruiting haul ever by a TN coach. I’m fine with him simply rolling out a basketball and sitting back and watching at this point. The program is moving forward. It’s not going to be a straight line.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back