Transfer Portal 21-22

Agree I am getting the feeling that this coaching staff does not have the urgency of us fans in trying to get back to the top quickly. I think anyone realizes that the current roster is maybe top five in the SEC and again about an 8 loss team. Winning the SEC with who we have returning and who we have coming in is not going to happen. We definitely need a dynamic point guard and a post that can rebound and score. We'll see what happens four months to get it done by August is when it would need to happen.

SC is loaded for the next 4 years. The only way to catch them is to match them in recruiting. Can't even think about winning the SEC until Kellie builds up a team with enough talent to compete. Otherwise, 3-4 will be the ceiling.

SC is loaded for the next 4 years. The only way to catch them is to match them in recruiting. Can't even think about winning the SEC until Kellie builds up a team with enough talent to compete. Otherwise, 3-4 will be the ceiling.
You could always add a couple players that could give you a shot at contention. A&M won this season and SC was loaded this season as well. The point that was being made is were not even in contention, but a top ranked point guard and post player would at least get us to the point to contend.

Agree I am getting the feeling that this coaching staff does not have the urgency of us fans in trying to get back to the top quickly. I think anyone realizes that the current roster is maybe top five in the SEC and again about an 8 loss team. Winning the SEC with who we have returning and who we have coming in is not going to happen. We definitely need a dynamic point guard and a post that can rebound and score. We'll see what happens four months to get it done by August is when it would need to happen.
We don’t get back to the final four for a couple of years. We got to the 32 which is a win, even though we should have beaten Michigan. Kellie believes in team over a dominant player, and I agree. All of HER players have to be on the roster and have a couple of years of her coaching to gel. Around January of this season, I saw a dramatic shift for the better in every player in every facet of their game. We’ve had players like Massengale, who weren’t coachable. Or Westbrook who seemed to have a problem with women as authorities. We get great athletes , but they have to buy into the culture team concept Kellie offers. Gone are the days of two or three teams trading years being at the top. I want the team to play the best ball they can, and for the most part, I saw that this season. Never underestimate the disruption of staff in influencing players. I bet most of our roster grew up admiring and possibly recruited by Pat, and when she died, stayed commit to Holly because of her connection to Pat, and then stick around to play for Kellie. This kind of abrupt shifting for teens is hard on their emotions and minds. We need the stability, planning, and dedication of Coach Harper.

You could always add a couple players that could give you a shot at contention. A&M won this season and SC was loaded this season as well. The point that was being made is were not even in contention, but a top ranked point guard and post player would at least get us to the point to contend.

Agreed. Whether it's through recruiting or portal acquisitions, the overall talent on the team needs to have a shot at winning the SEC/NC.

Reactions: Voltopia
Gone are the days of two or three teams trading years being at the top.

SC, UConn, Baylor and Stanford are doing their part in making sure that they stay at the top year-over-year through their talent management. That won't change anytime in the next 4 years or so. It really has become an arms race.

SC, UConn, Baylor and Stanford are doing their part in making sure that they stay at the top year-over-year through their talent management. That won't change anytime in the next 4 years or so. It really has become an arms race.
Hmmmm..... I think we’ll see movement little by little. It’s taken 40 years to reach the parity we do have.

The reality is a top player in the transfer portal is more than likely looking at a team with a realistic chance of winning a national championship.

Which could be us if we had one, maybe two top players. We don’t need much. We are close. If everyone continues to buy in to what Coach Harper is selling I believe we will be right back there.

We just need someone to believe!

The reality is a top player in the transfer portal is more than likely looking at a team with a realistic chance of winning a national championship.
If there is a spot on a roster. We ended the season at 13 and we’re close to winning the games we lost. It really depends on what the player wants overall.

Reactions: GameTime
655 in portal about half are P5 players or Grad Transfers. Syracuse has 8 in portal and several players coming in to still have a roster of 12 players. You lose half a team and already have them replaced.
Didn’t someone on here recommend a kid we were interested in go to Syracuse because they were an up and coming program? Good call.

We don’t get back to the final four for a couple of years. We got to the 32 which is a win, even though we should have beaten Michigan. Kellie believes in team over a dominant player, and I agree. All of HER players have to be on the roster and have a couple of years of her coaching to gel. Around January of this season, I saw a dramatic shift for the better in every player in every facet of their game. We’ve had players like Massengale, who weren’t coachable. Or Westbrook who seemed to have a problem with women as authorities. We get great athletes , but they have to buy into the culture team concept Kellie offers. Gone are the days of two or three teams trading years being at the top. I want the team to play the best ball they can, and for the most part, I saw that this season. Never underestimate the disruption of staff in influencing players. I bet most of our roster grew up admiring and possibly recruited by Pat, and when she died, stayed commit to Holly because of her connection to Pat, and then stick around to play for Kellie. This kind of abrupt shifting for teens is hard on their emotions and minds. We need the stability, planning, and dedication of Coach Harper.
Great Points!
I think you really hit on something and that is culture. The LV culture which said we can win any game we play was denigrated under Holly and you could see our teams play tight or press too much and lose winnable games. I feel Kellie is starting to reestablish the culture. The kids believe they are in any game e.g. IU, SC, UConn. The old doubts, playing tight, playing tentative still rears its’ head but I see that swagger coming back.

Class Rankings -- 2021 -- Winter 2020 | Prospects Nation

It was four here they are 8th ranked class on prospect.

You and I are aware of the same information.
There was a misunderstanding on Texas A&M and Syracuse with recruiting and incoming freshmen class . I was thinking about Texas A & M and you were thinking of Syracuse. Just simply a misunderstanding about which team was doing what ! Sorry for this but it’s a non issue now .,,. I understand everything now . Thanks

I agree with the sentiment of @Amb3096 . Are there going to be diamonds in the rough that aren't ranked high that surprise people? Of course. Are we going to win big games occasionally without a roster full of big name recruits? Sure. However, if we're going to make a run in the big dance and complete our goal of going to the Final 4 or winning a Natty we're going to have to have some studs with some star power. There's no doubt. I have faith we can do that, but that's the biggest thing holding us back I think. We're going to have to start landing some of the top tier players that can TAKE OVER A GAME. We don't have Rennia next season. We're going to have to start building a base of some stars.

As I watched Troy nearly beat Texas A&M, I couldn't help but think that I had never heard of any of those gutsy, tough, talented Troy players before that day. They obviously weren't big names in the high school recruiting circles, yet a handful of questionable calls was all that stood between them and a victory against a team that "name" recruits. I'm actually still upset about what happened to Troy. It wasn't only a question about whether there was an over-and-back situation, but also that two of Troy's best players were taken out of the game on questionable calls, too. Anyway, Troy has players with the kind of heart I will always hope find their way to Tennessee, whether I've ever heard of them or not.

As I watched Troy nearly beat Texas A&M, I couldn't help but think that I had never heard of any of those gutsy, tough, talented Troy players before that day. They obviously weren't big names in the high school recruiting circles, yet a handful of questionable calls was all that stood between them and a victory against a team that "name" recruits. I'm actually still upset about what happened to Troy. It wasn't only a question about whether there was an over-and-back situation, but also that two of Troy's best players were taken out of the game on questionable calls, too. Anyway, Troy has players with the kind of heart I will always hope find their way to Tennessee, whether I've ever heard of them or not.

Of course you want those players, but you need top tier talent as well that can do that every night not just in one game. Exhibit one: look a Troy's record. We need consistency, and if you want consistency in the best conference in the game you need some stars.

Three Washington players already in the portal guess new coach is on the way. Total portal 677 and over 230 grand transfers and about 120 P5 players. The highest ranked player in the portal is Diamond Johnson number 6 in her hoopgurlz class. Ingster from Syracuse number nine is next then you have a few that were top 25.

Three Washington players already in the portal guess new coach is on the way. Total portal 677 and over 230 grand transfers and about 120 P5 players. The highest ranked player in the portal is Diamond Johnson number 6 in her hoopgurlz class. Ingster from Syracuse number nine is next then you have a few that were top 25.

Yep, would be shocked if it’s not Langley given the timing. Betting they announce today or tomorrow. Appears they may have told the team yesterday.

Reactions: Volfan2012
You said, "I am pretty sure they all were."

Meaning all the ones I mentioned in that post (Green, Hayes, Cooper), since that's the post the person I was responding to was quoting.

What I said really isn't that complicated. No idea why you over-complicated it.

Great Points!
I think you really hit on something and that is culture. The LV culture which said we can win any game we play was denigrated under Holly and you could see our teams play tight or press too much and lose winnable games. I feel Kellie is starting to reestablish the culture. The kids believe they are in any game e.g. IU, SC, UConn. The old doubts, playing tight, playing tentative still rears its’ head but I see that swagger coming back.
I agree. Who wouldn’t respond well to Kellie’s coaching? Intelligence, passion, grit, ball skills, understanding of the game, a great motivator and truly cares about her players. I watched her play and win those three National championships, and when she was on the floor, I saw her complete confidence and the team played by it.

I agree. Who wouldn’t respond well to Kellie’s coaching? Intelligence, passion, grit, ball skills, understanding of the game, a great motivator and truly cares about her players. I watched her play and win those three National championships, and when she was on the floor, I saw her complete confidence and the team played by it.

Yes and she was playing with a couple of the most talented players in the game which allowed success with a floor general PG that did not have the athleticism to break down the defense.

The good news is no Lady Vols are in the portal. The bad news is don't look for any roster changes with 14 players coming back. What you see now is what you will get. No way Tennessee will go over 15 and I doubt we would even add anyone with 14 players coming back. One player I really want us to add long shot that would ever happen.

If we can’t take a difference maker in the portal due to our roster being full, it would be a remarkable fail. We have too many dead spots on the roster already. I would expect the head coach to sit with a kid or two to explain they aren’t likely to play here and then help them find a place they can. In fact, it would be surprising if the conversation hasn’t already happened.

If we can’t take a difference maker in the portal due to our roster being full, it would be a remarkable fail. We have too many dead spots on the roster already. I would expect the head coach to sit with a kid or two to explain they aren’t likely to play here and then help them find a place they can. In fact, it would be surprising if the conversation hasn’t already happened.
I totally agree with this. Most of the top programs have adjusted to this new way of recruiting and if we come out of this off-season with no adjustments to the line-up from the portal, I'm afraid we are going to get left behind. It's just part of the game now.

VN Store

Back