The Official 2nd Amendment Appreciation Thread

I’ll check it out. How does it compare to gunbroker?

You pay like $6.99 a month to post and reply to listings. You can cancel at any time. You can view it for free and using the site altogether use to be free. Some people skirt the rules and put their number in the listing to contact them. Armslist is more like a Craigslist for guns. I’d say Gunbroker is more like an eBay. Not sure how your person to person gun laws work in your state but in SC you can legally sell your gun to someone who can legally own a gun. I’ve only sold one and I made sure the person had a cwp. I wrote out a little bill of sale and we both signed it but I doubt it’s ever going to be an issue.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
My local shop is able to give me $250 on a trade in on my M&P Shield 45. It’s in excellent condition. I was expecting a little more, but it’s an older model. Not the 2.0. That seem reasonable?
You never come out trading with gun shops. It’s a lesson that took me many years to learn.

You never come out trading with gun shops. It’s a lesson that took me many years to learn.
The only guns I’ve ever sold were a couple beretta o/u’s and they basically retained all their value. Wasn’t sure what to expect for pistols but would have thought more than they offered

@golfballs
Find a shop that will sell it for you on consignment.
If you’re in Chattanooga I can recommend 2 good ones
Not in Chattanooga but thanks. I’ve bought several firearms from this place before and, taken a couple classes and shot in a few leagues and I know them semi-decently. So I figured they’d be straight up about a trade in. He said I’d get more for it that way than on consignment. I guess that’s their business

Not in Chattanooga but thanks. I’ve bought several firearms from this place before and, taken a couple classes and shot in a few leagues and I know them semi-decently. So I figured they’d be straight up about a trade in. He said I’d get more for it that way than on consignment. I guess that’s their business
Seems like BS to me but ok.

This. About the only time you get even close to the actual value is if you know the shop owner and you're doing a trade. Even then you're not coming out ahead on the deal.
Right you are.
Gun shops have to make money.
They have to buy your weapon {trade) at way under the actual value in order to do so and then sell it fast.
Just like trading in a car. Most trade-ins go straight to the car auction where dealers get their money back fast. They know what the car will bring pretty darn close. A gun dealer has a general idea where and for how much a used gun can be sold quickly. You will get way less than that.
As a rule of thumb, figure you get about half the value of anything traded in.

Many retailers get incentives for meeting sales goals from manufacturers that they act as certified dealers for, which means it costs them more money to sell your used S&W to another customer than it would to sell a new one. Locally, we have a shop that does have a small amount of new inventory but their bread and butter is consignments and transfers. I’d look for a place like that. End of day though, if I really didn’t want the gun, I’d take what I could get from the lgs s before I’d sell to someone I don’t know and risk civil or criminal liability if someone did something stupid with it.

Many retailers get incentives for meeting sales goals from manufacturers that they act as certified dealers for, which means it costs them more money to sell your used S&W to another customer than it would to sell a new one. Locally, we have a shop that does have a small amount of new inventory but their bread and butter is consignments and transfers. I’d look for a place like that. End of day though, if I really didn’t want the gun, I’d take what I could get from the lgs s before I’d sell to someone I don’t know and risk civil or criminal liability if someone did something stupid with it.

Or you could meet a potential buyer at an FFL and let them pay a transfer fee that would include a background check.

My local shop is able to give me $250 on a trade in on my M&P Shield 45. It’s in excellent condition. I was expecting a little more, but it’s an older model. Not the 2.0. That seem reasonable?
As others have said nit just no, but hell nah... seen both sides of this and want dealers to make some profit to stay in business. Ask them what they plan to resale the gun for, then ask yourself if it’s reasonable to eliminate / mitigate any risk selling FTF or thru an other FFL ( usually $25-40 transfer fee). What’s their consignment fee 20%? Quietly ask around work, friends , church, lions club and there is someone you know who wants it if it’s like stuff around here.

Right you are.
. Most trade-ins go straight to the car auction where dealers get their money back fast. They know what the car will bring pretty darn close.

Car dealers want to retail as many of their trade-ins as they can. Only the junk goes to the auction.

Reactions: YankeeVol
Car dealers want to retail as many of their trade-ins as they can. Only the junk goes to the auction.
Of coarse they do.
Most are junk or are past the age /mileage that a buyer can get reasonable financing for.
Guns that have been traded in have a higher probability of issues, just like cars. I never had much luck buying a used gun from anyone that I did not know.

VN Store

Back