The Spring Roster is Upon us

RJ Perry, Ollie Lane, and Jackson Lampley have really put on the weight. I wonder if they'll factor into the rotation at all this year.
I’m sure the coaches hope he’s ready for LT to spell Calbert or Mays...preferably Calbert.

https://utsports.com/sports/football/roster

Any surprises for you all as to who is still here, gone, or back for the Covid year?

Roster looks solid. It's all about QB play IMO. Hopefully our head coach works his magic and play from that position attracts other great players in future recruiting classes. With good coaching and some old fashion Volunteer enthusiasm from the coaches down to the players and eventually to the fan base..........who knows? This could be an interesting season. I don't see all the doom and gloom that some posters on here see. 7-5, 8-4, 9-3 are all doable.

I see a roster that I think is the 3rd most talented in the SEC East and in the top half of the SEC. This is a program that is desperate for good coaching and has the talent to make a quick turnaround, but obviously still a good ways off from competing at the top. Hopefully this new staff gets it done. I think the talent on offense is outstanding and if the offense struggles this season, then that's a really bad sign for Heupel. With his reputation, this offense should score a lot of points. I do think 8 wins is very realistic.
Exactly why we needed a coach like Freeze to come in and win immediately. Maybe Hype can win right away with this talent. Do her was I am excited to have who we have and look forward to the season.

I had pointed out how poorly Pruitt recruited depth at this position. I’d say this staff will be looking for some transfers after spring practice.
I agree but don’t understand what happened here. DBs are supposed to be Pruitts expertise. He had early success with Taylor and Thompson but didn’t seem to keep building this group.

Maurer is a surprise since he was one of the ones that didnt suit up the final game
Thinking that was more a personal issue between Pruitt and himself...not any violations from Maurer. If Pruitt had returned Maurer would have transferred. New staff comes in with no preconceptions so he’s taking his shot in an open competition.

Thinking that was more a personal issue between Pruitt and himself...not any violations from Maurer. If Pruitt had returned Maurer would have transferred. New staff comes in with no preconceptions so he’s taking his shot in an open competition.
ah ok -- saw posts last year about credit card usage but didnt know if they were true or not

Question: Who inherited a better roster? Pruitt from Butch or CJH from Pruitt? I'll hang up and listen

I understand this roster has some talent, but that talent was poorly coached the past few years. On top of that, they are learning an entirely new offense. And this is about as big of a philosophical change in offense as you can get. So even with good coaching, this isn’t going to be a quick turn around. There’s a lot for these players to learn and a relatively short amount of time to do it. I would think we will be better than last year but, in my opinion, it’s going to take a season or 2 (hopefully just 1) before we see 8/9 wins.

Offense should be way ahead of the D.
Theoretically QB and WR should have a ton of talent and competition.
RB has some good players although I think Beckwith and Whitehead would be much bigger contributors as a HBack/TE and LB respectively.
TE is in a tough spot.
OL has a lot of bodies. Not a lot of tackle depth, but they should be at least average.
DL has a lot of bodies, maybe not a lot of elite guys though.
LB and DB are scary thin. 3 of our better LBers talent-wise are all more pass rushers (Joseph, Baron, Harrison) plus Eason being absolutely massive. Moving to a 4-2-5 will help with the depth issue.
True CBs are Taylor, George, Burrell. That's it. Need to hit that hard in recruiting. S's have 3 experienced starters (McCullough, Flowers, Jackson). Hopefully McDonald, Charles, Fields, Slaughter can find some homes and help out.

We have some potential, but there could easily be massive growing pains that I think everyone needs to be aware of.

I understand this roster has some talent, but that talent was poorly coached the past few years. On top of that, they are learning an entirely new offense. And this is about as big of a philosophical change in offense as you can get. So even with good coaching, this isn’t going to be a quick turn around. There’s a lot for these players to learn and a relatively short amount of time to do it. I would think we will be better than last year but, in my opinion, it’s going to take a season or 2 (hopefully just 1) before we see 8/9 wins.

If CJH and his assistants can teach our players to block, tackle, and coach up our QB to run a serviceable offense then I don’t see a reason we shouldn’t win 6 games. The coaching from CJP and company last year was about as bad as it gets. I don’t expect a quick turnaround either but do think we should be a better coached & competitive team.

Question: Who inherited a better roster? Pruitt from Butch or CJH from Pruitt? I'll hang up and listen

I think the roster JH is inheriting is better. The 2018 OL & QB were pretty much the worst I have seen at UT.

Jack Jancek, #22, walk-on wide receiver ... anyone know if that's another of coach John Jancek's sons?

I know one of his sons was on the team while he was coaching here under Butch Jones. Is this another?

VN Store

Back