Rob Lewis sums this season up succinctly...

Fairly disappointing season overall. The biggest reason for that is JJJ’s lack of development. He is the glue guy for this team, but he is nowhere close to a 5 star player he was rated coming out of high school. Just not even close. He is about as impactful as a Robert Hubbs, on a good day, maybe.

James being 7th in scoring in our rotation is just not going to get it done. I appreciate his effort and 6.5 rebounds a game, but he is just not even close to the player we had hoped he was. We need a true big man, and true point guard. Hopefully we sign Hatfield to go with Chandler next year, and James can make more progress. Could be a little better next year if so.
I disagree, athletically he is a 5 star and has an excellent overall skill set. He appears to lack confidence and assertiveness more than anything.

I disagree, athletically he is a 5 star and has an excellent overall skill set. He appears to lack confidence and assertiveness more than anything.

Pons, Keon, and Springer are all better athletes than JJJ is. JJJ is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. He rebounds and and handles the ball well for his size. As well as being a good passer. But he can’t drive and finish well for a guy his size, and he is just really not a very good shooter. Point blank. And that’s what it comes down to.

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
A throwaway season? We had one of the best rosters we've had in years with a mix of veterans and young talent, managed to dodge several tough early season opponents that would have given us more losses and dropped from a final 4 pick by many experts to a first round embarrassment. This was a season to make hay and we made bricks instead.
Let’s qualify that a bit. A mix of veterans who weren’t vocal leaders. Young, INCONSISTENT talent. No real point guard to take control. Undersized in the front court. (Sorry, Uros doesn’t count. When Pons was motivated, he covered a lot of sins. Not sure where his head was yesterday.) Inconsistent outside shooters. Saw signs of yesterday all year long. Yesterday had all of the above and it snowballed.

Oregon St. is a bad team. They wouldn’t finish better than 9th or 10th in the SEC. Horrible coaching job and pathetic effort from the players in an NCAAT game. Where was the game plan ? where was the energy and effort? What a waste of talent
I will give credit to the Beaver coach. He had an excellent defensive game plan to shut off the driving lanes and force UT to beat them outside. Besides woeful shooting, I believe our main problem yesterday was lack of a true point guard to control and direct things. We looked disorganized and disinterested.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Let’s qualify that a bit. A mix of veterans who weren’t vocal leaders. Young, INCONSISTENT talent. No real point guard to take control. Undersized in the front court. (Sorry, Uros doesn’t count. When Pons was motivated, he covered a lot of sins. Not sure where his head was yesterday.) Inconsistent outside shooters. Saw signs of yesterday all year long. Yesterday had all of the above and it snowballed.
And who’s responsible for that?

I’ll give you a hint. He makes $5 million big ones

I will give credit to the Beaver coach. He had an excellent defensive game plan to shut off the driving lanes and force UT to beat them outside. Besides woeful shooting, I believe our main problem yesterday was lack of a true point guard to control and direct things. We looked disorganized and disinterested.
In other words we got completely out coached by a coach named Tinkle

Reactions: brockytop
Having Fulkerson in the paint for a post presence would have created lanes to cut to the basket....and would have been easily 15 points on the scoreboard. If you want to point blame....point it at that punk Gator Omar Payne. We’d have beaten Alabama too had Fulkerson played. This team WAS a Sweet 16 squad...no post presence is how we got worked yesterday.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
And who’s responsible for that?

I’ll give you a hint. He makes $5 million big ones
Oh I would agree. I still think Barnes is a good coach. You don’t get 700 wins by being Donnie Tindall. Recruiting has been good in spots but lack of size and no point guard has been a problem. And without a true leader on the floor, the team sometimes took on his personality—too passive. That’s on Barnes and the upperclassmen.

Oh I would agree. I still think Barnes is a good coach. You don’t get 700 wins by being Donnie Tindall. Recruiting has been good in spots but lack of size and no point guard has been a problem. And without a true leader on the floor, the team sometimes took on his personality—too passive. That’s on Barnes and the upperclassmen.
700 wins in 38 years. That’s really not that great. One Final 4 in 25 tries. That’s pretty bad considering some of the talented teams he has had ( Ford, Durant, Williams, Schofiled, Keon, Springer, Pons, etc....

Reactions: volpass
Not making excuses for anything. But I guess Kentucky, Michigan State, Duke and Louisville should all fire there coaches since they done horrible jobs this year coaching snd didn’t even make the tourney!

Good Lord. Minus Chris Mack of Louisville, the coaches for those other teams have just a tad bit better resume than Rick Barnes. Geez.

Not making excuses for anything. But I guess Kentucky, Michigan State, Duke and Louisville should all fire there coaches since they done horrible jobs this year coaching snd didn’t even make the tourney!

Lol...yeah one problem with that...check the resumes. And MSU did make it and Mack is only in Year 3 and UL would have made the NCAAT last year.

Although I do think an argument can be made that Cal has underachieved at UK; I certainly think he's overpaid for the results he's gotten. He has the same number of national titles as Tubby Smith.

But yet we are pounding them dogs right now and ranked #10 in the country. Let me guess you wanna fire Coach V now for the 9-0 loss to Charlotte. Did bans fire there baseball coach after losing to UTM?
I apologize. I quit following them after the Charlotte loss because I’m sick of being let down by this university. I’m glad they are 10.

In this game, yes we did. They dared us to beat them from outside and our streaky shooters couldn’t do it.
Same story, different game. So maybe our overpaid coach might want to recruit a pure shooter. It’s not rocket science. He passed on one of the best scorers in college basketball, Mac McClung Oh well, another miss by Barnes

I apologize. I quit following them after the Charlotte loss because I’m sick of being let down by this university. I’m glad they are 10.

I wouldn't put much stock in early season and midweek losses in college baseball. If it's a pattern then yeah it's an issue but even the best baseball teams lose games to worse teams. Vandy is #2 and they've lost 2, 1 was to Georgia St. who we swept. Arkansas is #1 and lost to Louisiana Tech. How the team does in the SEC is the test

Reactions: Ttucke11
Could be said of lots of teams this year... Duke, UK, Michigan State, etc.

Flush it and move on! We'll be back next year!

Baseball team looks great...
Take this quote and a few years ago it was about football and the basketball team looks great... then football got worse. Now we are saying it about basketball and baseball team looks great... because basketball is getting worse.... look out baseball vols! You’re the next flush it and move on. Hello men’s tennis!

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
When we shoot cold we are a below average team at best. No big men. So he actually coached his team and knew that was the best chance to win. We, on the other hand, did exactly what we’ve done all year. Look lost, shoot cold, turn the ball over, and play with zero intensity. I said it for weeks this would be the case if we shot poorly. First round knockout. Credit to Oregon state for throwing the punch.

I guess. It seems crazy to draft a guy that high that can't shoot and turns it over as much as he does.

The NBA doesn’t play defense the same as college. One quick step and Keon will take his man off the dribble. Plus the NBA plays at a quicker pace which may help Keon. He is aware that he needs to develop an outside shot. Time will tell if he will be a good NBA player but he is very athletic.

No, I'm probably not going to chill out, I'm as pissed over this loss as I've been since, I guess Michigan in Pearl's last year. We didn't show any heart, that's probably why I got so defensive, because I knew it was true. Just an absolute embarrassing performance by this Vols team and Barnes. Disgusting, I can't even watch the Tournament, now. I tried, lasted 2 minutes and Liberty was only down 6 to Ok. St, but I couldn't, because it's all ruined, thanks to UT's sorry a$$ performance. I could have lived with a competitive game and a loss, but not that complete sh!t show. Never had a lead, was NOT ready to play, at all. Did we even scout the Beavers ? Because it sure as f#ck didn't look like it, they destroyed our #4 ranked defensive team with an uncanny ease. Just makes me sick and then u have to eff with me to beat it all. But, u and me are cool, my bad, unless u wanna meet me at Waffle House, instead ?
Screenshot_20210320-104820.jpg

Sorry pal

Meh, this was kind of a throwaway season with COVID. Hopefully this lights a fire under Barnes to add some high-level transfers to go along with Chandler and have a legit squad next year
I agree...on one hand, I'm just glad they got the season in. It sounded to me like JJJ is firmly back for next year...guess we'll have to wait and see for Springer/Johnson. Would really like to see a full year w/ full off season, but have a feeling this was it. We also need a true shooter.

VN Store

Back