A Reluctant Criticism of Barnes

You act like this roster has zero talent, good lord.

I should save these posts so when next year rolls around and we are dancing all of you same ones that I’m sure will be b!thing again can look back and see how you didn’t even think we’d be dancing.
I can remember when things were so bad we were, many of us, saying we'd be satisfied with just getting to the dance every year. Now with so much talent and dying first round it seems like a participation trophy. Humans we are.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
I can remember when things were so bad we were, many of us, saying we'd be satisfied with just getting to the dance every year. Now with so much talent and dying first round it seems like a participation trophy. Humans we are.
Yup, people just begged to make the dance again consistently, now we do that and it’s not enough...be careful what you wish for...and yes, majority of humans suck.

You act like this roster has zero talent, good lord.

I should save these posts so when next year rolls around and we are dancing all of you same ones that I’m sure will be b!thing again can look back and see how you didn’t even think we’d be dancing.

You do agree we are sorely lacking in the post, though - right? Chandler cures our PG shortcomings -and then some - but who is our 4/5?

Reactions: Ttucke11
At his age, I wouldn't place a lot of hope in Barnes changing. It's what makes Saban all the more impressive. He recognized the game had changed and he adapted. It's why he's the best to ever coach the college game IMO...and yes, I truly hated to type that.

I might be in the minority but I do think Barnes changed this year. He recognized when Fulky and Pons were just not going to lead this team and handed the keys to the freshmen. The only problem is Barnes recognized they needed more time because there were holes in their games he hoped to develop over time like shooting consistency and unforced turnovers. He wasn't allowed that luxury due to us only being 7 deep when we went into the year thinking we had a few more options.

Reactions: Volfan1000
If this be the case why do some many guys get labeled "5*"? Should they be labeled with a lesser * or should there be a 6* for the truly good guys?

It means recruiting services are way too liberal about handing out 5 star ratings. Based on what fans think of when we hear 5 star player, there should probably only be 12-15 5 stars per class, but 247 usually has around 25 per cycle. Rivals is about the same.

Reactions: savannahfan
I didn't see most of the first half, and just a few minutes of the second, but a couple of things stood out; Pons sat most of the first half due to two quick fouls according to the announcers, and OS big men were unstoppable without Fulkerson down low to try to defend the low post. Plavsic has the height, and looks somewhat better than last year, but he isn't a dominate big. If he can be coached up to be more aggressive and try to establish position he could possibly fill the void.

Why exactly can’t we compare our basketball program to Bammer? Pretty similar programs really

Nate Oats was plain stupid luck, like Saban falling into their laps at the right time.

Nobody knew Oats would step in and turn them into a serious Final Four contender. Of course, they took a chance on a up & comer from Buffalo and it worked out.

However, that doesn’t mean it’s automatically going to happen here. Everyone wants a brand new shiny toy until it starts to wear out its welcome.

If we’re going to replace Barnes then it needs to be done right the first time or else, we’re following the same path in football.

Nate Oats was plain stupid luck, like Saban falling into their laps at the right time.

Nobody knew Oats would step in and turn them into a serious Final Four contender. Of course, they took a chance on a up & comer from Buffalo and it worked out.

However, that doesn’t mean it’s automatically going to happen here. Everyone wants a brand new shiny toy until it starts to wear out its welcome.

If we’re going to replace Barnes then it needs to be done right the first time or else, we’re following the same path in football.
It was not “plain stupid luck” give me a break.

Reactions: HawkVol2213
Wtf are you talking about?

Barnes has 3 consecutive trips to the NCAAT, maybe you want a refresh on your TNBB history to check and see how many times that has happened in UT history, watch out if he makes it 4 in a row next year lol

And, without Covid last year does he have that streak intact? Am I wrong he has as many NCAA wins as Martin at UT and less than Pearl did? And, yes, Tyndall got Turner, Schofield and Alexander for the Barnes glory seasons at UT.

He has as many 20 win seasons in 6 years as Martin did in 3. Getting to the tournament is an alright accomplishment for an alright coach, which you haven't dissuaded me from finding Barnes to be.

So, convince me he's more than simply alright as a coach. Merely making the tournament in half his seasons as coach here isn't amazing. He's consistently made the tournament in his career, which makes him a consistently alright coach. But, he never wins much of anything when he puts himself in the opportunity to do so.

I mean, LOL if you think what he's done here is above and beyond anything in our recent history. Are you telling me you don't leave feeling the same about Barnes' seasons leaving you thinking it should have been more? You are satisfied with going to the tournament regularly, knowing the coach has a massive issue with underachieving in the one thing which is most important in this sport? I'm not talking about firing him, by the way, I'm talking about assessing what he's done here.

Do we lower expectations because Buzz Peterson wasn't very good?

Wtf are you talking about?

Barnes has 3 consecutive trips to the NCAAT, maybe you want a refresh on your TNBB history to check and see how many times that has happened in UT history, watch out if he makes it 4 in a row next year lol

The fact you keep saying this when you know the actual context of last year to try and defend Barnes is ridiculous. Come on.

Some of you idiots are arguing like Barnes is going somewhere. You are whistling in the wind. You would rest better coming up with things that have a higher probability of actually happening.

Lmao...how quickly we forget “bad”
Indeed. We are winning and making the dance regularly. That's no small feat these days and especially at UT. While it's disappointing, if not expected, to lose the way we did yesterday, it's still not "bad". Maybe for a program like Gonzaga, UK or Duke it would be, but for UT, I won't complain too much.

VN Store

Back