Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
1990 Bama game was worse, IMO. It was not as big a game, but it was the absolute worst I have ever felt at the end of a game.
I think he means that it was a turning point, and you could feel that down in your bones when that game ended. I never thought, and I doubt anybody thought we would fall THIS far, but I knew right then that we had seen our best days under Phil and that it was headed downhill.

I remember it, even though I was only 12. Major major heartbreak; especially how it went down, and where both teams where at going in...UT #3 in the country, Bama 2-3.

However, LSU loss has been DEVASTATING! As I have always said, I hate the Conference Championship game, always...I believe them to be bullsh!t. Conference champion should be decided by the season played, period.

UT had already beaten LSU that year...why should they have had to do it again? LSU won the SEC with 3 conference losses. We won in The Swamp, and should have went from there to the Rose Bowl, to play for the National Championship. Instead, we go to the Citrus Bowl; and UF, whom we had just beaten their ass, went to the Orange Bowl, and ended ranked higher than us...all because of that game. It's bullsh!t.
I was pretty much sick of Chavis and Phil after that game. There was no excuse and we should have won going away..we were destroying them on both sides of the ball, and then Phil and Chavis did their "play not to lose" thing after halftime...and that was that.

I usually would give the other team credit, but that game was absolutely given to LSU by Phil and Chavis. LSU deserves no credit for anything other than coming out and continuing to play hard.

Now I remember all over again why I was on the fire Phil train way earlier than most, plus..I never forgot that pathetic Tiger High loss a few years earlier. Truly great coaches don't lose games like that.

Last edited:
Something to know if not already posted, Sam Bradford was a 5.7 3-star quarterback according to Rivals (2006) and Landry Jones was a 5.8 4-star also according to rivals (2008). 247 also had Bradford as a 3-star and Jones as a 4-star. I think Bradford was much more mobile than Jones. I’d compare Bailey to Jones and maybe Salter and Maurer to Bradford. jmo.

Yesterday I had a post that showed we should forget about the Time of Possession stat in regards to our new approach to football at Tennessee. Heupel’s offenses will typically have the ball for between 22 and 24 minutes per game which means our defense will be on the field for around 36-38 minutes per game. I said it was probably more important to look at how many snaps the defense was playing rather than the clock time they were on the field. I suspect our media may not point this out and will instead mislead some of our lesser informed fans with the notion that we are getting killed in TOP. They’ll probably save this nugget for when we lose so they can get everyone riled up. I don’t even know if we can count on the radio guys to be informed about this. I figure it’s up to you and me and the quarterbacks on the Big Orange Hotline to spread the word. jmo.

In 2013 against Oregon we had the ball for 34:18 and the Ducks had it for 25:42. We got beat 59-14. We ran 67 plays; they ran 76. Time is irrelevant. jmo.

Anyway, so looking at Heupel’s history and weighting it more for his time at UCF I think we can expect our defense to play an addition 10-12 snaps per game above and beyond what we have been accustomed to. Now the fast paced offense isn’t always the cause of the defense having to play more snaps. If they can’t get off the field then that is on them. We will need to have enough depth so that we can manage the snap counts for our guys on that side of the ball, and they’ll need to be in top condition, else wise we may end up losing a lot of 4th quarter games. jmo.

So here’s a couple of data tables that hopefully paints a somewhat better picture of this. DE stands for defensive efficiency. It’s a ranking so a lower number is better. If we suck at defensive efficiency, which we often have, it means we can’t get off the field and our opponents are probably going to score a lot of points. As you can see in the comparison of scoring offense to scoring defense, Heupel usually has a good defense to work with and some of the margins he creates is likely going to put us in games that nobody thinks we have any business being in, that is, providing our defense holds up. jmo.

View attachment 355679

View attachment 355680

And if CJH’s goal for an aggressive attacking defense works, our TOP goes up and so does the scoring opportunities!

Fair enough. I lived in Rainsville for awhile but most of my opinion is honestly from vastly recognized reputation. Even my redneck family in Scottsboro reveres Sand Mountain for infamy. I concede to you if you lived there 7 years.
It was infamous, I have heard all the old stories too, but things have changed there just like they have everywhere. I got to know hundreds of people while living and working there, and most are really solid human beings...well other than being Barners and Bammers..lol.

Pruitt is just a bad egg...we have them too.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Something to know if not already posted, Sam Bradford was a 5.7 3-star quarterback according to Rivals (2006) and Landry Jones was a 5.8 4-star also according to rivals (2008). 247 also had Bradford as a 3-star and Jones as a 4-star. I think Bradford was much more mobile than Jones. I’d compare Bailey to Jones and maybe Salter and Maurer to Bradford. jmo.

Yesterday I had a post that showed we should forget about the Time of Possession stat in regards to our new approach to football at Tennessee. Heupel’s offenses will typically have the ball for between 22 and 24 minutes per game which means our defense will be on the field for around 36-38 minutes per game. I said it was probably more important to look at how many snaps the defense was playing rather than the clock time they were on the field. I suspect our media may not point this out and will instead mislead some of our lesser informed fans with the notion that we are getting killed in TOP. They’ll probably save this nugget for when we lose so they can get everyone riled up. I don’t even know if we can count on the radio guys to be informed about this. I figure it’s up to you and me and the quarterbacks on the Big Orange Hotline to spread the word. jmo.

In 2013 against Oregon we had the ball for 34:18 and the Ducks had it for 25:42. We got beat 59-14. We ran 67 plays; they ran 76. Time is irrelevant. jmo.

Anyway, so looking at Heupel’s history and weighting it more for his time at UCF I think we can expect our defense to play an addition 10-12 snaps per game above and beyond what we have been accustomed to. Now the fast paced offense isn’t always the cause of the defense having to play more snaps. If they can’t get off the field then that is on them. We will need to have enough depth so that we can manage the snap counts for our guys on that side of the ball, and they’ll need to be in top condition, else wise we may end up losing a lot of 4th quarter games. jmo.

So here’s a couple of data tables that hopefully paints a somewhat better picture of this. DE stands for defensive efficiency. It’s a ranking so a lower number is better. If we suck at defensive efficiency, which we often have, it means we can’t get off the field and our opponents are probably going to score a lot of points. As you can see in the comparison of scoring offense to scoring defense, Heupel usually has a good defense to work with and some of the margins he creates is likely going to put us in games that nobody thinks we have any business being in, that is, providing our defense holds up. jmo.

View attachment 355679

View attachment 355680
@ChattaTNVol Loving all your data driven analysis.

Have you looked at defensive points allowed per possession at Heupel’s stops in relation to UT’s? And broken down into 1st half vs 2nd half possessions?

Teams usually have the same number of possessions a game, with turnovers returned for touchdowns being the great differentiators. Points / possession could be an indicator of quality of possessions needed to keep up with the O and the half’s breakdown could show how drained the D could be in the 4th quarter.

Just a thought. Appreciate the effort. Never TLDR

I was pretty much was sick of Chavis and Phil after that game. There was no excuse and we should have won going away..we were destroying them on both sides of the ball, and then Phil and Chavis did their "play not to lose" thing after halftime...and that was that.

I usually would give the other team credit, but that game was absolutely given to LSU by Phil and Chavis. LSU deserves no credit for anything other than coming out and continuing to play hard.

Now I remember all over again why I was on the fire Phil train way earlier than most, plus..I never forgot that pathetic Tiger High loss a few years earlier. Truly great coaches don't lose games like that.

Part of that was the team to tiger high. The team was obviously looking forward to a NC game. For tiger high, it was their greatest game. I was at that game. The players didn’t have any fire until it was too late. If they were not just going through the motions, they would have wiped the field with tiger high.

That was inexcusable. The University of Tennessee had never lost to tiger high. Since I am from Memphis, it was that much worse. To me, it was worse than losing to Georgia State...

Herman didn't want to be caught in the middle of this issue that was causing racial divide so he backed the players who didn't want to sing the song. That didn't go over very well with some powerful boosters and may be one of the reasons he was bought out. I'm sure there were plenty of football related issues that got him fired. This song, Eyes of Texas, is basically sung to the tune of "I've been working on the railroad" and that's the sticking point for the black players. It's all pretty ugly because the really big boosters are taking a stand that they want the song to stand.

So...let me get this straight...the idiot players don't want to sing a song that is a part of Texas tradition, which they all knew whenthey signed there...not because it is racist, but because of the freakin melody?

These latest generations are a bunch of freakin whiny idiots looking for stuff to bitch about..our future is ******.

Yeah...my son tells me that there is a growing sense of dissatisfaction and frustration among the UGA fanbase..but that Kirby's great recruiting after every failed season serves to cool those feelings off. I wonder how long that will last?

My brother went to Georgia. He thinks UGA should fire Kirby if he doesn’t win a championship next year.

Anyone seen or heard anything from Bald Biker, Crazy Ivan or Orange Venom lately? I don't recall seeing anything from any of them in a looooooong time.
Probably in hiding right now. The firing of CJP and staff and coaching searches over the past 2 months opened Pandora's box, and a lot of the FB Forum crazies haven't left the Recruiting Forum.

In addition to recruiting and getting ready for spring practice, Heupel is working hard with his support staff to work on former player relationships. Several former players have already been by to meet the new staff as Heupel is making that a big priority.

Heupel has sent the former players a gift which is a signed print of Neyland Stadium thanking them for helping build Tennessee football. Another interesting thing Heupel is doing is getting himself an education on Tennessee. Everything from the traditions with athletics and football, how they came about, to how to pronounce the names of towns across the state. Pretty interesting the attention to detail on things and it’s certainly needed as the program has shot itself in the foot way too much the last decade.

- VQ

For my 31st birthday, I drank 31 shots of tequila. Beer chasers. Received a lifetime ban from a bar. Had a hangover for a week.

Good times. Definitely put a stop to binging. Whew. Hurts just thinking about that birthday.
Glad that I am too old for that now...
That's gotta be pretty close to alcohol poisoning. I did 10 shots of tequila once when a bunch of us was in Mexico playing golf. Hell, I thought that I was gonna die that day :):):)

Part of that was the team to tiger high. The team was obviously looking forward to a NC game. For tiger high, it was their greatest game. I was at that game. The players didn’t have any fire until it was too late. If they were not just going through the motions, they would have wiped the field with tiger high.

That was inexcusable. The University of Tennessee had never lost to tiger high. Since I am from Memphis, it was that much worse. To me, it was worse than losing to Georgia State...
In the tiger high game, we did lose our defensive leader when al Wilson left the game early on th game. We were sitting next to Al's mother and she was very upset when Al was hurt. Also, the refs blew the game when they failed to call the punt returner was allowed to score when he was really tackled. We actually won that game had the refs made the correct call on that one play. The drive back that night was very long.
It seems we always had /have a tough game with Memphis.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Caught up last night while trying to send electronical prescriptions. As of 1/1/21, all opioid Rxs must be sent electronically. Something was going on with our server or the software last night. Took an hour to send 6 patients’ Rxs. Normally takes about 2 minutes each. Got frustrated and decided to read VN...wasn’t that far behind.

The electronic Rxs are great except for times like these. Also with COVID, lots of manufacturers are behind. If the exact pharmacy is backordered on a prescribed med, they can’t transfer the Rx to another pharmacy or give the Rx to the patients like the old written Rxs...

Reactions: pharmvol10 and ugg
1990 Bama game was worse, IMO. It was not as big a game, but it was the absolute worst I have ever felt at the end of a game.
Legend has it Catbone was conceived that night. His powers were so weak when he was a child that he could not do anything but watch good things happen. But his powers grew immensely as he reached 11 and 12 years old and they have grown stronger ever since.

And yes, he was conceived in Jamaica as well. There are tie-ins here with other legends that I cannot go into right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back