Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the schedule I’m thinking the team goes 6-6, but 7-5 or 8-4 would make me really happy and isn’t impossible.

But I’m hoping those losses are of the 45-35, 52-45 variety and not 24-13, 35-10....let’s at least put up some points and be entertaining for once!!

Looking at the schedule I’m thinking the team goes 6-6, but 7-5 or 8-4 would make me really happy and isn’t impossible.

But I’m hoping those losses are of the 45-35, 52-45 variety and not 24-13, 35-10....let’s at least put up some points and be entertaining for once!!
Anything less than 6-6, and I'll be disappointed.

I usually don't feel too comfortable sharing personal information online and such but I spend a lot of time on here.

My grandfather passed away today. I've had great grandparents pass when I was a kid and teen. But this is an indescribable pain at the moment. He was my papaw. But growing up without a dad he also stepped up in that role so much throughout my life. It hurts because he was only 63, I never thought this would happen anytime this soon. He never got to see me marry or have a kid of my own, I have a lot of regrets but deep down I know he wouldn't want me feeling guilty about anything. He would want me to live. That's what I plan on doing.

Oh by the way, BIG ORANGE FAN UNTIL THE VERY END. He always joked he wanted to be put in the body farm in Knoxville. But hes being buried with a beautiful power T. This is why no matter the state of the program, I'll never give up on UT. It was one of things I bonded with my papaw the most.
Heart felt condolences

Anything less than 6-6, and I'll be disappointed.

Same. I understand the state of the program but this is the easiest our schedule has been in a LONG time. There are 4 “buy” games on the schedule and then you have Vandy and South Carolina at home. Regardless of our baggage, those should be 6 wins if this staff is as genius on the offensive side of the ball as they are advertised.

Anything above 6-6 is just gravy.

Honestly I'm not sure you'd need any special shoes for lifting. Some people have squat shoes but I just put 5 lb weights down to lift my heels slightly when I squat. If you're going to be doing sprints, you could still look at the Nike's Air Zoom Pegasus. They are very lightweight. Here's a link below--I've really enjoyed them. I normally do 2-4 mile runs but will occasionally do some sprints

Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 37 Men's Running Shoe. Nike.com
I'm starting to worry about all you guys not worried about dropping some weight on them lil toes, should be wearing some steel toe boots, imo.

Yep...crazy woman hit me dead in the face with an iron skillet once..but at least she didn't almost kill me that time..

Another time she put several crushed up Valium and Klonopin in shot of Jack after I had been up for four days and was already crashing...really lucky she didn't kill me that time...🥴

Tell Lucy I said "hey".

While waiting on the Spring roster to be posted I took a stab at trying to figure out what our personnel might look like on the defensive side of the ball. From what I could gather from comments at the end of last year from Pruitt and I assume speculation from Vol Recruiting I’m guessing we have a number of guys returning as 5th year seniors. In general if I’m in the ball park with these groupings I think we could probably use a couple more linebackers, you know, like if anyone knew of a couple blue chip guys that might be available. Still, since I’m figuring we’re going to be scheming out of a 4-2-5 and occasionally, maybe 3-3-5, we may not need as many linebackers as we might for a 3-4 base.

I think the strength of the defense will be Garner’s group and he has some guys to work with. I was thinking the guys we’ve recruited to be outside linebackers may in some cases move back to WDE or SDE but if we do we may not have a lot left in the linebacking room. I moved Kenny Solomon back to CB from WR so that may not be where he ends up. I started to move Beasley back to safety but taking anything out of the linebacking room seems a bit precarious for me. Maybe we get Marley to put on a bit of weight just in case. I don’t know.

I created a table to show defensive interceptions. The orange highlight is when Martinez was with us before, the years for Heupel at UCF are shaded, as are the years for Banks at Penn State. The SEC line is for SEC best that year and is provided for reference.

ScreenHunter 674.png

I also created a table to show a comparison for defensive sacks. The highlights are the same and the SEC best for that year is provided for reference.

ScreenHunter 676.png

I suspect with our new defense we'll get back to a respectable number of interceptions but the big jump in performance by our defense may come in the form of a more effective pass rush and a higher number of sacks. jmo.

Here is my stab at what the defensive position groups may look like:

ScreenHunter 670.png

ScreenHunter 671.png

ScreenHunter 669.png

One more comment and this is maybe a bit sobering. File this under it’s still more about the jimmies and joes than it is the X’s and O’s. This is how the Missouri offense performed against two of our annual opponents (which we take for granted we should always beat). In 2016 Missouri had the 5th highest scoring offense in the conference and in 2017 they have the #1 scoring offense in the conference. The point of this post is that some teams are easier to score against than others.

ScreenHunter 677.png

I think it’s easy to run up the score on lightweights if you want to win the year-end scoring contest but it’s a bit more difficult to score on teams with a defensive pulse. In the final analysis it takes both scheme and talent. In 2016 when MO lost to SC that was Muschamp’s first year and SC was coming off of their 3-9 season in 2015. I think both SC and UK had a talent advantage over MO and Stoops has been reasonably solid as a coach for UK. We would have fired him after his second year with us. He’s a good fit there and their fans seem to believe in him. They’re not expecting much I don’t think.

The advantage Tennessee has enjoyed over our lesser opponents throughout our history has been I would argue our talent advantage. It helps to not have a coach with his head up his butt but in the end it’s the guys on the field who gain yards and score points.

I think we likely beat both UK and SC this year and it will be mostly because we’ll still enjoy a talent advantage. I think what Heupel brings to the table is a willingness and maybe eagerness to let our guys play. He’s never beat SC or UK arguably because he’s never had what it takes. It takes our edge in talent, hopefully. jmo.

It's like Danny White told his wife when he found out he could come to Tennessee. He could win a championship here.

We are still Tennessee.

Last edited:
While waiting on the Spring roster to be posted I took a stab at trying to figure out what our personnel might look like on the defensive side of the ball. From what I could gather from comments at the end of last year from Pruitt and I assume speculation from Vol Recruiting I’m guessing we have a number of guys returning as 5th year seniors. In general if I’m in the ball park with these groupings I think we could probably use a couple more linebackers, you know, like if anyone knew of a couple blue chip guys that might be available. Still, since I’m figuring we’re going to be scheming out of a 4-2-5 and occasionally, maybe 3-3-5, we may not need as many linebackers as we might for a 3-4 base.

I think the strength of the defense will be Garner’s group and he has some guys to work with. I was thinking the guys we’ve recruited to be outside linebackers may in some cases move back to WDE or SDE but if we do we may not have a lot left in the linebacking room. I moved Kenny Solomon back to CB from WR so that may not be where he ends up. I started to move Beasley back to safety but taking anything out of the linebacking room seems a bit precarious for me. Maybe we get Marley to put on a bit of weight just in case. I don’t know.

I created a table to show defensive interceptions. The orange highlight is when Martinez was with us before, the years for Heupel at UCF are shaded, as are the years for Banks at Penn State. The SEC line is for SEC best that year and is provided for reference.

View attachment 355451

I also created a table to show a comparison for defensive sacks. The highlights are the same and the SEC best for that year is provided for reference.

View attachment 355453

I suspect with our new defense we'll get back to a respectable number of interceptions but the big jump in performance by our defense may come in the form of a more effective pass rush and a higher number of sacks. jmo.

View attachment 355467

View attachment 355468

View attachment 355469
I dusted off my old Ti85 and put all this in. It came back with WGWTFA!

View attachment 355451

View attachment 355453

View attachment 355467

View attachment 355468

View attachment 355469
Love this. Any Big10 and AAC stats for context in the INTs? Also would defensive sacks need an Auburn DL sack number for comparison as well?

Yep...crazy woman hit me dead in the face with an iron skillet once..but at least she didn't almost kill me that time..

Another time she put several crushed up Valium and Klonopin in shot of Jack after I had been up for four days and was already crashing...really lucky she didn't kill me that time...🥴
I know a lady who caught her husband having an affair and, while he was sleeping, super glued his penis to his stomach. He had major problems when he woke up the next morning! That was her first husband. She later caught her 2nd cheating on her. She took her SUV, which had a trailor hitch on it, and repeatedly backed it into the driver's side of his SUV. Actually, though, she is a smart and sweet lady lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back