Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think Mizzou and Ole Miss will eat our defenses lunch., tough match ups in both cases for our defense. now if they go, especially ole miss, and have a turnover fest...by all means....

6-6, 2-6. 7-5, 3-5 if we can find a way to beat Kentucky, Mizzou or Ole miss.

Just like our O should eat up Ole Miss D. They gave up nearly 40 per game last year.

And Mizzou offense wasn’t good last year. 26.7 ppg. Again, I like Bazelak but he started 8 games last season and threw 0 TD in 5 of those starts. 7 TD, 6 INT on the year.

Yes I agree with South Carolina. With Pitt we have an outside shot at, I think they're actually going to be pretty solid this year.

I’m not so sure Pitt will be as solid in ’21 as you may think. Think Mississippi State and their #1 in the nation defense of 2018. The next year it fell to #73. Why? They lost 4 guys, 2 on the DL and 2 DBs to the draft.

The strength of Pitt’s team this past year was all on their defensive line. It literally was the only true strength of the team. If you can stop the run and pressure the quarterback your defense will be elite. Pitt had 2 senior defensive ends that earned All-American honors and along with a starting DT are all going to be playing in the NFL in ’21. Pitt, just like MSU, is not Alabama. I’m reasonably confident they can’t replace that talent in a jiffy. jmo.

I think they have a good coach. I just don’t think they have the talent to play with us absent some once is a decade or more gems and I can’t see that they have those. Their defense will follow the pattern of MSU. It will tank into below average performance. Overall I think they’ll have an average to below average team and I think we’ll likely have an above average to almost good team. Plus the game is in Neyland. At this point I would say going into game week we will likely be the favorites, as things stand now. jmo.

PITTSBURGH—Pitt senior defensive ends Patrick Jones II and Rashad Weaver each earned consensus All-America status for the 2020 season, the NCAA announced today.
///
Pitt is one of only four schools to have multiple consensus All-Americans this season, joining Alabama, Ohio State and Notre Dame.
///
The last time Pitt had two players earn consensus All-America honors in the same season was 1986 (offensive tackle Randy Dixon and defensive end Tony Woods).
///
The Panthers last had two defensive consensus All-Americans in the same year in 1977 (tackle Randy Holloway and safety Bob Jury).

I’d bet the uk game is closer than the mizzou game... I feel like people think oh it’s mizzou we should win, but they improved over the year last year and now it’s year 2.. I’ve also heard josh Pate say and I think there is validity to it: that if all you did was switch the helmets on the Pitt and UT game people would pick pitt to win, so that game may not be a slam dunk either..

Did Mizzou get all that better throughout the year tho?

They lost to UGA 49-14 and to Miss St 51-32 to end the season.

Relax hound dog, 😂. It was the funniest “I’ll cut you” gif. I’m a man. And not a Modern-day American Man. An actual, biological one with facial hair and a pp.

iu

Saturday
Sep. 4Bowling Green FalconsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 11Pitt PanthersNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 18Tennessee Tech Golden EaglesNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 25at Florida GatorsBen Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FLTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 2at Missouri TigersFaurot Field, Columbia, MOTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 9South Carolina GamecocksNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 16Ole Miss RebelsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 23at Alabama Crimson TideBryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, ALTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 30OFFSaturday
Nov. 6at Kentucky WildcatsKroger Field, Lexington, KYTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 13Georgia BulldogsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 20South Alabama JaguarsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 27Vanderbilt CommodoresNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBA

Think you have to tier these:
Likely W's - Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama
50/50 leaning W - South Carolina, Vanderbilt
50/50 leaning L - Pitt, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Kentucky
Likely L's - Florida, Alabama, Georgia

Pitt is too early in the season to call one way or another. I'd think we'd still be gelling but it would be a helluva win early.
@ Missouri is asking a lot, but maybe Heupel gets the team up for a former employer.
South Carolina features a new coach as well, the game is at home, likely a bounce-back spot. Maybe our offense is clicking by then.
Ole Miss is at home, and will likely be a raucous crowd if we're filling it up, but Kiffin has a big head start on Heupel in a lot of ways. I do not envy our defense on this day.
@ Kentucky is also asking a lot, and they are a steady program now. Would be a tall task to outperform them on the road late in the season when attrition is catching up to us.
Vanderbilt is a huge game for both coaches, but I think we have the edge. Chance to end the season on a high note.

It bodes well for us that so many split games are at home.

I could see 5-7 with 6-6 as a manageable stretch goal. I think we have 3 wins coming out of the bye with Kentucky, Georgia, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt left to get to bowl eligibility. You just have to wonder if attrition, injuries, or attitude are an issue. You also have to think our defense is wrecked by then. Can we score 150+ points in the month of November?
5-7

Just like our O should eat up Ole Miss D. They gave up nearly 40 per game last year.

And Mizzou offense wasn’t good last year. 26.7 ppg. Again, I like Bazelak but he started 8 games last season and threw 0 TD in 5 of those starts. 7 TD, 6 INT on the year.
possible. just haven't seen evidence yet that's what happens with our offense. I'm optimistic there, but if i'm being asked about records for year 1 in the newest experiment that is Tennessee football, forgive me, but i'm hedging all bets. lol. 5-7 wouldn't shock me. the only thing that would is we were over 7 wins.

in fact i'd probably say a good over/under for us 5.5-6.5....i'd take the under on 6.5 and the over on 5.5.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
I’m not so sure Pitt will be as solid in ’21 as you may think. Think Mississippi State and their #1 in the nation defense of 2018. The next year it fell to #73. Why? They lost 4 guys, 2 on the DL and 2 DBs to the draft.

The strength of Pitt’s team this past year was all on their defensive line. It literally was the only true strength of the team. If you can stop the run and pressure the quarterback your defense will be elite. Pitt had 2 senior defensive ends that earned All-American honors and along with a starting DT are all going to be playing in the NFL in ’21. Pitt, just like MSU, is not Alabama. I’m reasonably confident they can’t replace that talent in a jiffy. jmo.

I think they have a good coach. I just don’t think they have the talent to play with us absent some once is a decade or more gems and I can’t see that they have those. Their defense will follow the pattern of MSU. It will tank into below average performance. Overall I think they’ll have an average to below average team and I think we’ll likely have an above average to almost good team. Plus the game is in Neyland. At this point I would say going into game week we will likely be the favorites, as things stand now. jmo.
yeah, i don't expect Pitt to be "awesome". i dn't think they suck out loud, but that really should be a winnable game. i'm sure they think the same about us, which is fair.

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
yeah, i don't expect Pitt to be "awesome". i dn't think they suck out loud, but that really should be a winnable game. i'm sure they think the same about us, which is fair.
Pitt played UCF in 2018 and 2019. 1-1. The point being our speed won't be new to them.

We are more talented than UCF, obviously, but their roster likely was a better fit for Heupel's system on Day 1. Going to be an interesting matchup.

SG1 sports projects 5-7 with the following chance (in a range) to win each game:

Bowling Green: 75 - 90%
Pittsburgh: 41 - 59%
Tennessee Tech: 90+%
@ Florida: 10 - 25%
@ Missouri: 26 - 40%
South Carolina: 41 - 59%
Ole Miss: 10 - 25%
@ Alabama: < 10%
@ Kentucky: 26 - 40%
Georgia: < 10%
South Alabama: 75 - 90%
Vanderbilt: 60 - 74%

Saturday
Sep. 4Bowling Green FalconsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 18Tennessee Tech Golden EaglesNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 25at Florida GatorsBen Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FLTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 9South Carolina GamecocksNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 23at Alabama Crimson TideBryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, ALTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 30OFFSaturday
Nov. 20South Alabama JaguarsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday

Pitt is too early in the season to call one way or another. I'd think we'd still be gelling but it would be a helluva win early.
@ Missouri is asking a lot, but maybe Heupel gets the team up for a former employer.
South Carolina features a new coach as well, the game is at home, likely a bounce-back spot. Maybe our offense is clicking by then.
Ole Miss is at home, and will likely be a raucous crowd if we're filling it up, but Kiffin has a big head start on Heupel in a lot of ways. I do not envy our defense on this day.
@ Kentucky is also asking a lot, and they are a steady program now. Would be a tall task to outperform them on the road late in the season when attrition is catching up to us.
Vanderbilt is a huge game for both coaches, but I think we have the edge. Chance to end the season on a high note.

I could see 5-7 with 6-6 as a manageable stretch goal. I think we have 3 wins coming out of the bye with Kentucky, Georgia, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt left to get to bowl eligibility. You just have to wonder if attrition, injuries, or attitude are an issue. You also have to think our defense is wrecked by then. Can we score 150+ points in the month of November?
All I see is Dubs

I usually don't feel too comfortable sharing personal information online and such but I spend a lot of time on here.

My grandfather passed away today. I've had great grandparents pass when I was a kid and teen. But this is an indescribable pain at the moment. He was my papaw. But growing up without a dad he also stepped up in that role so much throughout my life. It hurts because he was only 63, I never thought this would happen anytime this soon. He never got to see me marry or have a kid of my own, I have a lot of regrets but deep down I know he wouldn't want me feeling guilty about anything. He would want me to live. That's what I plan on doing.

Oh by the way, BIG ORANGE FAN UNTIL THE VERY END. He always joked he wanted to be put in the body farm in Knoxville. But hes being buried with a beautiful power T. This is why no matter the state of the program, I'll never give up on UT. It was one of things I bonded with my papaw the most.

Did Mizzou get all that better throughout the year tho?

They lost to UGA 49-14 and to Miss St 51-32 to end the season.
I think their record would had been better if they would have started the season with Connor B playing like he did at the middle And end of his true freshman season... I don’t think they are a good team.. just one that is closer to a 50/50 game than anyone here seems to think

I usually don't feel too comfortable sharing personal information online and such but I spend a lot of time on here.

My grandfather passed away today. I've had great grandparents pass when I was a kid and teen. But this is an indescribable pain at the moment. He was my papaw. But growing up without a dad he also stepped up in that role so much throughout my life. It hurts because he was only 63, I never thought this would happen anytime this soon. He never got to see me marry or have a kid of my own, I have a lot of regrets but deep down I know he wouldn't want me feeling guilty about anything. He would want me to live. That's what I plan on doing.

Oh by the way, BIG ORANGE FAN UNTIL THE VERY END. He always joked he wanted to be put in the body farm in Knoxville. But hes being buried with a beautiful power T. This is why no matter the state of the program, I'll never give up on UT. It was one of things I bonded with my papaw the most.

Thanks for sharing. May God give you peace in this time of sorrow.

SG1 sports projects 5-7 with the following chance (in a range) to win each game:

Bowling Green: 75 - 90%
Pittsburgh: 41 - 59%
Tennessee Tech: 90+%
@ Florida: 10 - 25%
@ Missouri: 26 - 40%
South Carolina: 41 - 59%
Ole Miss: 10 - 25%
@ Alabama: < 10%
@ Kentucky: 26 - 40%
Georgia: < 10%
South Alabama: 75 - 90%
Vanderbilt: 60 - 74%

Fairly good predictions. Not liking to see that prediction with Kentucky. Aren't we supposed to beat them every year?

I need new workout/training shoes...

Any recommendations?

I like my shoes to have some orange on them.
Are you going to be running extended distances? I've usually bought Asics and love them but I bought 2 pairs of the Nike Pegasus and they are great. Lot of my friends wear ON shoes.

Feel you on the Papaw Vols brother.
We got your back.

Go Vols

Saturday
Oct. 30OFFSaturday

12-0

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
No. Really about lifting and half mile sprints

Honestly I'm not sure you'd need any special shoes for lifting. Some people have squat shoes but I just put 5 lb weights down to lift my heels slightly when I squat. If you're going to be doing sprints, you could still look at the Nike's Air Zoom Pegasus. They are very lightweight. Here's a link below--I've really enjoyed them. I normally do 2-4 mile runs but will occasionally do some sprints

Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 37 Men's Running Shoe. Nike.com

Reactions: SpringBokVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back