@ Vandy: Wed, 2/24/2021, SEC NW, 9pm (TN 70, VU 58)

You really are only scanning the surface by touting our record, predictions, projections, etc. I’m not even really upset with our record. Like you said, we are actually on schedule. I’m disappointed with the product, the lack of improvement, the continued mistakes, and the stale offense. Those things aren’t reflected in surface information. I’m disappointed in what I’m watching because we could be so much better and we have shown that, at times. You would just hope to expect more of the best version of ourselves at this point of our schedule, and we are consistently seeing the worst version.

Like @Vols8086 said, we are 6-5 in our last 11 games. We aren’t getting better. We haven’t fixed any of our issues. We should be better with the talent on the floor.

Reactions: cncchris33
The problem is not our overall record, it is that we are 6-5 in our last 11 games. Had that been our record the first 11 games that would have been excused/expected due to all that was going on and us relying on quite a few young players and newcomers. The fact that the second half of our season is .500 ball is why people think this is an underachievement. I'm sure you realize that though...

What you said isn't incorrect, but your posting numbers without any sort of context to sunshine pump isn't exactly genuine either.

I realize basketball is season long...we’ve won 4 of our last 6, see I can pick and choose timeframes too. I would like to click and put it all together in time for the tourney, that’s what’s important, but fact is season projections were pretty much right on track...and no, I don’t think if we started 6-5 that you would have seen a calm and understanding forum lol.

You really are only scanning the surface by touting our record, predictions, projections, etc. I’m not even really upset with our record. Like you said, we are actually on schedule. I’m disappointed with the product, the lack of improvement, the continued mistakes, and the stale offense. Those things aren’t reflected in surface information. I’m disappointed in what I’m watching because we could be so much better and we have shown that, at times. You would just hope to expect more of the best version of ourselves at this point of our schedule, and we are consistently seeing the worst version.

So the worst version of this team is able to produce the exact expected results? That’s impressive.

1. Sure, but why make definitive claims? Like this team has sucked, or underachieved, or given up, or that a coaching change is needed, or that Barnes should retire etc?

2. Kansas is nobody? Also winning next 2 would put us in contention for 2nd or 3rd.

3. Exactly, why claim something that hasn’t happened? So winning the SECT but Game 1 loss and you’re happy? Interesting.

4. Agree, but we are still finding a way to win enough to be right around what we were projected to be...like others I hope we figure it out right in time.

1) Well they are underachieving right now, they’re 6-5 in their last 11.

2) Freaking hate playing OOC in January, I always merge it with conference. Kansas was a good OOC win.

3) I want to win the SECT so bad I might actually take that.

4) And again, you’re ignoring that we are regressing. If I said after our December portion we’d be 10-6 in conference you wouldn’t have taken it and you would have been disappointed.

1) Well they are underachieving right now, they’re 6-5 in their last 11.

2) Freaking hate playing OOC in January, I always merge it with conference. Kansas was a good OOC win.

3) I want to win the SECT so bad I might actually take that.

4) And again, you’re ignoring that we are regressing. If I said after our December portion we’d be 10-6 in conference you wouldn’t have taken it and you would have been disappointed.
1. 4-2 in their last 6

2. Yup, Kansas is real good win

3. I’d like to win it but not at expense of NCAAT

4. Eh, if it included a waxing of Kansas I would be more open...I wouldn’t jump at joy and probably would’ve taken our chances of beating it, but I’m also not currently jumping for joy, I’m just not driving off a cliff like some.

I realize basketball is season long...we’ve won 4 of our last 6, see I can pick and choose timeframes too. I would like to click and put it all together in time for the tourney, that’s what’s important, but fact is season projections were pretty much right on track...and no, I don’t think if we started 6-5 that you would have seen a calm and understanding forum lol.
Agree with the last statement.

If we started 6-5 and were now 16-6, yes this would be a very calm and understanding place right now versus starting 10-1 and going 6-5 since.

1. 4-2 in their last 6

2. Yup, Kansas is real good win

3. I’d like to win it but not at expense of NCAAT

4. Eh, if it included a waxing of Kansas I would be more open...I wouldn’t jump at joy and probably would’ve taken our chances of beating it, but I’m also not currently jumping for joy, I’m just not driving off a cliff like some.

1) All four wins against sub .500 teams

2) 👍🏻

3) It doesn’t work that way so it’s a moot point anyways from both of us lol

4) Have you watched the last two games? Does that look like a team on the right path?

Reactions: cncchris33
So the worst version of this team is able to produce the exact expected results? That’s impressive.
The expected result last night wasn’t a dogfight inside 4 minutes against a heavily neutered 6-12 Vanderbilt team.

Again, you are only the skimming the surface with the information you are lending credence to, particularly our record and projection, things I’ve already said I’m not unhappy with.

Stop looking at the surface and instead, believe what your eyes tell you. This team has glaring issues and they aren’t getting better, despite their overall record, their record in the last 6 games, or last 11 games. If you can’t admit that, then also realize it is unlikely that they suddenly start bucking that trend, then you aren’t being honest with yourself. It is possible to fix the problems, but at some point you almost have to just assume what you have seen over the past several games is the version of this team you are going to most often see. For whatever reason, it just isn’t clicking for them consistently.

Reactions: Vol49er and zjcvols
If we started 6-5 and were now 16-6, yes this would be a very calm and understanding place right now versus starting 10-1 and going 6-5 since.
This is what you said, not that after then going 10-1 what the temperature would be...

“Had that been our record the first 11 games that would have been excused/expected due to all that was going on and us relying on quite a few young players and newcomers.”

It would not at all have been excused or expected, GTFO

Can only play the teams in front of you...we want to point out 6-4 and not mention teams but then ignore 4-2?

Sure during that 6-5 stretch we’ve beaten (checks notes) 2 teams with winning records...so still not great!

1) All four wins against sub .500 teams

2) 👍🏻

3) It doesn’t work that way so it’s a moot point anyways from both of us lol

4) Have you watched the last two games? Does that look like a team on the right path?
1. With another coming Saturday, does a win not count or help our seeding?

4. The defense was again elite last night, offensively was much of the same with turnovers an issue..again, I’m not ready to pull the plug on the season, go ahead if you want to.

The expected result last night wasn’t a dogfight inside 4 minutes against a heavily neutered 6-12 Vanderbilt team.

Again, you are only the skimming the surface with the information you are lending credence to, particularly our record and projection, things I’ve already said I’m not unhappy with.

Stop looking at the surface and instead, believe what your eyes tell you. This team has glaring issues and they aren’t getting better, despite their overall record, their record in the last 6 games, or last 11 games. If you can’t admit that, then also realize it is unlikely that they suddenly start bucking that trend, then you aren’t being honest with yourself. It is possible to fix the problems, but at some point you almost have to just assume what you have seen over the past several games is the version of this team you are going to most often see. For whatever reason, it just isn’t clicking for them consistently.
This team is as inconsistent as they come, I’ve said as much, I’m not claiming they’re going to win a national championship? But less than a month ago they waxed a good Kansas team, so do I think they could get a 4/5seed and win 2 games? Yes I do, but who knows. Do I think they could lose in a 5/12 opening game? Yes I do.

Please tell me where I have ever said they have no issues or weaknesses?

Is Tennessee playing good basketball right now
By right now do you mean a window of time? Or literally if they were to take the court tonight against someone? I think this team could roll out there and beat a Top 10 team tomorrow, or lose to an in ranked team, define that how you want. That’s the case for just about any team outside the Top 5 right now though, Arkansas waxed Bama last night 🤷🏻‍♂️

By right now do you mean a window of time? Or literally if they were to take the court tonight against someone? I think this team could roll out there and beat a Top 10 team tomorrow, or lose to an in ranked team, define that how you want. That’s the case for just about any team outside the Top 5 right now though, Arkansas waxed Bama last night 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't think there is much in our recent performance to justify that sort of optimism. I mean "could" they? Sure, anything can happen. Last year's team beat a top ten team on the road. But I think they are a couple of tiers below "just outside the Top 5" as of right now

Reactions: zjcvols

Completely disagree we could beat a top 10 team right now.

I don't think there is much in our recent performance to justify that sort of optimism. I mean "could" they? Sure, anything can happen. Last year's team beat a top ten team on the road. But I think they are a couple of tiers below "just outside the Top 5" as of right now

Well people want to use 6-4 as proof of what we’ve done recently, 1 of those 6 wins came against Top 15 Kansas...a 20 point beat down which wasn’t even that close really.

This team is as inconsistent as they come, I’ve said as much, I’m not claiming they’re going to win a national championship? But less than a month ago they waxed a good Kansas team, so do I think they could get a 4/5seed and win 2 games? Yes I do, but who knows. Do I think they could lose in a 5/12 opening game? Yes I do.

Please tell me where I have ever said they have no issues or weaknesses?
I’m not saying that you have said that, but it’s what you aren’t saying. Your defense of them, their record, and their predictions is continually absent of the acknowledgment of those flaws. You just keep harping on those positive things and excusing away their recent poor performances by saying a win is a win, take it and move on, 4-2 in their last 6, etc. It just seems like you are shilling for the positive while unassertively admitting what we all see and are speaking out on, but simultaneously being combative with posters, even level-headed ones, who are starting to admit that there are significant issues/problems with this team, despite their overall record.

Reactions: Vol49er

VN Store

Back