Where is Corey Walker?

Its not uncommon for a player of his HS caliber not see the court his freshman year, its just easier for a orange blood not provide constant answers to the "where is he and why hasn't he played" than a blue blood. He and his family might be okay with him staying safer on the sidelines this year, working on his body, and anticipating a 1 or 2 year wait b4 entering the draft. I didn't like the assistant coaches tone and answer last week either... but I've seen Walker in and around the huddle during games multiple times this year and I have a hard time believing a player of his elk coming out of high school would be willing to be seen as often in games as he has if he wasn't planning on being here. jmo

Its not uncommon for a player of his HS caliber not see the court his freshman year, its just easier for a orange blood not provide constant answers to the "where is he and why hasn't he played" than a blue blood. He and his family might be okay with him staying safer on the sidelines this year, working on his body, and anticipating a 1 or 2 year wait b4 entering the draft. I didn't like the assistant coaches tone and answer last week either... but I've seen Walker in and around the huddle during games multiple times this year and I have a hard time believing a player of his elk coming out of high school would be willing to be seen as often in games as he has if he wasn't planning on being here. jmo
I don't know what is going on except that he had a foot injury during the late Fall. Therefore, I will not speculate on where he stands on playing this year.

I think it's some kind of unofficial suspension or academic issue that is being kept from the press. Nothing else makes sense.

Reactions: walkenvol
I remember a basketball scout who works for 247 but I do not remember his name, saying that of the 3 freshman that Walker might not be as good a match with coach Barnes. He said that Walker might be as talented but had some maturing to do. I do not think that Walker takes playing defense as seriously as the other two freshmen. The coaches keep saying he has some work to be to become the player they know he can be. We will see if he grows or transfers out. I hope he grows and become a really good player for the Vols and later makes it to the NBA.

I remember a basketball scout who works for 247 but I do not remember his name, saying that of the 3 freshman that Walker might not be as good a match with coach Barnes. He said that Walker might be as talented but had some maturing to do. I do not think that Walker takes playing defense as seriously as the other two freshmen. The coaches keep saying he has some work to be to become the player they know he can be. We will see if he grows or transfers out. I hope he grows and become a really good player for the Vols and later makes it to the NBA.
We heard this kind of stuff about Derrick Walker as well. Must be a last name thing.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
He had Covid, was contract traced, and had a foot injury which put him way behind

What your saying is most likely true but it still doesn't explain why he wouldn't at least get a minute or two of mop up time.

I’ve answered this 100x, Barnes will play him when he feels he has met his level of expectation as head coach. That includes getting in better shape via training and nutrition, grasping the concepts on both ends among other things...he has obviously yet to do that.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
I’ve answered this 100x, Barnes will play him when he feels he has met his level of expectation as head coach. That includes getting in better shape via training and nutrition, grasping the concepts on both ends among other things...he has obviously yet to do that.
I hope your right but conventional wisdom tells me there is more to this story. True freshman typically will get mop up minutes well before they get a full grasp of the offense and defense. That's kind of why you put them out there in that situation.

Reactions: walkenvol
I hope your right but conventional wisdom tells me there is more to this story. True freshman typically will get mop up minutes well before they get a full grasp of the offense and defense. That's kind of why you put them out there in that situation.
DJ Burns didn’t, they didn’t have to redshirt him they chose to, essentially same thing with Walker.

If red shirts were happening it would make sense. Burns played in the exhibition games during mop up and looked terrible. There was more going on in that situation too.
There wasn’t at that time, again, I’m telling you what’s going on...you want to speculate there’s more then go for it.

Odd you would compare Walker in this year of free eligibility to Burns who skipped his senior year of high school to get better training at UT.
The comparison wasn’t about when each chose to go to college, it was about the fact UT chose to sit them out instead of finding mop up minutes for them.

If we can get this kid back to playing like this then he'll end up as an All SEC player by the time he leaves.

He was arguably the best player on the court in this game.

Reactions: The Dog
The comparison wasn’t about when each chose to go to college, it was about the fact UT chose to sit them out instead of finding mop up minutes for them.

Choosing to sit Burns so that he doesn't lose a year of eligibility is entirely different than sitting Walker when this year doesn't count eligibility wise. That was the point others were making.

If this were a normal year he would no doubt have been redshirted, but since that is irrelevant this year, there is some cause for concern that he can't even get mop up minutes anywhere assuming he is healthy enough to play.

Choosing to sit Burns so that he doesn't lose a year of eligibility is entirely different than sitting Walker when this year doesn't count eligibility wise. That was the point others were making.

If this were a normal year he would no doubt have been redshirted, but since that is irrelevant this year, there is some cause for concern that he can't even get mop up minutes anywhere assuming he is healthy enough to play.
So, if you know what is involved with this particular situation, please elaborate.

VN Store

Back