Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s too much hindsight judgment these days. We can watch a video 20 times and say “well when he did this then that dude did that” and try to justify anyone’s position. Then it’s the “Well, dude is good at fighting so he shouldn’t fight so hard” nonsense. He’s not a pro boxer or pro MMA guy as far as we know, just an amateur.

Reality is some guy is in my face and puts hands on me in real-time, then I can react and defend myself. Doesn’t matter if I’m better at it than him. I can take it too far, but that’s up to the judge. If the first punch broke a dudes face then sorry. Don’t provoke strangers and you probably won’t get your orbital bone wrecked.

The reality is none of that matters, both will suffer consequences for their actions. It's called accountability, neither is in the "right" in that situation because of where it ended up escalating to. This isn't an elementary school playground shoving match, or a tussle among siblings in the backyard during a tackle football game. That's four grown men involved in an assault in a public place, while also likely being intoxicated. All four of them are responsible, period.

Reactions: drvenner
Wanya hasn't been properly motivated to reach his potential yet. Obviously, Oklahoma feels their OL coach can get it out of him. Friend never did. The question for us is if Ellarbee could have? I would have loved for him to have gotten that chance.

I agree, it would've been nice for him to stay and see what the new coaches could've done. Also can't forget that by investigating to the level we did, that any player associated with improper recruiting tactics would've faced rumors and potential scrutiny if they'd stayed. I honestly think in addition to being able to show the NCAA that we replaced the coaches/AD/recruiting office, we will also be able to say that any player improperly recruited also was purged from the program. It's the main reason I feel that HT/QC and maybe Darnell Wright might all be gone before fall.

Same argument could be made that Sham bridges us through to Key's replacement as well. Whether that be a young guy on the current roster, or a transfer with multiple years to play. I hated that we lost Key, maybe more than any of the others to be honest. However, it doesn't mean he's not replaceable here, regardless of the career he has at Ok.
Everyone's replaceable, that doesn't negate the loss. I'd much rather Key have stayed than transferred. It certainly hurts depth, and whether or not the next guy is equivalent in talent is a crap shoot. It's a bird in hand situation. We had the bird in hand, then we lost him. That hurts.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
There’s too much hindsight judgment these days. We can watch a video 20 times and say “well when he did this then that dude did that” and try to justify anyone’s position. Then it’s the “Well, dude is good at fighting so he shouldn’t fight so hard” nonsense. He’s not a pro boxer or pro MMA guy as far as we know, just an amateur.

Reality is some guy is in my face and puts hands on me in real-time, then I can react and defend myself. Doesn’t matter if I’m better at it than him. I can take it too far, but that’s up to the judge. If the first punch broke a dudes face then sorry. Don’t provoke strangers and you probably won’t get your orbital bone wrecked.
Well said.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
The reality is none of that matters, both will suffer consequences for their actions. It's called accountability, neither is in the "right" in that situation because of where it ended up escalating to. This isn't an elementary school playground shoving match, or a tussle among siblings in the backyard during a tackle football game. That's four grown men involved in an assault in a public place, while also likely being intoxicated. All four of them are responsible, period.
So if you are shopping at Kroger and I come up and shove you and threaten you, you are just going to ask me to leave? And if you decide to defend yourself then you are in the wrong too? Because by your logic anyone who defends themselves or gets involved in an altercation even if it isn’t their fault, they should be punished too. No offense, if you shove me in any public setting or threaten me at all, I’m gonna wreck you no matter where I am at. And no it is not wrong to defend yourself. If my kid bullied someone and got their a** handed to them, I would make them go apologize for starting the fight with a bruised up face. It would be their fault.

That’s up to the judge. I’m sure they’ll try to sue each other then realize the windfall will be less than their medical and legal bills, then they’ll just drop it all.

So if you are shopping at Kroger and I come up and shove you and threaten you, you are just going to ask me to leave? And if you decide to defend yourself then you are in the wrong too? Because by your logic anyone who defends themselves or gets involved in an altercation even if it isn’t their fault, they should be punished too. No offense, if you shove me in any public setting or threaten me at all, I’m gonna wreck you no matter where I am at. And no it is not wrong to defend yourself. If my kid bullied someone and got their a** handed to them, I would make them go apologize for starting the fight with a bruised up face. It would be their fault.

If we get into a fight in Kroger it's still assault and in a public place regardless. Both parties are at fault because neither of us in your made-up scenery prevented the fight from happening.

I wouldn't shove you in a public setting or threaten you though, that's "my logic" that you seemed to have missed. I get it though, you like to fight and see no issue with throwing down over spilled dollar pints. That's fine, do you don't project your beliefs on anyone else as it being "right" or "wrong" though since it's just your opinion on the matter. In a court of law both parties could face charges, that's the only thing I'm pointing out. Guy who swung first or guy who got hit if either presses charges then both are liable for consequences for their involvement in the altercation, pointing that out isn't some invitation to lecture about what's "manly" or not in the situation.

You'll also notice I didn't even use the word wrong in my comment, and I put right in quotations for a reason. Right & Wrong is skewed person to person. It's why rulings are called judgements, since depending on who hears the case the verdict may not be the same. I never even mentioned punishment man, I said all four of those grown ass men are responsible for their actions.

If we get into a fight in Kroger it's still assault and in a public place regardless. Both parties are at fault because neither of us in your made-up scenery prevented the fight from happening.

I wouldn't shove you in a public setting or threaten you though, that's "my logic" that you seemed to have missed. I get it though, you like to fight and see no issue with throwing down over spilled dollar pints. That's fine, do you don't project your beliefs on anyone else as it being "right" or "wrong" though since it's just your opinion on the matter. In a court of law both parties could face charges, that's the only thing I'm pointing out. Guy who swung first or guy who got hit if either presses charges then both are liable for consequences for their involvement in the altercation, pointing that out isn't some invitation to lecture about what's "manly" or not in the situation.

You'll also notice I didn't even use the word wrong in my comment, and I put right in quotations for a reason. Right & Wrong is skewed person to person. It's why rulings are called judgements, since depending on who hears the case the verdict may not be the same.
What about a fight at Waffle House? Asking for a friend.

I'll hang up an listen.

The thing in court is, they will take into account that the Wrestler/MMA guy has had training.

If it comes out that the OK Kicker started it and followed the guy into the bathroom etc that’s the only way I see him not receiving any charges. They will look at if he had the ability to leave. Etc.

It’ll be interesting how that investigation/court battle pan out.
I think you also have to think about if the response was more than what was required for self-defense. I am not sure what the laws in Oklahoma are, but I am not sure you can continue to beat on somebody after the threat to your safety has passed. The argument would be how sure can you be that person won't still retaliate.

I'm not sure where you all are getting the "trained fighter" stuff from, unless I missed something. UFC becoming so popular has also lead to a lot of "bros" that try to do what they see in MMA, I know quite a few guys like this myself who haven't done a lick of actual training or sparring but attempt to mimic what they've seen in the UFC. The fact the guy had full rear mount in a public bathroom and tried to sink in a rear naked choke would have me questioning if he has any legit training. Most trained fighters I've seen in various YT fights don't even attempt to sink in any sort of submissions. I've seen one I think rear mount, but he used it to flatten out a drunk guy who tackled him. Didn't even throw a punch at the guy, just reversed him and got his back then flattened him out and held his arms on the floor while waiting for security/police to arrive.

Someone posted earlier he was an MMA instructor which is what my comment was based on. I don't know anything about fighting technique myself which is why I try to be nice : ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back