Texas, 'He Is Lying. People Are Dying'

One thing a lot of people ignore is that as you add solar, wind, and natural gas to the grid, it really affects the dynamics of the utilities' baseload capacity especially if weather or other factors threaten any or all of them then. Those are more commonly fossil and nuclear, and have higher capital and operating and maintenance costs. I still stick largely by my two cowboys with a lot of money, a big jet engine, and a generator on the gas generating electric power - think Enron operating on the cheap. As you add those three elements to the grid it really squeezes utilities to maintain and continue operation of coal and nuclear plants. Generally natural gas has been reliable and comparatively cheap because of simplicity in operation - why Enron was involved in the first place - a couple of cowboys and a lot of money. Starting up or throttling a gas turbine is a much simpler operation than fossil and certainly easier than a nuclear plant. So as you add gas, wind, and solar to the mix and in a capacity that digs into coal and nuclear baseload then you are talking about idling plants with very expensive operating costs - you absolutely don't start fossil and nuclear plants by flipping a switch, and an idled plant not producing because the utility has to absorb what solar and wind operators are adding to the grid is a costly proposition. On the chart when the blue and yellow swamp the fossil and nuclear you are putting your electric power in the hands of amateurs running for fun and profits over serious utility businesses.

Since TX has an abundance of gas, the lower fuel and operating costs make it very attractive. Do as little as possible and pump out electrons for profit works works for suppliers who amount to amateur utilities that might even cut and run if NG prices climb. Somebody brought up earlier, do you prepare for the isolated (every hundred or even ten year event) or do you play the odds. Texans have a choice to make on that. On the other hand when the Chinese turn off our "smart" grid someday, Texans may be the ones enjoying the other side of the "logical" game. My choice is dedicated, regulated utilities generating, managing, and distributing the power input to the grid - just makes sense from a logistical and resource management standpoint. I disagree completely with one big interconnected power grid - preferring smaller regional grids perhaps with "unsmart interconnects".
I think the TVA has the best balanced power supply in the country. Around 50% is supplied by nuclear and hydro and the balance is a combo of coal, gas, wind and solar. They can run most of their demand from nuclear and coal and bring on gas turbines when they need the capacity. IIt concerns me that they made a commitment to get rid of all of their coal plants over the next 15-20 years. I think that's a mistake and maybe the TX cluster will make them re-examine that decision.

You can't get something for nothing, and solar and wind are more expensive than credited because you have to have standby power to back them up, but that's somebody else's problem. Somebody has to pay for the backup whether it's operating costs of an idled plant or outages. Somebody has to pay, and a lot of different part time operators pumping electrons into the grid when times are good don't pay those costs. You can't get something for nothing, and somebody will pay when it goes wrong - and it's likely the consumer in this kind of scenario.
Maybe we can get Bill Gates to pay? After all he lives in a 60,000 square foot house and he travels in a private jet. The next 10 generations of his progeny will pollute as much as all of the members of Volnation combined will.

Reactions: AM64
I think the TVA has the best balanced power supply in the country. Around 50% is supplied by nuclear and hydro and the balance is a combo of coal, gas, wind and solar. They can run most of their demand from nuclear and coal and bring on gas turbines when they need the capacity. IIt concerns me that they made a commitment to get rid of all of their coal plants over the next 15-20 years. I think that's a mistake and maybe the TX cluster will make them re-examine that decision.

My brother and I were discussing that earlier. We aren't quite sure with fossil plant closures how it's all working right now. TVA did apparently buy NG generation that somebody (perhaps Enron) built. You can't reasonably manage competing sources pumping power into a grid when one does baseload and the other doesn't have the same requirement - just a dumb concept, and I'll side with TVA every day on shutting out suppliers like that.

Reactions: VolStrom
Maybe we can get Bill Gates to pay? After all he lives in a 60,000 square foot house and he travels in a private jet. The next 10 generations of his progeny will pollute as much as all of the members of Volnation combined will.

Maybe? All Billy Boy Gates wants is to be in the spotlight for his 15 minutes & preach his thoughts from his ivory tower.
Back when PCs came into being in the 90s, I used to really like what Gates did in the development of computer software & all the blah blah blah part of it. But now, he needs to STFU & enjoy his multi-billions & stay out of sight & out of mind. Don't lecture us about how to live our lives. You're not Jesus Christ & we don't need to hear anything you have to say about anything. So .... for now, go float your boat down a river of no return buster.

Hey you got a link to that bill handy I’d like to read up on it and shove it in the inbox of my state rep if they didn’t act on it. TIA
Nope, sorry. There wasn’t a link in the article. That’s why I asked if anybody knew about it. Hard to trust any report these days unless somebody can confirm it. If it’s true, I figure it will surface. Nobody is going to let them forget it if they did that. By the way, I saw where a Conroe woman filed a $100 million lawsuit against ERCOT. Everybody get in line.

Nope, sorry. There wasn’t a link in the article. That’s why I asked if anybody knew about it. Hard to trust any report these days unless somebody can confirm it. If it’s true, I figure it will surface. Nobody is going to let them forget it if they did that. By the way, I saw where a Conroe woman filed a $100 million lawsuit against ERCOT. Everybody get in line.
Huh. Conroe woman you say. She might live on my street.

Been a ruff 2021 for the red hats so far. Their savior is no longer president, his replacement is kicking ass and getting things done, their favorite mouthpiece kicked the bucket, and now their flagship state can't even keep the power on.
Lol

Have you checked up on your wife, or are the trees still the target?
Wife was able to take her frustration out on 3 pallets of drums this morning putting that stretch wrap in there for me. And then she shut off the water to our house because we sprung a small leak in the piping inside the walls in the master bathroom. Even though we never lost power at our house. Good luck getting a plumber in Texas this month or next.

Huh. Conroe woman you say. She might live on my street.
Yep. Evidently her 11 year old son died in their trailer in the 10 degree cold the other night. Autopsy being done to determine cause of death. Lawsuit claims hypothermia.

Ok thanks I’ll do some digging.

Yep. Evidently her 11 year old son died in their trailer in the 10 degree cold the other night. Autopsy being done to determine cause of death. Lawsuit claims hypothermia.
Sounds like she might have a valid case.

Wife was able to take her frustration out on 3 pallets of drums this morning putting that stretch wrap in there for me. And then she shut off the water to our house because we sprung a small leak in the piping inside the walls in the master bathroom. Even though we never lost power at our house. Good luck getting a plumber in Texas this month or next.
Every Texas plumber in two weeks.
B5F890D3-EF20-4B7B-A941-76494426CB5A.jpeg

That's something I dread. We just had a water leak under the house (not weather related). The only other damage it cause was to the insulation on one short run of ductwork which other than the water bill we hadn't seen yet was the only tipoff. My wife said what's that noise? It was spray against the ductwork that had completely pulled loose from the vent because of the weight. So just water in the crawl space until it evaporated or drained into the ground and replacing pipe and A/C duct - nothing major, but sure makes you think it could have been somewhere else and a lot worse.

That's something I dread. We just had a water leak under the house (not weather related). The only other damage it cause was to the insulation on one short run of ductwork which other than the water bill we hadn't seen yet was the only tipoff. My wife said what's that noise? It was spray against the ductwork that had completely pulled loose from the vent because of the weight. So just water in the crawl space until it evaporated or drained into the ground and replacing pipe and A/C duct - nothing major, but sure makes you think it could have been somewhere else and a lot worse.
On the bright side, I restarted the well pump at my business property this morning and am able to have water in the trailer but as expected have to shut it off to the two warehouse buildings due to busted PVC pipes that are exposed. Luckily there is a hose bib with water pressure so I can even start some tomato plants in my garden area before getting the pipes repaired.

North Dallas, actually I may have found something. ‘Dust Off My Bill’: Turner Tells Lawmakers To Reconsider ERCOT Legislation He Filed In 2011 – Houston Public Media . It says something about a 2011 bill to make ERCOT have backup power sources and to do “weatherization”. Bill didn’t even get a hearing.
Found it. This ties in what what some engineers were saying in a link I provided earlier as well as an opinion piece I posted.

I don’t know if we actually need to add natural gas capacity or insure the natural gas capacity plus reserves have a hardened fuel delivery system. What I’ve read thus far implies the latter but it could really be a mix of both. Some of the engineers in the national review article seemed to indicate that.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/82R/billtext/pdf/HB01986I.pdf#navpanes=0

Reactions: RavinDave and AM64
I’ve already leak check our house. We’re safe this time.

And what in heck is this mess with variable rate deals where people who ran power during the freeze are now facing power bills of $5,000 to $10,000? Talk about a scam. That’s another thing that needs an investigation. We are certainly blessed to have TVA.

Found it. This ties in what what some engineers were saying in a link I provided earlier as well as an opinion piece I posted.

I don’t know if we actually need to add natural gas capacity or insure the natural gas capacity plus reserves have a hardened fuel delivery system. What I’ve read thus far implies the latter but it could really be a mix of both. Some of the engineers in the national review article seemed to indicate that.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/82R/billtext/pdf/HB01986I.pdf#navpanes=0
Thanks. I now have an interest in all of this. Got a daughter and family (including a 2 year old granddaughter) in Houston who went 72 hours with no power. Fortunate to have been able to rotate with some families who had periodic power and water and only had one small pipe break which they shut down the first day with minimal damage and a buddy fixed it for them today. Could have been a whole lot worse.

And what in heck is this mess with variable rate deals where people who ran power during the freeze are now facing power bills of $5,000 to $10,000? Talk about a scam. That’s another thing that needs an investigation. We are certainly blessed to have TVA.
It’s Russian Roulette with your energy bill. We don’t do it we stay with TXU. They’ve already stated our per unit cost won’t increase.

It’s basic supply/demand economics. Some providers allow customers to pay a nominal low monthly fee and then they get the “spot price” for what generation providers are selling energy to the retail resellers for.

It’s very similar to the GameStop short fiasco in the market. If there is no excess supply, the spot price for demand sky rockets. By contract those wholesale retailers pass that thru to the consumer. One reason I’d never even consider it for our energy bill. Stupid games stupid prices and what not.

Thanks. I now have an interest in all of this. Got a daughter and family (including a 2 year old granddaughter) in Houston who went 72 hours with no power. Fortunate to have been able to rotate with some families who had periodic power and water and only had one small pipe break which they shut down the first day with minimal damage and a buddy fixed it for them today. Could have been a whole lot worse.
Glad they made it thru mostly ok sounds like 👍

VN Store

Back