4-2-5 D?

The thing about it is that in today's game, that's the set that most Defense are in a majority of the time anyway. Just a matter of whether there are 3 or 4 guys at the LOS with their hands in the dirt.

Pruitt seemed to favor a 5-1-5 that opened the short middle of the field.
The transition should be easy and help Crouch return if nothing else. The league has moved away from a power run league and is more of a passing league now and that has really changed the role of an LB.

Yeah, 3-4 and 4-3 seem to be going the way of the dodo. I mean, coaches still often call their schemes base 4-3 or 3-4, out of habit and tradition, but I bet if you look through their play calls, you more often see them in 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 these days. Hard to do anything less with offenses frequently/usually splitting 3 or 4 receivers out wide. Whether man or zone, that's a lot to cover--and a lot of risk deep--unless you devote five guys to it.

Even the teams that don't "run spread" are spreading the field to some extent. Consequently, 7 in the box, 4 in the field has given way to 6 in the box, 5 in the field.

4-2-5 & 3-3-5 is my favorite defense and the perfect set against the spread. It will be super interesting to see who will fulfill the role of the hybrid 3rd safety/lb. We absolutely need a ball hawk in that spot.

Reactions: Jhilly05
4-2-5 & 3-3-5 is my favorite defense and the perfect set against the spread. It will be super interesting to see who will fulfill the role of the hybrid 3rd safety/lb. We absolutely need a ball hawk in that spot.
I think Banks coaches safeties and we hire a CB coach since we will feature 5 DBs.

Reactions: sjt18
It seems to me that defenses are either very flexible/multiple to hide weaknesses in athletes or they have the the most physically dominating (bigger, faster, tougher, stronger) players in the league. Tennessee will have to play smarter than other teams until they can recruit the best players in the league. We have to STOP shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties and targeting. I did not like a lot of what Pruitt brought to UT but, he had a sixth sense for calling blitzes of all kinds. As we get physically stronger, faster, dominating athletes on defense, we can probably move to more base alignments.

Reactions: memtownvol
Through the sanction period, we will be undermanned, either in depth or quality of starters.

Given that--and given our offensive needs for more possessions--the most helpful asset we can get from our defensive formation will be how many surprises we can spring from it. What we can't achieve with bodies on the field, we need to achieve through head games and unpredictability.

But at least two big, fast DTs seems a necessity, regardless.

We've seen it a lot. Shoop I think mostly ran it. O's today do not give you much opportunity to run the 4-3 base unless you have extraordinary OLB's who can cover WR's consistently.

Or a 3-4 for that matter . . . Nickel and Dime packages are more the norm these days rather than a down and distance decision, this was stated above, with teams pushing 4 wideouts with TE's running routes against the traditional 4-3 or 3-4 defenses are doomed to giving up large chunk plays.

I like the morphing of defensive philosophies to address the "spread offenses", looking back at Monte Kiffin's Tampa Two scheme I believe that it would be great in today's game.

GBO

Or a 3-4 for that matter . . . Nickel and Dime packages are more the norm these days rather than a down and distance decision, this was stated above, with teams pushing 4 wideouts with TE's running routes against the traditional 4-3 or 3-4 defenses are doomed to giving up large chunk plays.

I like the morphing of defensive philosophies to address the "spread offenses", looking back at Monte Kiffin's Tampa Two scheme I believe that it would be great in today's game.

GBO
I'm not sure it would without Monte calling the plays. Didn't Pruitt run a scheme based on Cover 2?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Pruitt seemed to favor a 5-1-5 that opened the short middle of the field.
The transition should be easy and help Crouch return if nothing else. The league has moved away from a power run league and is more of a passing league now and that has really changed the role of an LB.

I thought Pruitt ran the old 10-0-0 defense. Watching them play, it was hard to believe there were 11 dudes out there sometimes.

It is honestly more or less what we ran most of last year. We were almost always in a 3-3-5, but we usually just brought the OLB up to the line, and he usually had his hand in the dirt. It won't be a huge transition I don't believe.

Reactions: Sarms58
Tamarion McDonald could probably handle that pretty well.

Reactions: LittleVol
I like it. Opportunity to match your talent to the scheme in the LBs and safeties, whether a hybrid guy like Tamarion McDonald or a bruiser like Bryson Eason.

I wish we could've held on to Key Lawrence long enough for Banks to at least make his sales pitch.

Reactions: sbm362
Those of you saying that we have been running this the majority of the time under Pruitt need to learn what the 3-4 is. 3-4 vs 11 personnel or 20 with an H back frequently looks like a 4-2-5 but isn't. A lot of the time, in today's game your outside linebackers in the 3-4 and either flexed, apexed, or walked down. Against 12 personnel or 22 personnel it can even look like the old school 52 or 53. It just depends on the set.
The 4-2-5 has a couple of schools of thought which are interesting. A couple of guys play it as a cover two hybrid with the safety playing at 7 yards as basically an extra linebacker. It can be really confusing to qbs to identify coverages when this style is played. It really helps against inside zone teams. We also frequently got abused against the slant and traditionally, the middle safety in the 4-2-5 is supposed to rob this route and the other two safeties play cover two behind.

Our DB roster is awful and the shelves are bare with underclassmen. Will be difficult to come up with 5 decent starters and likely 7-8 who can contribute.

Every defense is basically a 4-2-5 the body types are mending so much that it’s starting to blend all together. We will be 3-4 in our base I would assume but if your not multiple then your dead in today’s game. Really more important what we are doing in the back end as far as man match zone match then anything else.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back