Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been lucky so far with water. They told us we would have rolling blackouts, but then announced that people had cut back and blackouts were not necessary.
I'm pretty sure about 40% of the population of Austin is just without power. Not even rolling blackouts. Just off. And some friends in Dallas told me it's about the same there.

Interesting read from RTT.

Over at PFF, Seth Galina took a look at some specific differences in offensive approach from the 2020 season. The results offered a stunning contrast.

2020 RPO Rate
UCF: 10th
Tennessee: 104th

2020 Deep Pass Rate
UCF: 11th
Tennessee: 27th

2020 Screen Rate
UCF: 27th
Tennessee: 119th

2020 Play Action Rate
UCF: 4th
Tennessee: 62nd

The Heupel offense is a chip off the old Baylor offense from the early 2010s. It’s performed via a quick diagnosis of pre-snap space and then executed via a power run game inside or a one-on-one vertical shot outside. In an ideal world, they would love to use the one-high versus two-high binary against the defenses they play. When teams show a single-high safety against them, it means they are going to have access to vertical shots on the outside down the sideline. And when teams show a two-high safety against them, it’s the slot receivers who can now play in space.

Basilio's Cliffs' Notes from the interview with the Penn State beat writer yesterday (much more at the link)

How was Banks' work viewed by Penn State fans?

'It was interesting when he was hired from Illinois because Banks was on the Illinois staff that came to State College to recruit players while Penn Start was reeling in the wake of the Sandusky scandal. He was vilified then and Penn State fans bristled when James Franklin hired him. Give Banks credit. He won a lot of his critics over by the solid job he did here.'

Based on what you saw of Banks at Illinois and to some extent PSU what can we expect of him?

I'll tell you this about the approach here. They loved sub packages. They used a star nickel. 5 Db package and 6 DB package. He coached safeties and fans blamed him when Penn State gave up huge chunk plays but I think that was more scheme than busts from Banks' safeties.

The Tony Basilio Show

Last edited:
I’ve skipped over most of the wrestling talk but my two cents is that WWF in the ‘80s was awesome when I was a little kid.

Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, Jake the Snake, Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper, Junkyard Dog, Mean Gene, many others, the Saturday morning cartoon...all fantastic.

Basilio's Cliffs' Notes from the interview with the Penn State beat writer yesterday

How was Banks' work viewed by Penn State fans?

'It was interesting when he was hired from Illinois because Banks was on the Illinois staff that came to State College to recruit players while Penn Start was reeling in the wake of the Sandusky scandal. He was vilified then and Penn State fans bristled when James Franklin hired him. Give Banks credit. He won a lot of his critics over by the solid job he did here.'

Based on what you saw of Banks at Illinois and to some extent PSU what can we expect of him?

I'll tell you this about the approach here. They loved sub packages. They used a star nickel. 5 Db package and 6 DB package. He coached safeties and fans blamed him when Penn State gave up huge chunk plays but I think that was more scheme than busts from Banks' safeties.

The Tony Basilio Show

Sounds like a guy who could benefit from a DL coached by CRG, we’ll see.

I gotta say, I'm pretty much over these damn rolling blackouts around Dallas. It's been going on for two days now------one hour with power and 30 to 45 minutes without power-----all day and night long. I know it's better than a total outage---sorry for those of you without power----but it still sucks.

We have the rolling blackouts and I will raise you that they turned off the water in our city. Saving it for the fire department.
Melting snow to flush toilets is fun 😳

I’ve skipped over most of the wrestling talk but my two cents is that WWF in the ‘80s was awesome when I was a little kid.

Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, Jake the Snake, Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper, Junkyard Dog, Mean Gene, many others, the Saturday morning cartoon...all fantastic.

So were cartoons and Land of the Lost. Then we grew up. lol

Reactions: Hardy
Has anyone heard or commented on Maurer's status? That RTT article wants us to keep him in the conversation for QB. Could have misunderstood, but I thought I heard he was wanting out.

View attachment 352245
i think the belief right now is that he sticks around thru spring, gets a good look at the lay of the land, and likely hits the portal then.....

Has anyone heard or commented on Maurer's status? That RTT article wants us to keep him in the conversation for QB. Could have misunderstood, but I thought I heard he was wanting out.

View attachment 352245
Apparently Heupel recruited him hard to UCF. Maurer is probably more excited about the new coach than most on the team.

I would rather use some spots on transfer (especially linebackers). Let him go, we are fine at runningback.
I agree but we have to sign one of the two In-state backs next year. Right now, Hayden is a OSU lean and James is leaning UGA. We have time to change and I'm hoping they don't commit until after our coaches have had a chance to show them the new system that we'll be implementing. If we can somehow get Ty on board, that would have to help with some of these high profile players within our border. That is why I believe his commitment means more than anything at this point. Plus, it would give us fans a little hope for the future now instead of another kick in the groin.
Go Vols!

Apparently Heupel recruited him hard to UCF. Maurer is probably more excited about the new coach than most on the team.
I think in the right situation Maurer could be a solid QB. He also needs to be more concerned about being a QB than being about every cause he can get his hands on on twitter.

I read an article talking about when these guys would go party at bars there usually was one or two of them that were the "real deal" and you didn't **** with them. This article, the guys they were interviewing, said that guy was Rick Rude.. I thought that was funny.. Ya never know... haaaa
I could see that. That dude seemed pissed off all the time!!
I looked at sid viscous wiki, dude was 6’9”, 317, and sub 10% body fat. That is a BIG man!!

I miss Saturday morning cartoons in general. As a kid, Saturday mornings were something you looked forward to as all 3 major networks had cartoon line ups to fill their mornings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back