Game Thread: (16/19) Lady Vols at (6/5) Texas A&M

Just leave it at we fouled to much 34 free throw attempts to 15 and turned the ball over 17 times to their 7. That was why they won by ten. Next game this one is over.

Just leave it at we fouled to much 34 free throw attempts to 15 and turned the ball over 17 times to their 7. That was why they won by ten. Next game this one is over.
What I saw in this game is a very leg-weary team...no movement at times. Unless they can get motivated to push through this poor play, the next few games will be defeats.

Fake referees calling every little contact even if our girls stand there and raise their hands up.. Looks like referees gave them the win
I agree completely. The referees made terrible non-existent calls against the LadyVols late in the game which more than likely cost them the game through A&M foul shots.

Someone posted earlier that our Post players Key and KK won their battles. It’s obvious to me that Davis and Burrell won theirs also. So if we won 4 out of the 5 battles we should have won easily. Winning 4 out 5 individual matchups should win every game easily correct?

Someone posted earlier that our Post players Key and KK won their battles. It’s obvious to me that Davis and Burrell won theirs also. So if we won 4 out of the 5 battles we should have won easily. Winning 4 out 5 individual matchups should win every game easily correct?
A very slight edge in the post 18 points to 17 and 8 of 18 from the field to 7 of 15 for them. We lost badly at point guard and the bench something like 30 points. Rennia and Rae dominated their positions.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I hate when my fellow RU fans blame the refs for a loss. We fans tend to look at every foul against our team as bogus and every foul against the other team as justified. It's the nature of the beast, the beast being fans.

As an RU fan first and a Lady Vol fan second, I believe I can watch the game with a more unbiased eye. There were a few fouls on both teams that could have been a no call, and a few that weren't called that I though should have been called.

But I rewatched the second half and I didn't see any egregious calls. The last 5 fouls were all correctly called. The three point foul by Burrell was clear. Rae hit her arm. Just look at what happened to the shot. It never reached the basket. It was either a block or a foul and I don't believe Rae hit the ball. She didn't argue and was clearly upset with herself. The next foul was the call on Davis. She almost lost the ball and passed it to a teammate. She got it back and started to make a move with the ball. Unfortunately she exposed the ball in front of her. The A&M player knocked the ball away cleanly and in the battle for the ball, Davis knocked the A&M player over. Another correct call. The last three were fouls by Tennessee trying to get back into the game.

So that's 5 of the 21 fouls that I saw that were correct. In the third quarter, Tennessee had 5 fouls and A&M had 4 I believe. I watched very closely and I didn't see any incorrect calls on either team.

The bottom line is they were only down 1 point with 2:11 left and 2 points with 1:21 remaining. That is pretty darn good. On the road against the No. 6 team with only 1 loss on the season.

This season is a definite improvement over last year. Can't ask much more than that. Next season will be even better.

A very slight edge in the post 18 points to 17 and 8 of 18 from the field to 7 of 15 for them. We lost badly at point guard and the bench something like 30 points. Rennia and Rae dominated their positions.
Ok thank you. So we really did not win the Post matchups those were a push. We did outright win 2 for sure and lost 1 badly. And bench is a loss most every game. The problem is we rely so much on Burrell and Davis but even when they are spectacular we struggle to win vs top teams. I cringe knowing those 2 won’t be here after 2 years ☹️

I hate when my fellow RU fans blame the refs for a loss. We fans tend to look at every foul against our team as bogus and every foul against the other team as justified. It's the nature of the beast, the beast being fans.

As an RU fan first and a Lady Vol fan second, I believe I can watch the game with a more unbiased eye. There were a few fouls on both teams that could have been a no call, and a few that weren't called that I though should have been called.

But I rewatched the second half and I didn't see any egregious calls. The last 5 fouls were all correctly called. The three point foul by Burrell was clear. Rae hit her arm. Just look at what happened to the shot. It never reached the basket. It was either a block or a foul and I don't believe Rae hit the ball. She didn't argue and was clearly upset with herself. The next foul was the call on Davis. She almost lost the ball and passed it to a teammate. She got it back and started to make a move with the ball. Unfortunately she exposed the ball in front of her. The A&M player knocked the ball away cleanly and in the battle for the ball, Davis knocked the A&M player over. Another correct call. The last three were fouls by Tennessee trying to get back into the game.

So that's 5 of the 21 fouls that I saw that were correct. In the third quarter, Tennessee had 5 fouls and A&M had 4 I believe. I watched very closely and I didn't see any incorrect calls on either team.

The bottom line is they were only down 1 point with 2:11 left and 2 points with 1:21 remaining. That is pretty darn good. On the road against the No. 6 team with only 1 loss on the season.

This season is a definite improvement over last year. Can't ask much more than that. Next season will be even better.
Well if not the refs then who can we blame🤷‍♂️

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Ok thank you. So we really did not win the Post matchups those were a push. We did outright win 2 for sure and lost 1 badly. And bench is a loss most every game. The problem is we rely so much on Burrell and Davis but even when they are spectacular we struggle to win vs top teams. I cringe knowing those 2 won’t be here after 2 years ☹️
Didn't even really win the wing matchup, because Pitts needs to be included with Wilson/Wells. They were even in the post and even at the wing. Nixon's biggest advantage at PG was that she didn't make mistakes and she took advantage of Tennessee's miscues. That's not on Jordan. Tennessee's carelessness with the ball and inability to defend without fouling cost them the game more than Jordan's poor shooting.

Didn't even really win the wing matchup, because Pitts needs to be included with Wilson/Wells. They were even in the post and even at the wing. Nixon's biggest advantage at PG was that she didn't make mistakes and she took advantage of Tennessee's miscues. That's not on Jordan. Tennessee's carelessness with the ball and inability to defend without fouling cost them the game more than Jordan's poor shooting.
There is more to matchups than offense.

Well if not the refs then who can we blame🤷‍♂️

Sarcasm noted. I agree with you. The fouls that A&M were drawing came straight from the Rae Burrell/Rennia Davis playbook. Attack the basket and force contact. But for some reason, when other teams use that same strategy, it's the refs fault.

This is one of those games where maybe the reason they lost isn't anyone's fault, and that they were just up against a better opponent.

I hope we get another crack at them on a neutral court.

It actually looked like Rennia realized there wasn’t a player on the court that could guard her. She had a bit of tude🤔

I hope we get another crack at them on a neutral court.

It actually looked like Rennia realized there wasn’t a player on the court that could guard her. She had a bit of tude🤔
Rennia is a very difficult player to defend. Same with Rae. But they gotta lock up their counterparts defensively...especially a team like TAMU that is balanced.

Tennessee's lack of options on offense will be their Achilles' Heel this season. Davis/Burrell have been pretty consistent, but Key should be going off on teams and Horston needs to be a scoring threat. They have no one on the bench that can come in and turn the game around the way that Pitts or Morris can for TAMU. Key didn't play bad, but I'm surprised that Johnson played her even. Ciera showed some really nice post moves and played great on defense.

Should it be three players versus two what if we had a third player like them. Rennia and Rae beat any two players they had playing the wings yesterday that you want to name. Pitts was outstanding off the bench we have no one on the bench like that. Their bench versus our bench was the deciding factor. The point being they have a bench that can play and we don't.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Rennia is a very difficult player to defend. Same with Rae. But they gotta lock up their counterparts defensively...especially a team like TAMU that is balanced.

Tennessee's lack of options on offense will be their Achilles' Heel this season. Davis/Burrell have been pretty consistent, but Key should be going off on teams and Horston needs to be a scoring threat. They have no one on the bench that can come in and turn the game around the way that Pitts or Morris can for TAMU. Key didn't play bad, but I'm surprised that Johnson played her even. Ciera showed some really nice post moves and played great on defense.

Cierra has great foot work and she uses the same moves effectively and repeatedly if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. She sets those illega screens but our players aren’t smart enough to flop or call attention to it if i was Rae and Re i would have been throwing my hands all up in the air and screaming. TAMU is a really good team lead by their senior leaders. Not an easy out for sure

they have the most ranked wins in the country but i also so should be in the convo for a number one seed but i also see why they might not be

Reactions: travis929
Should it be three players versus two what if we had a third player like them. Rennia and Rae beat any two players they had playing the wings yesterday that you want to name. Pitts was outstanding off the bench we have no one on the bench like that. Their bench versus our bench was the deciding factor. The point being they have a bench that can play and we don't.
How do we know 🤷‍♂️

VN Store

Back