Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's exactly the point preacher webb made above, that is hypocrisy, and I wouldn't mind you punching that guy in the nose.

Seriously, Pharisees were the "godly" men of their days , but they were dead inside. Nothing is new under the sun.

That’s my point. I stand on my faith but i am in no way, shape, or form perfect. Nobody else is either though when they walk through that door they pretend to be.

The same folks that say don’t drink wine in church are the same ones who pop the cork as soon as they get home.

Reactions: UTMVol76
That’s being judgmental not hypocrisy. Regardless of religion there are plentyyyyyyy of judgmental hypocrites out there, seems silly to single out one group

But when have you seen someone walk up to a random person they don’t know and tell them they’re tattoo is wrong?

I live in a small town, with small churches, and the way to the light is their way or no way. It happens, a lot here.

I'm simply explaining what it is they are doing and that it is nothing out of the ordinary. Ingroup and between group differences and behavior is an area of heavy overlap in sociology and social psychology. The talk about her work was just an example of a situation where I could see the jokes turning malevolent, because as I see them now they are simply harmless, bad jokes. In my opinion its a weak man to attack a woman with the vitriol that has been fired at Mrs. Mullen. Her actions and some of the pictures are weird, but not deserving of some of the insults she's received.

Maybe its a poor example of fragile masculinity in the conventional sense because I don't subscribe to the term. The whole concept of fragile masculinity is just modern Freudian nonsense. Its a loaded phrase that tries to paint an individual as inherently flawed. Rather than considering more innocent explanations, like simply having a poor sense of humor, it attacks people and accuses them of having a problem. Everything isn't a projection of some complex experienced as a child. Men who make sexist jokes don't necessarily have some issue with women or with their own masculinity. There are many more reasonable and less accusatory explanations.

You seem pretty upset in your post btw. Not very conducive to conversation. Sorry if my disagreement caused you any undue stress.
No undue stress, I'm a marriage counselor and passionate about these kind of issues.

There is nothing Freudian about it. It simply perpetuates the issue to say it's just the way it is, or sexist jokes aren't indicative. And fragile masculinity is just another term for insecure, didn't know it was a hotbutton word. The only people who punch down while joking are inherently insecure.

What kind of staff could he put together
iu

No undue stress, I'm a marriage counselor and passionate about these kind of issues.

There is nothing Freudian about it. It simply perpetuates the issue to say it's just the way it is, or sexist jokes aren't indicative. And fragile masculinity is just another term for insecure, didn't know it was a hotbutton word. The only people who punch down while joking are inherently insecure.
I work with a lot of women and I make jokes about generalizations towards the fairer sex occasionally. But boy do they crack a lot of jokes about men. And my wife and her friends are always reposting jokes at their husband's expense.

I think jokes can be like urban legends. There's some kernel of truth in there a lot of times. Sometimes a joke is just a joke. It's okay to laugh at ourselves. Malice lies in the intent not the reference.

Siap

“Monday morning update> Sources tell FootballScoop Ryan Day and Gene Smith have made their appeal to Washington to remain with the Buckeyes. A decision is expected today.”
I thought you meant they were appealing to washington DC to be allowed to stay at OSU. I was wondering what on earth I missed.

Reactions: Playdo
I see a few folks talking about overpaying. What is overpaying is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I'm not cheap and I wish we'd quit going cheap. Spend what it takes to get and keep who you want. jmo.

View attachment 349587
All I know is if someone offers me 3 times my current salary I don’t care what problems they have I’m coming 😂

In all seriousness how would you feel walking into a church and the first person walks up to you, sees your tattoo, and says “you shouldn’t have done that”

Or

Your walking down a street at a carnival. A preachers sees you and stops you cold. The first question is: Do yoy know where your going when you die? When I asked him the same question he gets all choked up and shocked.

Tell me how that’s at all a good thing to do

So, first example you give, maybe you were in the wrong church. This person is being nosey to say the least, and possibly even judgmental. Didn't their momma teach them not to say everything they think? Again, just because someone goes to church or is religious, doesn't make them Christian. By the way, it was the religious elite of the day that crucified Jesus.

Second example, 1) do you know he's a preacher or do you assume that? and 2) what if the Holy Spirit of God impressed his heart to stop you and ask you that? You gonna argue with God? Did it offend you that someone asked you if you knew where you were going to spend eternity?

Maybe the fella that asked you if you knew where you were going when you died was being an arrogant, judgmental, pharisaical hypocrite.
Maybe he approached you just because of how you look (I have no idea how you look ... but's that's the way you framed it).
Or maybe he genuinely cared about your soul and where you will spend eternity.
And what if God, put it on his heart to approach you?

Maybe you don't need to be asked. Maybe you already have that settled with God. Maybe it wasn't even for your benefit. Maybe God was testing him to see if he would be obedient and approach someone who was tatted up (or whatever) and that he was afraid of or intimidated by your appearance.

I hand out gospel tracts to total strangers all the time, every chance I get. I don't care what color they are, or if they've got tats, or if they look like they just came from church in the south wearing their Sunday best. None of that matters. What matters is the souls of men.

All that said, I'm not gonna argue with you about it (I haven't been arguing heretofore and apologize if I came off that way).
All I'm saying is, even Jesus said, "Not everyone that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven."
Some people claim to be Christian, but aren't very Christian at all, while others are very genuine in their Christianity.
The Lord knows the difference and is keeping a perfect record.

Well, you answered my question earlier, and I have tried to answer your question as to how it's possibly a good thing to stop a total stranger and ask them if they know where they're going to spend eternity.
I hope I was helpful in some way.
Love you fellow Vol fan.

In all seriousness how would you feel walking into a church and the first person walks up to you, sees your tattoo, and says “you shouldn’t have done that”

Or

Your walking down a street at a carnival. A preachers sees you and stops you cold. The first question is: Do yoy know where your going when you die? When I asked him the same question he gets all choked up and shocked.

Tell me how that’s at all a good thing to do
Sounds like you have run into legalistic types who think Christianity is a set of rules and regulations. Unfortunately that is not uncommon. I praise God for my salvation and that He gives me Grace and Forgiveness because I stumble and struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back