Al Washington (Potential DC)

Another Sal Sunseri type hire!!
This is a dumb comparison from someone too lazy to look up the circumstances behind why Sunseri failed here.

In Wilcox time here Tennessee ran the 4-3 and had success. Dooley made a bad hire by bringing in Sunseri not because he was a bad coach but because he was switching from the 4-3 to a 3-4 in a make or break year without the players to do it.

So do some research before jumping to snap judgments just because Tennessee didn't hire brent venables or muschamp doesn't make it a bad hire.

We're likely to have a poor line, we're uncertain at QB, we have several young skill players and we're running an up tempo offense. I'm amazed DCs aren't lined up begging for the job

Last edited:
Ok all the talk about Sunseri and yes he was awful but remember Bob Shoop and his resume’.He was gonna have us a lockdown defense and he sucked too.

Reactions: mikemist
He made a 5 word post and you’ve repeatedly argued about it with both he and I, and used the word “nauseating”. Pretty sure it’s not his post that’s bringing down the morale on the board.
Compare the likes. Everyone is tired of the stupid and repetitive negative. Bye Felicia.

Would love the hire! Great recruiter and would bring aggressive philosophies to the defense. Perfect for a Huepel system. Unproven but you gotta get an opportunity at DC at some point. We would actually see some energy on defense.

I would prefer someone who has DC experience. Otherwise, he sounds like a good hire.

May be hard pull from Ohio State but Washington could get opportunity with the Vols that may be years away in Columbus. However, this could be a situation that OSU gives major raise for him to stay. Definitely an enthusiastic up and comer type coach.

“We not going to lose our stinger.” Sign him up.

I think it is amazing how every sports media writer is throwing every name out there as a candidate and NOBODY except those in charge know. We will find out soon and I hope it is the right one.

Last edited:
Compare the likes. Everyone is tired of the stupid and repetitive negative. Bye Felicia.

First of all....only total clowns and amateurs toot their horns about likes from anonymous strangers on a message board. Second of all, I personally have been nothing but positive about this hire and haven’t really noticed the other poster being constantly negative. So as someone who’s been on this board for 10+ years and who has racked up about 6K of these “likes “ you’re talking about........ I’ll go ahead and say what’s on my mind. If you find it “ negative and nauseating “ maybe you can find a hobby thats a bit more your speed. Felisha.

Last edited:
This is a dumb comparison from someone too lazy to look up the circumstances behind why Sunseri failed here.

In Wilcox time here Tennessee ran the 4-3 and had success. Dooley made a bad hire by bringing in Sunseri not because he was a bad coach but because he was switching from the 4-3 to a 3-4 in a make or break year without the players to do it.

So do some research before jumping to snap judgments just because Tennessee didn't hire brent venables or muschamp doesn't make it a bad hire.

So Sunseri has had numerous other DC jobs in the 3-4 since he’s a great coordinator and it was just a scheme problem?? Right?

Not even close..This guy can actually Coach and Recruit. Sunseri wasn't a bad hire, he was just a bad hire for a defense than was recruited to run the exact opposite scheme.
Sal Sunseri can coach and recruit. He’s just not a DC. LB is his ceiling. Him and Washington are very comparable at this point. Only difference to this point is Sal had done it at bigger schools instead of just one and has coached in the NFL as well. AW could be the next star DC, no one will know until he gets a shot. High risk, high reward situation.

Found this to be interesting. If hired he can recruit. Just not sure he’s been in the game long enough to call shots on D tho. Maybe as a CO DC type role. What do you all think?

Ohio State swipes another Michigan defensive coach with Al Washington joining Buckeyes

Ohio State football’s Al Washington debuts at No. 1 in 247Sports recruiter rankings: Buckeyes Recruiting Roundup

I don't know either, but I do know the great coaches we had on defense last year fielded a D that plain sucked.

Kerry Coombs is Ohio St DC. Mattison was Co-DC when he retired. I guess coach Day could have named Washington Co-DC and who's to say he won't at this point. I keep reading that Tennessee isn't the place for learning on the job. I certainly don't know what's going on but we don't know how many DC's they've talked to and been told, no thanks. So we might have to hire an Al Washington because no experienced DC wants to come here. I'll trust CJH to get the best man willing to take on the task and hopefully it will work out. GBO

Last edited:

VN Store

Back