Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know who our DC prospects are but let’s say we’ve heard some names like Steele, House, and Jancek. So I will comment on those.

Steele is arguably a pretty good DC BUT is he willing to run the type of defense that JH might want. I’m not so sure we could expect Kevin to suborn his accomplished talent/reputation to a proscription he might not professionally believe in. I figure the only way he’d be interested is if he can run HIS defense. jmo.

The other issue that might exist with Kevin is his tie in to Fulmer and perhaps others outside the offices. If he’s not happy or not getting his way it could be a headache. While I’m not 100% bought in to DW or JH, I think in one area I would support them, OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW.

Matt House had a two year stint as DC at Kentucky to write home about. Well, maybe don’t write about 2017 but 2018 and a 10-win season might be a good story. One concern I’ve been looking into is what the hell happened between him and Mark Stoops? Matt was trying to get out of there and it was a messy situation and eventually he escaped. After his 10-win 2018 season he bolted to the NFL as a position coach, albeit a position coach on a back-to-back super bowl team. From what I’ve read I think he may not have really had the full reins as DC at Kentucky. Stoops it is suggested interferes on both sides of the ball but more on the defensive side. I don’t know but I get the idea Matt wasn’t entirely happy working for Mark. I also wonder if we ended up hiring Matt would it be based on Mark’s behind the scenes control of the defense that Matt supposedly coordinated. It looks like the year after Matt left Kentucky their defense remained one of the top scoring defenses in the conference. They apparently didn’t really miss him, at least not right away. jmo.

As far as Jancek, I heard a story after he was fired that he blew up in a staff meeting and told Butch Jones to his face that he didn’t know a damn thing about football. I don’t know if that actually happened or not but at the time I considered that a point in John’s favor. There were rumors he may have been living the sugar daddy lifestyle. I don’t know about that either. Similar to Bob Shoop’s son, Jancek’s sons remained at UT after the father’s departure and remained involved in the UT athletics programs. There is evidence that Jancek’s 2015 defense is probably the best we fielded in quite some time here at UT, the lack of aggression on 4th downs, particularly down in the swamp, notwithstanding.

This is probably not a popular take but I think I’d be more optimistic if we brought Jancek back than if we went with either of the other two. My condition would be can he run the style of defense that JH seems to want. I’m guessing John would probably say yes. With questions all around I might consider the best case scenario as being bringing both Matt and John into handle the defense, assuming they can work well together in whatever roles they’re offered. jmo.

We probably only have a couple more days of this coaching search where we can speculate. Come Monday, it’s probably going to be time to saddle up for the ride. jmo.
i think for $3 he should be willing to look at whatever defense hypeful tells him to run (didnt read past that)

Not sensitive at all. I had a reason for asking. I realize it is in the area of Johnson City and now because of the amazing interwebs, I know it is at 601 Spring St. Johnson City. But, guess what, I am not sure where Spring St. is. I will just ask my BIL since it is so annoying to you that I asked the location of somewhere on here. The next time you see one of my posts, do us both a favor and scroll on by.

Dang dude, no need to be so dramatic. Just kiddng with you, hence the smiley face on my initial reply. But you got it hoss, will not engage with you any more. Sorry I upset you.

Reactions: VFL in SC
Huepel is the not the salesman that Butch is...Butch could sell and he had a stud recruiter on D. Butch’s propaganda machine was strong.
We have no idea what he is. He seems like a genuine dude and that will go over well in living rooms. UT will recruit top twenty no matter what. Once we win, we will recruit top fifteen easily.

I can't do that. It doesn't matter what the situation but if I have a bad experience or just don't like something about the first visit, I just won't go back. My wife says I'm nuts :cool::cool::cool:.

I think that’s fair! I’ve done that plenty of times. Now I just then try to say I had a bad experience rather than “that place is awful” which is what I used to do.

I don’t know who our DC prospects are but let’s say we’ve heard some names like Steele, House, and Jancek. So I will comment on those.

Steele is arguably a pretty good DC BUT is he willing to run the type of defense that JH might want. I’m not so sure we could expect Kevin to suborn his accomplished talent/reputation to a proscription he might not professionally believe in. I figure the only way he’d be interested is if he can run HIS defense. jmo.

The other issue that might exist with Kevin is his tie in to Fulmer and perhaps others outside the offices. If he’s not happy or not getting his way it could be a headache. While I’m not 100% bought in to DW or JH, I think in one area I would support them, OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW.

Matt House had a two year stint as DC at Kentucky to write home about. Well, maybe don’t write about 2017 but 2018 and a 10-win season might be a good story. One concern I’ve been looking into is what the hell happened between him and Mark Stoops? Matt was trying to get out of there and it was a messy situation and eventually he escaped. After his 10-win 2018 season he bolted to the NFL as a position coach, albeit a position coach on a back-to-back super bowl team. From what I’ve read I think he may not have really had the full reins as DC at Kentucky. Stoops it is suggested interferes on both sides of the ball but more on the defensive side. I don’t know but I get the idea Matt wasn’t entirely happy working for Mark. I also wonder if we ended up hiring Matt would it be based on Mark’s behind the scenes control of the defense that Matt supposedly coordinated. It looks like the year after Matt left Kentucky their defense remained one of the top scoring defenses in the conference. They apparently didn’t really miss him, at least not right away. jmo.

As far as Jancek, I heard a story after he was fired that he blew up in a staff meeting and told Butch Jones to his face that he didn’t know a damn thing about football. I don’t know if that actually happened or not but at the time I considered that a point in John’s favor. There were rumors he may have been living the sugar daddy lifestyle. I don’t know about that either. Similar to Bob Shoop’s son, Jancek’s sons remained at UT after the father’s departure and remained involved in the UT athletics programs. There is evidence that Jancek’s 2015 defense is probably the best we fielded in quite some time here at UT, the lack of aggression on 4th downs, particularly down in the swamp, notwithstanding.

This is probably not a popular take but I think I’d be more optimistic if we brought Jancek back than if we went with either of the other two. My condition would be can he run the style of defense that JH seems to want. I’m guessing John would probably say yes. With questions all around I might consider the best case scenario as being bringing both Matt and John into handle the defense, assuming they can work well together in whatever roles they’re offered. jmo.

We probably only have a couple more days of this coaching search where we can speculate. Come Monday, it’s probably going to be time to saddle up for the ride. jmo.

Me, halfway through a @ChattaTNVol post

1BA51535-6F27-4AAF-820E-0D8D2194F0FD.jpeg

AP is not optimistic about us landing these in state players. CJH too late to the party
He is probably right...Heupel is going to have to do it the hard way. There are no quick fixes, or shortcuts to take. He will have to win while outmanned and shorthanded before recruiting gets better...that is just our reality now.

Not sensitive at all. I had a reason for asking. I realize it is in the area of Johnson City and now because of the amazing interwebs, I know it is at 601 Spring St. Johnson City. But, guess what, I am not sure where Spring St. is. I will just ask my BIL since it is so annoying to you that I asked the location of somewhere on here. The next time you see one of my posts, do us both a favor and scroll on by.
spring st is downtown. in old Usary's bldg. Acctoss from Second Level, overlooking a storage facility. fun fact, Rafael used to own an Itslian place on other side of town called ...Portico. They spent a small fortune on a wood fired grill imported from Italy. He sold the location and moved to 601 Spring St. The wood fired grill stayed, and became Rock's. Still on pt. Guess in process he perfected smoking with Cherry wood. He tried a night club then finally Southern Craft. You can tell they got it right. The burnt ends may be best ive ever had.

House specializes in Whiskey drinks. Also, has its own brewery. Decent 5-6 main stays, step up from Yeehaw. 24 oz pours usually $5.

I thought we already had the DC and staff hired and were just waiting on the announcement and some already had a good idea of who it was? Now I see Basillio saying Jancek interviewing? WTF...

Is this like when we were told we were swinging big and big FU money and we already got him locked up and we are going BIG this time and then go JH?

Hence the problem with believing “leaks” and rumors, from press wannabe’s , insiders, and mama basement boys on message boards.
The desire to know before it happens makes for a very gullible fellow

The problem is no blue chip QB waits until well into the season of his senior year before committing. All the big programs have their guys locked up by then.
Oh well, there's Horn too and if we get neither, we have HB/Salter for a minimum of 3 years, with a Manning around the corner too.

We just need to show out with this offense and the future at QB will set itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back