Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to look at Sack Percentage for this type of thing because offenses can vary so much and effect total sacks.

UCF on Sacks Allowed
2018: 5.16% (31st)
2019: 5.42% (46th)
2020: 4.82% (35th)

For references during that time period
UT
2018: 6.95% (75th)
2019: 5.80% (57th)
2020: 9.24% (115th)

Florida
2018: 5.16% (30th)
2019: 5.18% (41st)
2020: 4.06% (21st)
One would assume that an important variable would be the quality of opposition defenses. We play 3-5 top ten defenses a year. Add a three step drop with long developing plays and an qb who holds the ball too long, and it starts to feel like this comparison comes apart. Not asking you to do the additional work to add those inputs, but it would be interesting to see how that changes the outputs.

We are closing the gap
giphy.gif

Some notes:

For the time being I’m not comparing our recruiting to elite teams in our conference. I don’t think our immediate objective can be to become elite. I think the first step is to become a consistently competent football team, on both sides of the ball, and in special teams. In other words I think we need to shoot for being solid.

I went and looked at the five classes Matt Campbell has recruited to Iowa State. Of course he has a good record for developing his recruits and has had some success against superiorly talented teams and what may be considered elite programs. No he doesn’t play our schedule but I figure if he can field a team that can compete for the B12 title that’s got to be pretty good. The JUCO OT we just signed was recruited to ISU by Campbell so I’m good. So skip the stars and rankings done by commercial outfits – I want to know if one of the coaches I like thinks enough of the guy to offer a scholarship.

To all those who are still griping about the hire or some other aspect of where we’re at or where we may be headed, once you’ve made your point you don’t really need to harp on it. I mean almost everyone in this thread had a negative reaction to hiring Butch Jones but jumped on board once the deal was done. The same with Pruitt. The initial leak of Heupel to be our coach wasn’t widely received with acclaim. Quite the contrary. But in this thread everyone pretty much gets on board for at least 2 or 3 years once the press conference is over. All the negativity is put on the shelf for the time being in the hopes it won’t have to be brought back in the future. So far we’ve always brought it back in due course. So if you’re still stuck in complaining mode, your timing is off. Consider parking it on the shelf until such a time as you might find a host of like-minded folks.

One of the things I do when we hire a new coach is I go find the press conferences they give after a loss. I did this with Pruitt in particular because I wanted to know how he handled getting beat by Butch Jones. He was lost. I’ve looked at I guess 3 or 4 of JH’s pressers from losses to teams they may have been expected to beat. It sort of gives you an idea of what to expect going forward. Character is defined more in adversity than anything else. Neither Butch nor Jeremy had it. People will judge JH on their own.

I think this could possibly sort of work or not. We’re going to find out one way or the other and, whichever way we think this may end up right now, only time will tell. In this thread we don’t need DW to tell us to be positive after a hire is made. It’s what comes natural for most who post here. It doesn’t always last but that’s something we can worry about down the road.

Here’s something I can share. I was maybe one of the last to jump on the fire Butch train and I didn’t really think we were going to fire Jeremy. I could get boiling mad at both of them at times and wish we were in different hands but I don’t think I have ever led the pack in advocating for a replacement. I actually thought there was a possibility that Jeremy might have been able to bounce back in 2021 but I really didn’t know anything about all the behind the scenes stuff. Now I don’t see how he could have stayed. Anyway, I figure sometime in the next 2 or 3 years whether it’s the sentiment today or not we’ll be a bit less forgiving of any shortcomings we may perceive in our program and its leadership. Today is not that day. jmo.

I get that everyone is multiple but it’s how Many times each “base” defense plays 5 DBs is where the differences lie.

I’d like to know the real % but my assumption is the 4-3/3-4 “base” defenses have 5 DBs 50-60% of the time and the 3-3-5 is 80-90%.

I’d love to see the actual numbers with that

@HankHill what’s your take on those %

It’s really hard to say because it all depends on who you match up against. Take the rams for example. They were in 11 personnel almost exclusively a few years ago. Now they are the in it the least of all nfl teams. They use multiple tightends and backs. A team like the Ravens forces you to have 3-4 LBs on the field most of the game Bc they usually only send out 1 or 2 WRs.

When you are in a true nickel defense whether you run a 3 man front (3-3-5) or a 4 man front(4-2-5)... you’re gonna have 5 DBs either way. The players in the backend won’t change that much it’s more dependent on if your coach prefers more man or zone coverage. Ie: josh Norman. He’s a zone corner, he was great in Carolina and when he went to Washington to a man scheme he struggled.

It’s really about your OLBs, DE, and DTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back