Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm worried about pass protection

2017 sacks allowed at UCF (pre Elarbee): 5th
2018 sacks allowed: 23rd
2019 sacks allowed: 53rd
2020 sacks allowed: 76th
Of course you are. good grief cat get a new shtick. This one is old and tired.

In 2020 UCF QB's were sacked 22 times on 415 drop backs.

By comparison, Our QB's were sacked 29 times on 285 pass attempts.

A better comparison, Bama with the best OL in college football, their QB was sacked 19 times on 425 attempts. That's almost identical

Last edited:
Uh no

The only schools he named were schools that ran the 3-3-5 in their Nickel defense packages. That doesn’t tell me anything about schools that run it as their base defense. Not even close sorry
He made it clear that very few teams run a true base defense. Would you say we ran a 3-4 last year. What percentage of plays did we go out of a 3-4? You read what you wanted to read out of his post.

@vols 30 gonna love this one :)

Seriously, we need OL. At this point, I think it's worth a flyer and see how he develops.

Welcome, Jeremiah!!

I didn't really expect to land any new names. Not going to complain about stars or offer lists. He's only been on the job for a week.

But his recruiting motto for 2022 better be -

4 and 5 star only or GTFO

Reactions: drvenner
I get that but here is the way I see a base 3-3-5 vs the teams he mentioned that play a 3-3-5 in certain passing downs when they are in the nickel

The team that plays the 4-3 or even the 3-4 just replace a LB with a 5th DB when it’s a passing down and they want to play the nickel. That’s what we see with Georgia, Bama and LSU that @HankHill mentioned

it’s my assumption the base 3-3-5 would keep the same personale on the field more and thus requires that 5th DB to be more Versatile being able to be a run stopper and good in pass coverages. So as you say that hybrid player is very important.

Well that was my main point. There’s no such thing really as a 3-4 or 4-3 base anymore because that’s not what you’re in the majority of time. So why don’t we call teams sub packages their base when they are in it the majority of time?

At the end of the day we just have to play the defense that best suits our current roster each year Bc unlike the nfl you’re not gonna have these fixtures for 4-8 years on defenses to really build around.

To sum up my view on all of it.... you can always match the offense when they go heavy when the time comes. It’s way more important to sure up your sub package and let that be your go to defense.

He made it clear that very few teams run a true base defense. Would you say we ran a 3-4 last year. What percentage of plays did we go out of a 3-4? You read what you wanted to read out of his post.

I get that everyone is multiple but it’s how Many times each “base” defense plays 5 DBs is where the differences lie.

I’d like to know the real % but my assumption is the 4-3/3-4 “base” defenses have 5 DBs 50-60% of the time and the 3-3-5 is 80-90%.

I’d love to see the actual numbers with that

@HankHill what’s your take on those %

I didn't really expect to land any new names. Not going to complain about stars or offer lists. He's only been on the job for a week.

But his recruiting motto for 2022 better be -

4 and 5 star only or GTFO
Very reasonable. I am with you for this year. Probably will argue with you about some high three stars next year :)

Reactions: vols 30
Well that was my main point. There’s no such thing really as a 3-4 or 4-3 base anymore because that’s not what you’re in the majority of time. So why don’t we call teams sub packages their base when they are in it the majority of time?

At the end of the day we just have to play the defense that best suits our current roster each year Bc unlike the nfl you’re not gonna have these fixtures for 4-8 years on defenses to really build around.

To sum up my view on all of it.... you can always match the offense when they go heavy when the time comes. It’s way more important to sure up your sub package and let that be your go to defense.

Good post

Reactions: HankHill
please tell me this isnt the name? we HAVE a DC right now, on campus.

No inside info, that's just a name that has been floating around and I thought I'd provide some perspective on him.

Texas 2019 defense: Gave up 28.9 ppg

Texas 2020 defense: Gave up 28.5 ppg

I don’t think I’d call 2019 “bottoming out” and then say Ash had a good 1st year

Texas played 6 OT periods in 2020 vs. 2019, so that would account for some of the point differential. YPP allowed went down nearly a full yard from 6.1 to 5.2, turnovers forced went up slightly, total yards allowed went down by 25 ypg even with the OT stats included. Like I said, they improved over what was there in a season where they were switching schemes with no spring practice to implement it. I'm not trying to make this guy out to be the second coming, he'd just be a solid hire. Personally, I'd rather have Kevin Steele or Arnett, but I don't know if those are options.

I originally said Thursday which still may happen.
hadn't been on in a couple of days...what names?
source.gif

Butch is a good recruiter at selling a vision. He is just one of the worst at bringing it to fruition.
His classes were mostly paper tigers though...lots of 4 stars with no other big offers. He also benefited big time from taking in like 34 kids in each class, bound to hit on some of them that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back