Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should have scouted him first thing with NSD rapidly approaching. JH screwed this one up. You don't pull a scholarship offer the day before NSD. It's just a really bad thing to do to a kid, and it makes us look bad in a time we really don't need to look bad.
He has more important tasks like filling out his staff and hiring the DC (you know what you have whined about almost hourly for several days), establishing the recruiting administration and a multitude of other tasks. How do you know they didn't notify the athlete prior to today and both the coach and Fat Byron took to social media to make UT look bad... I am sure you will fine additional negative things about CJH to comment on in the next several days/weeks/months.

Last edited:
Oh, bs. This isn’t JH’s fault. This kid wasn’t going to be a Vol anyway, otherwise Pruitt would have let him sign already.

All this is, is a publicity stunt to blame JH and UT, make us look bad, because their under the table stacks of cash are gone.
Believe what you want, but the optics would be a lot different if JH had just cut him last week rather than waiting until the day before NSD. That is a fact. We do not need, nor can we really afford, any more bad optics. My problem isn't with JH cutting him. My problem is JH waiting until the day before NSD to cut him. If you can't see how that creates more negativity for UT, you're choosing to be willfully blind to reality. Yes, Pruitt was most likely going to cut Roc himself. But we had one committed player left for JH to evaluate and make a decision on before NSD. He should have done that first thing. How much evaluation does it take to decide he's not a fit? If he made this decision a week ago, it's no big deal. Making it the day before the kid is supposed to sign is what is the big deal. JH needs to rebuild, and this is a problem he could have easily avoided. Easily. And he stepped right in it. It was a dumb mistake on his part. It's not insurmountable, but it was still a stupid mistake that should have been avoided.

Reactions: sona
He should have scouted him first thing with NSD rapidly approaching. JH screwed this one up. You don't pull a scholarship offer the day before NSD. It's just a really bad thing to do to a kid, and it makes us look bad in a time we really don't need to look bad.

Having a scholarship offer doesn’t mean anything. The previous staff wasn’t sure they would take him. JH made a decision that he thinks it’s right. It’s easy to feel sorry for the player but it’s better than JH continuing to slow play him or just take him anyway with no plans to use him and it ruins any chance that Roc has to get to the next level. Go somewhere that wants you and has plans for you. JH allowed roc the opportunity to do that.

What it sounds like is that Roc doesn’t have that many (if any) other “big time” options and is throwing a fit.

There have been 55 Super Bowls. Tom Brady has been in nearly 20% of them. Wtf. Every time I look I see another just insane stat regarding Brady. We will never see another player like this ever.
I have always hated Tom Brady, mainly because I hated the Patriots so much..but at this point I don't see how you can deny that he is the GOAT. The dude is just a winner..I just have to give him his props.

I wish Peyton's health would have held up, and that he could have played for a team like the Patriots...but he didn't.

I wonder if a guy like Mahomes can keep that intense hunger over two decades.

Believe what you want, but the optics would be a lot different if JH had just cut him last week rather than waiting until the day before NSD. That is a fact. We do not need, nor can we really afford, any more bad optics. My problem isn't with JH cutting him. My problem is JH waiting until the day before NSD to cut him. If you can't see how that creates more negativity for UT, you're choosing to be willfully blind to reality. Yes, Pruitt was most likely going to cut Roc himself. But we had one committed player left for JH to evaluate and make a decision on before NSD. He should have done that first thing. How much evaluation does it take to decide he's not a fit? If he made this decision a week ago, it's no big deal. Making it the day before the kid is supposed to sign is what is the big deal. JH needs to rebuild, and this is a problem he could have easily avoided. Easily. And he stepped right in it. It was a dumb mistake on his part. It's not insurmountable, but it was still a stupid mistake that should have been avoided.
You’re making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s really not a big deal. One handler blasts off on Twitter...so Fn what. Screw they guy and his slimy ways of doing business. Hope he gets a real job one day and stops leaching off kids and their families. The truth is that guy sold a bs story to Roc and his family and now he has to own up to it so he’s blaming a guy that’s been on the job less than a week. Give me a break.

Weak ass people need to grow up and accept responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming others.

Just so everyone understands: no one at UT is surprised by the handful of negative reactions to not taking Roc. But when you’re down 20-30 players, and only have 5 open spots, you don’t have the luxury of taking someone that you know isn’t going to fit in your scheme or help out. That’s just where we are right now.

Hubbs makes a new thread discussing why he deleted the Ash rumor thread...

As I noted in this thread this morning, it was a rumor I was chasing. In working it today, I can't find any thing concrete at this point.

I deleted it because I was getting messages from all over the place about my "report" that Heupel had made a hire, which is not even close to what I was saying. I had a radio station in Jacksonville call me wanting me to do an interview about it, and all kinds of crazy stuff.

I should have known not to throw out a name that I was chasing which was nothing more than a rumor at the time so that's on me.

I back at square one looking for leads and rumors to chase.

Kevin Steele is in the office this afternoon and has been there all day. We will see if Steele and Heupel have any kind of conversation today.

Having a scholarship offer doesn’t mean anything. The previous staff wasn’t sure they would take him. JH made a decision that he thinks it’s right. It’s easy to feel sorry for the player but it’s better than JH continuing to slow play him or just take him anyway with no plans to use him and it ruins any chance that Roc has to get to the next level. Go somewhere that wants you and has plans for you. JH allowed roc the opportunity to do that.

What it sounds like is that Roc doesn’t have that many (if any) other “big time” options and is throwing a fit.
His coach is throwing a fit.

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill. It’s really not a big deal. One handler blasts off on Twitter...so Fn what. Screw they guy and his slimy ways of doing business. Hope he gets a real job one day and stops leaching off kids and their families. The truth is that guy sold a bs story to Roc and his family and now he has to own up to it so he’s blaming a guy that’s been on the job less than a week. Give me a break.

Weak ass people need to grow up and accept responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming others.
Recruiting is all about relationships. We all know this. People keep saying this will be forgotten in a few days. It will be by UT fans. Recruits, high school coaches, and coaches recruiting against us won't forget. People can blast me and call me "negative" to their heart's content, but they're ignoring the reality of the situation. We just took an unnecessary black eye. And while we may soon forget it, it won't be forgotten by those that can and will use it against us.

I'm not calling this out to be "negative". We don't need to be making dumb mistakes. If we ever hope to be relevant again, JH is going to have to outthink and outwork other SEC coaches. And that should be our goal. He stumbled on this one. I get he's cleaning up a monster mess, but we have to do better to get better.

My team lost a State Championship game to you guys in 2007/2008 😔 - but y’all’s speed was just way to fast for the other secondary guys, we only had about 2 guys on defense who could keep up with your WRs then.... myself (DB) and a safety.

So you played at McKenzie then?

WHO ARE YOU?!?!

1612301020276.png

Recruiting is all about relationships. We all know this. People keep saying this will be forgotten in a few days. It will be by UT fans. Recruits, high school coaches, and coaches recruiting against us won't forget. People can blast me and call me "negative" to their heart's content, but they're ignoring the reality of the situation. We just took an unnecessary black eye. And while we may soon forget it, it won't be forgotten by those that can and will use it against us.

I'm not calling this out to be "negative". We don't need to be making dumb mistakes. If we ever hope to be relevant again, JH is going to have to outthink and outwork other SEC coaches. And that should be our goal. He stumbled on this one. I get he's cleaning up a monster mess, but we have to do better to get better.
You think he stumbled. I don’t. Agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back