Barnes offense is hot trash.....

I would say four games. The Vandy game was really bad as well. We wore them down and pulled away from their terrible team at the end. There was two very long extended periods of terrible basketball in that game that had all the signs of what was to come.

We were up 10 at half and won by 20, game was never in question...cmon man.

The problem I'm having is your consistent lies of omission about the state of our program CRB's first 2 seasons...given what you know about the roster CRB inherited and the national perception of our program, is it really your position that a reasonable and informed opinion would be to expect a tourney appearance in either of those seasons?

No and Turner not being eligible year one made it impossible but year 2 I think that it’s fair to say that could have been a tournament team.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
We were up 10 at half and won by 20, game was never in question...cmon man.
I know the end results were fine but the first 15 minutes of that game looked a whole lot like the Florida game. It was easy to dismiss as just a disinterested team playing a weak opponent. We witnessed the 40 minute version of it the next game.

Maybe a bit of a hot take, but last 3 games, which is what has really prompted a lot of the offensive struggle talks...

2pt: 43/101=42.5%
3pt: 15/59=25%
FT: 38/64=59%
TO’s: 14.7

Season Averages:
2pt: 50.3%
3pt: 34%
FT: 73%
TO’s: 10.1

So if we play to our averages in those games that’s 2 more made 2’s per game, 2 more made 3’s per game, 3 more made FT’s per game, 4.5 more FGA...that’s about 16 more expected PPG, which likely results in 1 more win and much more respectable point totals.

I say this to say, 3 game sample size isn’t huge, teams go cold for small stretches, there are plenty of examples of this...add in Fulky a bit injured as well as Vescovi and Springer banged up and I am more in a wait and see approach rather than calling for a total overhaul. 3 games ago we had a Top 25 offensive efficiency nationally and we seemed to be trending upwards in that area, I’m not ready to revamp things based on 3 games that involved injuries.

So did Barnes completely overhaul the offense or were shots falling?

No and Turner not being eligible year one made it impossible but year 2 I think that it’s fair to say that could have been a tournament team.

I agree could have is fair and nothing wrong with hoping but it is unreasonable to hold CRB responsible for tourney misses in years 1 & 2 given the circumstances IMO.

I agree could have is fair and nothing wrong with hoping but it is unreasonable to hold CRB responsible for tourney misses in years 1 & 2 given the circumstances IMO.
I highly doubt there were any other basketball programs in the country that fired two head coaches for cause in the 2010s. I thank God for Texas getting arrogant and firing Barnes because I believe had he not been available, our basketball program would be the same dumpster fire today as the football program.

We have been getting great looks all year, Barnes has consistently said we are a better shooting team than what we’ve shown.
Definitely one of our best offensive games in awhile. Very few questionable shots, although I thought Barnes was going to strangle Vescovi on one of his attempts. I still don’t think movement without the ball was consistently crisp yesterday. At times I was yelling at the TV for them to move and come to the ball. One thing I noticed over past several games, with Bailey, the ball sticks with him too much. Much like Fulky, he needs to be more decisive at times. Shoot, drive or give it up in the flow of the offense. James, less of an issue, but also shouldn’t linger with the ball in his hands. He rarely creates off the dribble so just needs to keep the ball moving.

We are a long ways away from being a final 4 team with this terrible offense. We are 14 games in and it's literally declining. We'll be lucky to finish as a top 6 team in SEC when it's all said and done. Very underwhelming and depressing. I had high hopes for this team before the season started but that is completely gone. Can't wait to hear the excuses....if there are any

How's the team you're coaching doing this year?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
They are missing open looks. JJJ was just gawd awful.

Did you check the boxscore? Wait? Did you just forget the blue font? JJJ when rested from running down 11 rebounds shot 6 times for 9 points. 1.5 points per shot will usually hold up as OK.... he did miss his one 2 pointer though.

Reactions: cardvolfan
He scored 11 points on 4 shots... not bad from where I come from. 50% from three and 5-5 at the line....
Victor Bailey Jr. played much better yesterday. Everybody did. Of course, that post you quoted was from last Tuesday (January 26th), after the game against Mississippi State, where Bailey was 0-5 from the field (0-3 from 3 point range). That positively sucks where I come from.

VN Store

Back