Duck Hunters Thread

Was just coming back on to update... Hopefully will provide some closure for the families of the victims and Mr Vowells family. I cant help but cuss that dang article in Field and Stream oughta have those assclowns looking for a job.
Agree that whole article was absolutely horrible.

BTW from what I was told they believe Mr Vowell tried to swim across the open water portion on the NE end of the lake and thus when they suspended the search Weds and picked back up Friday they believed he was deceased and it was a matter of finding the body. I suspect when the fact come out that there was someone who might have seen him after Mr crabtree left. There were no gunshot wounds and the body has been sent to Tenn ME office for autopsy.

Reactions: VOL-TIL-I-DIE
BTW from what I was told they believe Mr Vowell tried to swim across the open water portion on the NE end of the lake and thus when they suspended the search Weds and picked back up Friday they believed he was deceased and it was a matter of finding the body. I suspect when the fact come out that there was someone who might have seen him after Mr crabtree left. There were no gunshot wounds and the body has been sent to Tenn ME office for autopsy.

I had heard they were in one of the blinds straight across the lake from Gray's Camp. Do you know if they were on the north or south end of Upper Blue Basin? Not that it makes any difference, just curious.

I had heard they were in one of the blinds straight across the lake from Gray's Camp. Do you know if they were on the north or south end of Upper Blue Basin? Not that it makes any difference, just curious.
I don't know about that but I believe blind #58 was where it happened if that helps. I've never been there just what I've been told. My nephew closed out duck season with a mallard and two Canadians. Our Goose season goes another couple weeks and we are hoping he can tap a few more of the resident geese.

I don't know about that but I believe blind #58 was where it happened if that helps. I've never been there just what I've been told. My nephew closed out duck season with a mallard and two Canadians. Our Goose season goes another couple weeks and we are hoping he can tap a few more of the resident geese.

Got it. Kind of curious because I've hunted that end of the lake before. Good luck with goose season.

Got it. Kind of curious because I've hunted that end of the lake before. Good luck with goose season.
So Im curious as to your take on "perception" of the lake prior to this event. Since you've hunted there I've seen some people say its like going naked into a Pitt bull kennel with a pork chop necklace and others saying its fine. I have hunted with a couple of guys and they are bi polar on the issue too. One guy saw a fist fight at the ramp and never put his boat in the water and the other guy hunted it multiple times.

So Im curious as to your take on "perception" of the lake prior to this event. Since you've hunted there I've seen some people say its like going naked into a Pitt bull kennel with a pork chop necklace and others saying its fine. I have hunted with a couple of guys and they are bi polar on the issue too. One guy saw a fist fight at the ramp and never put his boat in the water and the other guy hunted it multiple times.

I've never had any real problems there, but the blind we usually hunt is fairly isolated. I've seen some altercations at the ramp and almost got involved in one we came back and some guy who probably had been drinking all morning accused us of parking in his spot (public ramp). I'd say its pretty similar to a lot of public areas I've been to where you will get some skybusting and swing shooting, buts its not really worse than anywhere else.
Edit: Some of the older guys I know say it used to be pretty rough. They claim to have seen some burning blinds and lots of fights at the ramp before.

Reactions: bag12day
I've never had any real problems there, but the blind we usually hunt is fairly isolated. I've seen some altercations at the ramp and almost got involved in one we came back and some guy who probably had been drinking all morning accused us of parking in his spot (public ramp). I'd say its pretty similar to a lot of public areas I've been to where you will get some skybusting and swing shooting, buts its not really worse than anywhere else.
Edit: Some of the older guys I know say it used to be pretty rough. They claim to have seen some burning blinds and lots of fights at the ramp before.
Gotcha thanks... was just wondering. I had relatives that Crappie fished there many years ago and always wondered about it. BTW Mr Vowell's body was found in the area of Grassy Island by a local guide if that means anything to you. They will get a prelim autopsy report in a few weeks but it will be about 6 months before the "official" report comes out. The more info comes out it appears that dementia / Alzheimers was the driver of this tragedy.

what's up guys. fellow west tn hunter. anyone got the inside track on a lease between Jackson and reelfoot? lol.

If anyone cars to comment, what are some of the pros and cons of the blind draw rules that TWRA votes on next week? I’ve heard west TN hunters are pissed but I don’t know what the changes would be.

If anyone cars to comment, what are some of the pros and cons of the blind draw rules that TWRA votes on next week? I’ve heard west TN hunters are pissed but I don’t know what the changes would be.

I'm not entirely sure because I haven't been involved in a draw in a long time. It looks like they are reducing the number of some of the blinds that will be available for the entire season to make them where multiple parties will get a few hunts in the blind. It also looks like they are doing some kind of party registration, which limits the number of people in drawing groups. You used to see five guys that would regularly hunt a blind show up to the draws with 150 people.

@VOL-TIL-I-DIE might know more.

I’m in a private club but friends do the draw blinds. The thing about the draw blind situation is multilayered. Big money and corporate dollars have almost all the good farms leased over here. And most hunters over here want a place to call home for 60 days. The way they get a chance at that is the blind draw. It’s a crap shoot at the draw, but there are ways to “sign on” to a blind. 3-7 days on a computer draw is not going to cut it.

Nobody likes change. Especially west TN duck hunters.

I'm not entirely sure because I haven't been involved in a draw in a long time. It looks like they are reducing the number of some of the blinds that will be available for the entire season to make them where multiple parties will get a few hunts in the blind. It also looks like they are doing some kind of party registration, which limits the number of people in drawing groups. You used to see five guys that would regularly hunt a blind show up to the draws with 150 people.

@VOL-TIL-I-DIE might know more.
Limits up to 8 in a party. I’m interested in doing it.

I’m in a private club but friends do the draw blinds. The thing about the draw blind situation is multilayered. Big money and corporate dollars have almost all the good farms leased over here. And most hunters over here want a place to call home for 60 days. The way they get a chance at that is the blind draw. It’s a crap shoot at the draw, but there are ways to “sign on” to a blind. 3-7 days on a computer draw is not going to cut it.

Nobody likes change. Especially west TN duck hunters.
what club you in Jxn vol? I'm from south jackson

Obion, MO Bootheel, MS River backwater

I hunt some with friends off the Middle Fork also.

Where do you hunt?

Obion, MO Bootheel, MS River backwater

I hunt some with friends off the Middle Fork also.

Where do you hunt?

Butting in on the conversation, but hunted MO bootheel near Rives a few times in the last couple of years. Better luck with geese than ducks. Did you have any luck?

I've had some good hunts off the Obion near Union City in the past, but its been a few years since I hunted there.

So many variables in the boot. Mostly weather related. Thaw, freeze, push days, food, sun, temperature, wind, precip, reverse migration, etc.

Fortunately I have guys that hunt almost every day that keep an eye on things. If they call and say get there now or be there tomorrow then you best do it and bring shells.

I have a pit in Rives, Mo. we do decent. If I'm not there I'm hunting on the forked deer somewhere. Missouri is the weirdest place. Most ducks I've ever seen in my life was middle of this season seen ten thousand in the first 2 hours of light killed zero. I've been there and seen 20 and killed 20 too

actual tried getting a lease on the obion a month or so ago but it was high and no guaranteed water or anything so we passed

VN Store

Back