Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we ever figure anything out about @CrieveHallVol? It seems his account is deleted, but it says he was last seen on VN on Jan 10. I know he had some medical stuff going on. @Freak would you be able to let us know if he just wanted his account deleted?

I’m going to let @Ulysees E. McGill take all the credit, but Crieve and I saw eye to eye on some things that were not in conjunction with UEMs views...we may have contributed to the outburst(s) that got the off-topic thread nuked.

Not trying to trigger you UEM

View attachment 346782
Soooo hyp-no-ticcc...🥴😳

In an earlier post I looked at the general conditions and aspirations of the program here at Tennessee and some of the similarities and challenges we share with the program at Nebraska. One of the suggestions I heard from the Nebraska side is that as a program they needed to find a new identity. They’ve mostly given up on going back to what they were when Osborne was there.

So I got to thinking about us. What sort of identity could we establish that might take us back up the mountain to the pinnacle of college football?

General Robert Reese Neyland was considered by many to be the Father of modern football. Granted, that consideration, and the modern part, is pretty well dated now.

“People think I’m the greatest damn coach in the world,” said Coach Bear Bryant, “but Neyland taught me everything I know.”

Bryant coached against Neyland in 7 games and never beat him.

What was so special about Coach Neyland. Why was he so successful? Beyond the man, what did he do for the game that earned him such accolades?

Throughout my life, and it’s been long, one word that I’ve often heard associated with Coach Neyland that may be the key to our future is that in his time Coach Neyland was considered one of the greatest innovators in the history of the game.

I know a lot of our fans who post here recognize the young coaches of today that are considered the new innovators. I think if we’re going to be at a talent disadvantage then maybe our path back to the top might be with a young innovator.

The media has to generate content to make money so we see all sorts of lists ranking this and that. Some of those lists turn out to be laughable in hindsight. Popularity is often a fleeting thing; only the best retain that popularity indefinitely.

In recent years Josh Heupel has been hailed as one of the top young coaches of today in the game of college football. During his junior year at OU his OC was Mike Leach. He learned the Pirate’s offense that year and while Mike went on to Texas Tech the next year, Josh’s senior year, Josh took what he had learned from the Pirate to the National Championship game for OU and brought home the trophy, while also being runner up for the Heisman.

As you might expect, getting fired from OU years later had some effect on him. I’m not sure from what I can gather if he was hurt or just flat out pissed off. While he was at Missouri Odom was asked if could sense if Heupel was still bitter that his alma mater fired him? “You bet”, replied Odom.

“He approaches every day with a chip on his shoulder,” Odom said. “He’s a competitive dude. He’s got something to prove and he acts like it every day.”

“He’s a rocket-science brain surgeon,” offensive line coach Glen Elarbee said. “Rocket surgery, whatever you want to call it — he’s freaking smart, man.”

Bob Stoops never doubted Heupel would have success elsewhere. It just wasn’t going to be at Oklahoma. Speaking of Heupel's mounting success, Stoops said, “Josh is an excellent coach, an innovator. It’s no surprise to me.”

Innovation is about being creative and moving forward toward the future not trying to go back to the past. The door is open; there’s at least a chance we may be on the right track now. jmo.
I think UT fans just got the best possible medicine shoved down their throats

Tee, if you cared about this job you wouldn’t be at the senior bowl. You would be in Knoxville trying to keep kids and fighting for a job. Stop letting media and kids fight for you and get your lazy ass back home to see if you can get the job. Sorry you didn’t get a new contract or get one signed, but that’s on you. Man up and stop hurting this program. Rant over. I want to tell my neighbor to tell Tee to shut the hell up and move on, but I am not sure if it would get my a** kicked or not.

Your neighbor is obviously peerless price👀😅

Tee, if you cared about this job you wouldn’t be at the senior bowl. You would be in Knoxville trying to keep kids and fighting for a job. Stop letting media and kids fight for you and get your lazy ass back home to see if you can get the job. Sorry you didn’t get a new contract or get one signed, but that’s on you. Man up and stop hurting this program. Rant over. I want to tell my neighbor to tell Tee to shut the hell up and move on, but I am not sure if it would get my a** kicked or not.
What does your neighbor think of the JH hire? Like it, hate it, or indifferent?

so, can we call this year zero, or what?
More like -1 at the rate this is going with this stupid ass Tee ****...I say **** em. If they want Tee so much, follow his lazy ass where ever he ends up..I'm sure you will get real quality coaching if he decides to show up and stays awake long enough...🤬

Why are we cursed with sorry crap like this?

Other than Steele, have we heard of JH interviewing any DC candidates? Just seems like he'd want to find his guy quickly.

I get the chemistry, but Im not convinced UCF had the best assistants. We have more resources so he should be able to get better assistants here. I don't want to see the same Butch mistakes.
🤦‍♂️ So you think better is having guys that don't have a clue how to implement your system?

Which by the way is the absolute polar opposite of the sorry garbage offense that this roster has been semi-taught for the last two years..

And yet Heupel’s offense continued to roll no matter who the QB was 🤔

Under a freshman QB no less.

That’s one thing I’m excited to see; the play calling and understanding of the playbook will be smooth and simple in order to run a fast tempo. Once the understanding of the tempo is done, the players should know and learn their roles and conduct themselves without much forethought. Which is something I never saw under Pruitt; every season started with players looking confused on both sides of the ball. It was embarrassing to watch.

I’ve watched several UCF games now and the offense runs like a well oiled machine. It’s like the players already know what to do... always. The offense seems to dictate and establish its dominance over the opposition’s defense more often than not, and they do so with a grin.

Poster on VQ says Heupel is being Merritt, the RB coach with him. I’m glad he’s got familiarity, but some of this could be risky. That dude has barely coached at all, only one has recruited at this level and that’s the WR coach if they can keep him. I know these are offense and we shouldn’t worry bc the offense is Heupel’s yada yada yada, but that is a question mark for how they will work and recruit in this league. They are already behind the 8 ball in this all important ‘22 class
I share your reservations. And I know this is the exception, but I think about the guy that was a position coach at UTC three years ago and just took a pretty big NFL (efilnikcufecin...sorry, I can’t say NFL without the influence of Anthrax...pumped into my prepubescent brain by my bad-influence older brothers) job.

I don't have any logical reason but I wouldn't be overly excited over Steele. I think I may just be enamored with the guy at St. I feel like we just need young fresh energy and ideas, all around.
Not arguing with you, but look at the context. During the season a good many people would have said that Steele was the best Defensive coach in the conference. He hasn't gotten dumb since then. Apparently Heupel has had several conversations with him. He's not part of the crap culture that was here with Pruitt so if he's the DC, it will be a positive.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back