Not open for further replies.
Here's what's crazy...

Josh Heupel just inherited these QBs

Brian Maurer: .8817 (3 star)
Hendon Hooker: .8903 (4 star)
Kaidon Salter: .9314 (4 star)
Harrison Bailey: .9555 (4 star)

His highest rated QB at UCF? Dillon Gabriel .8667
He's also playing against a boat load of 4 and 5 star defenders that he didn't play against with his lowly rated QBs.

This kid is a monster to still be available, if we pull him he'll be starting for us in short order.

Ridiculous athlete for his size, runs 4.7s, 81.5" wingspan...not sure he'll be a tackle here but his tape shows him having great feet and he looks comfortable blocking downfield on screens and pulling.

😂
I do love the Danny White.
It took me a day or so to understand that where we are as a program, we couldn’t land Campbell, Fickell, James Franklin etc.

Heupel is what he is.
and he’s the cleanest and the best of the next batch that was available.
I think your opinion of JH would be a lot different if his defense staff had been better.

Butch’s OL in 2015 was great, and then he made the terrible S&C decision. Development fell off a cliff. It was more about coaching. Midwestern teams always seem to take 2-3 star kids, feed them, develop them, and then they become road graders. But when you really start to look at NFL tackles, a lot were undersized but athletic and grew into the position. Many were TE’s in high school.
The blocking scheme was always garbage tho. More matador than masher. DeBord got the most physicality he could out of them, but he was bucking Butch in the process...hence the “retirement”.

Last edited:
😂
I do love the Danny White.
It took me a day or so to understand that where we are as a program, we couldn’t land Campbell, Fickell, James Franklin etc.

Heupel is what he is.
and he’s the cleanest and the best of the next batch that was available.
Ain’t that the truth (although count me in the anti Franklin category). I wanted there to be some alternate universe where Campbell said yes but knew in my soul that there was no reason (even $) to say yes to our mess. At this point in time I’ll take “best of the next batch” with a history of scoring points (will we ever stop anyone?)

I'm sure, but when I think of our own experience with undersized linemen, it brings back memories of Butch. Tatum wasn't a horrible player, but never quite made his mark. And then of course there was Niehaus. Undersized has not worked out FOR US in the past. That's what scares me.

Those were literally the only two undersized guys Butch took.

Gabriel had 70 carries in both seasons, and Milton had 79. So QB runs seem to be about 5-7 a game, at least at UCF.

If Bailey wins out though it might be closer to Lock's 2 seasons than what he did at UCF. Lock was about 50 carries a season
That's probably a fair assumption.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
The blocking scheme was always garbage tho. More matador than masher. DeBord got the most physicality he could outmm by of it but he was bucking Butch in the process...hence the “retirement”.

The pin and pull that Debord brought was a thing of beauty. Required quick linemen. I can’t say the scheme was great, but the linemen also got soft near the end with Butch.

Butch’s OL in 2015 was great, and then he made the terrible S&C decision. Development fell off a cliff. It was more about coaching. Midwestern teams always seem to take 2-3 star kids, feed them, develop them, and then they become road graders. But when you really start to look at NFL tackles, a lot were undersized but athletic and grew into the position. Many were TE’s in high school.

Yep Butch screwed up firing Lawson. Everything changed. Butch screwed over all 3 main guys that helped him get that job. jake/jancek/Lawson

Everything @AtlantaVol shared was true. We had a big hire on the line and it was Franklin for sure. But didn’t happen. Some deals don’t get done. No investigation then we spend the money for the right guy. Gives me hope we will spend for a good staff and have a guy who wants to be here. Time to support and hope this guy is it.

Everything @AtlantaVol shared was true. We had a big hire on the line and it was Franklin for sure. But didn’t happen. Some deals don’t get done. No investigation then we spend the money for the right guy. Gives me hope we will spend for a good staff and have a guy who wants to be here. Time to support and hope this guy is it.
What's your take on JH. You like him or not sure?

Ain’t that the truth (although count me in the anti Franklin category). I wanted there to be some alternate universe where Campbell said yes but knew in my soul that there was no reason (even $) to say yes to our mess. At this point in time I’ll take “best of the next batch” with a history of scoring points (will we ever stop anyone?)

I just need one Defensive lineman to step up and bring us some Derek Barnett energy...

Having a pass rush will do wonders for us. (I’ve been Hoping for them to switch Jeremy Banks to DE ever since his freshman year)

Seeing how high octane Heupel's offense is, and I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I'm not sure Bailey will be the best fit unless he can speed up his throwing motion and reads. I'm sure Heup will get it sorted out though. Not worried about it.
Bailey is perfect for the system. Slow processing seemed like it was more caused by our previous coaching staff than it was the QBs. Since it seemed like all of them had trouble with that.

over the moon

I look around the SEC at the teams that are successful, and that's not how it's done. I'm not trying to be overly negative. I'm trying to stay realistic. But this kind of offer worries me. Pruitt may have been an ass, but he wasn't wrong when he said we have to chase the same players that other top SEC programs chase. Sure, the NCAA troubles make that harder, but it's no less true. I just hope this offer isn't a sign of things to come. Always chasing project players doesn't work out. We can afford 1-2 a class, maybe, not even sure that's true given our current circumstances, but we cannot live off of projects.

Disagree with me opinion if you want, but I feel how I feel. I bleed Orange just like everyone else. I will always support the team, no matter what. But I have legitimate concerns about JH's abilities to make this work. I'm hoping and praying he does. I don't want to see us fall even further. But I just can't blindly buy in like some have. We've blindly bought into coach after coach. I just can't do that anymore. I want to be wrong, but I'm not sure I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back