Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colby Smith, the OT that was previously committed to us, is still out there. He's 6'7" 315 lbs.

To be fair I don't mind incoming OL being sub 300lbs. Sometimes it's easier to bulk guys up than try to get them in shape, remember Charles Mosley and how he never could get his weight under control enough to warrant playing time?

The only guy that may be a tad bit worried is Hooker.

He grad transferred, ideally he was looking for a shot to play and give himself a chance to get drafted. Heupel could absolutely help him with that...BUT he has some studs to beat out for the starting job. It'll be an interesting off-season, I legit think it's going to be everyone starting on the same level and whoever earns the job will be starting.

I honestly don't know who wins the job. HB has a year of D1 practice under his belt and is the highest rated outta HS...but will he be able to learn the offense and impress in camp?
Who’s got experience in THIS offense? Maurer and Bailey ran variations according to my untrained eye and should have a leg up.

For some reason people think that Heupel needs a mobile QB. He doesn’t. Locke wasn’t mobile. In watching this game, Gabriel hasn’t ran once. He can run, but hasn’t. Seems to be more important that the QB is accurate. Accuracy is primary. And Bailey is accurate.
Yeah it's not a system the qb runs a lot. But he does mix in a handful of called qb options most games mostly to keep the defense honest when they start crashing down to stop the runs up the middle. Option the back up the middle and the qb sprints out the backside. I don't remember lock doing it much, but Gabriel is quick enough where I think he average about 30 rush yards a game. Which is another example of playing to the strengths of the roster. Accuracy and quick processing and quick decisions are the key. But that's true of pretty much any system. I do think his systems make the reads pretty simple because they put so many defenders on islands. So it's easy to spot keys.

Who’s got experience in THIS offense? Maurer and Bailey ran variations according to my untrained eye and should have a leg up.

Hooker wasn't a pure running QB though, he went for over 6k passing in HS with 55 TDs in 3 years starting, going for over 2k his last two seasons. He also amassed nearly 3k yards rushing.

Oddly enough we recruited him as our Dobbs replacement, but he chose Virginia Tech instead.

Reactions: FBtime
Wait, is @I4Jay back and bought in for this? I thought I read someone say you loved the White hire...right up until he hired JH. If you’re in all the way then I have to bring back my favorite Jay gif

😂
I do love the Danny White.
It took me a day or so to understand that where we are as a program, we couldn’t land Campbell, Fickell, James Franklin etc.

Heupel is what he is.
and he’s the cleanest and the best of the next batch that was available.

For some reason people think that Heupel needs a mobile QB. He doesn’t. Locke wasn’t mobile. In watching this game, Gabriel hasn’t ran once. He can run, but hasn’t. Seems to be more important that the QB is accurate. Accuracy is primary. And Bailey is accurate.

And making the right reads quickly.

I'm sure, but when I think of our own experience with undersized linemen, it brings back memories of Butch. Tatum wasn't a horrible player, but never quite made his mark. And then of course there was Niehaus. Undersized has not worked out FOR US in the past. That's what scares me.

Butch’s OL in 2015 was great, and then he made the terrible S&C decision. Development fell off a cliff. It was more about coaching. Midwestern teams always seem to take 2-3 star kids, feed them, develop them, and then they become road graders. But when you really start to look at NFL tackles, a lot were undersized but athletic and grew into the position. Many were TE’s in high school.

Gabriel had 70 carries in both seasons, and Milton had 79. So QB runs seem to be about 5-7 a game, at least at UCF.

If Bailey wins out though it might be closer to Lock's 2 seasons than what he did at UCF. Lock was about 50 carries a season

Here's what's crazy...

Josh Heupel just inherited these QBs

Brian Maurer: .8817 (3 star)
Hendon Hooker: .8903 (4 star)
Kaidon Salter: .9314 (4 star)
Harrison Bailey: .9555 (4 star)

His highest rated QB at UCF? Dillon Gabriel .8667

Seeing how high octane Heupel's offense is, and I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I'm not sure Bailey will be the best fit unless he can speed up his throwing motion and reads. I'm sure Heup will get it sorted out though. Not worried about it.

Here's what's crazy...

Josh Heupel just inherited these QBs

Brian Maurer: .8817 (3 star)
Hendon Hooker: .8903 (4 star)
Kaidon Salter: .9314 (4 star)
Harrison Bailey: .9555 (4 star)

His highest rated QB at UCF? Dillon Gabriel .8667
Didn’t he get Milton for a year?

Gabriel had 70 carries in both seasons, and Milton had 79. So QB runs seem to be about 5-7 a game, at least at UCF.

If Bailey wins out though it might be closer to Lock's 2 seasons than what he did at UCF. Lock was about 50 carries a season
I don't recall very many Locke runs being by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back