Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the 6 yr deal then if it's a bridge hire? They thinking this could be a 6yr penalty from the AA?
A bridge hire would have been retaining Steele. You end up with a guy like this, when you set your # 1 as James Franklin. Franklin should have been the # 3 choice. (At best)

So, u say we can’t get anyone better? You can with a little forgiveness. Lane, Freeze. Those should have been the starting point. I would hate to be the poster that put up 4 million for a hire that deserves far less.

Some dude on VQ posted something, pretty specific, about what was going on with our head coach, some assistant coaches and players regarding the investigation. I don't know why but I saved it to a word document before it was deleted. I hope the guy was just blowing smoke because it was pretty bad stuff.

@Batman1948 you would be doing me a solid if you posted it again just to let me save it as well and read it if you didn’t mind doing so for a brief second...I was reading it lastnight and got like half way through and got super distracted,by the time i came back it was gone.it was some super deep stuff.🤘🏽🧡

Reactions: ugg and jpope9
This may be the nicest piece Pete Thamel has ever written about Tennessee - while still taking shots at the fan base

I think that Wolken (and perhaps Forde's) beef with UT is personal. Wolken is a Vandy grad and spent a lot of time in Memphis working for the Commercial Appeal. I think he has a personal dislike for UT that dovetails nicely into the dysfunction we've had for years.

I think Thamel bashes UT simply because we stink and are an easy target.

I think that Wolken (and perhaps Forde's) beef with UT is personal. Wolken is a Vandy grad and spent a lot of time in Memphis working for the Commercial Appeal. I think he has a personal dislike for UT that dovetails nicely into the dysfunction we've had for years.

I think Thamel bashes UT simply because we stink and are an easy target.
Funny, because my beef with Wolken is personal. He should be writing articles about the 17 and under Girls Croatian Tennis Open than writing about sport he tried to keep from being played this past season.

A bridge hire would have been retaining Steele. You end up with a guy like this, when you set your # 1 as James Franklin. Franklin should have been the # 3 choice. (At best)

So, u say we can’t get anyone better? You can with a little forgiveness. Lane, Freeze. Those should have been the starting point. I would hate to be the poster that put up 4 million for a hire that deserves far less.

FREEZE IS NOT BEING HIRED BY ANY PROGRAM. Literally no one else wants that guy to represent their program. He didn’t get any looks for any opening this year.

Nobody says Franklin was #1. He just didn’t turn us down as quickly as Campbell and Fickell.

Yeah, the thing I can’t get past is recruiting. Look at the list of head coaches who have won NCs this century. It’s a pretty short list. Nick Saban, Dabo, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Pete Carrol, Les Miles, Ed O Jimbo Fisher off the top of my head. The one thing they all have in common is a reputation for being great recruiters. Chizik may be the one outlier, but he also had a qb that was unstoppable at the college level and then quickly crashed and burned once that qb was gone. The fact that Heupel has a reputation as a mediocre recruiter has me feeling like we’re going to continue to be stuck in neutral.
Mediocre? I mean he’s recruited on par for UCF so I’d say he’s average. Average here is top 15. Top 15 here with some player development would put us in a really good place. I mean Butch and Dooley recruited here. Let’s not make this too complicated.

This may be the nicest piece Pete Thamel has ever written about Tennessee - while still taking shots at the fan base

i'm not a fan of thamel, and there's a large portion of this that leaves much to be desired, as far as his axe to grind with fans.

but. he's not wrong on the admin mistakes that have been made over the years, and where we are and what the outlook is, both immediate future and beyond in terms of identify of the program etc....

If your Jeff Lebby, would you take take an OC job at Tennessee or head coach at UCF?

Depends on if Lebby thinks he’s ready to be a HC. If he’s listening to offers, I’d assume he thinks he is. So, I would lean HC at UCF. Safer spot to start a HC career. Plus, isn’t the biggest factor against him being UT OC the fact that he wouldn’t be calling plays? Not sure what his situation is with Kiffin.

He’s bringing the entire offensive side per UCF...

And why wouldn’t he? They have done very well.

"Echoing what Jason Beede (247) reported, hearing Heupel is taking the entire offensive staff with him, including:

QB coach Joey Halzle
OL coach Glen Elarbee
TE coach Alex Golesh
WR coach Kodi Burns
RB coach Matt Merritt
GA Tyler Hudanick

Also, Director of Player Personnel Brandon Lawson, who is a Tennessee alum and former staffer at UT.

A plane picked up some of them (not sure if all) this morning"

We can also now hate James even more for attempting to Gundy us (even if it may not be true).

In short I do like that the biggest worry with our new HC is "can he recruit" which honestly will always be the worry for any incoming coach from a G5 or coordinator role.
No need to worry, it is repeatedly said on here that UT recruits itself! Whatever that means

He’s bringing the entire offensive side per UCF...

And why wouldn’t he? They have done very well.
Start with the entire staff, and then slowly replace them as he gets his bearings in the SEC. Butch did the same thing and it honestly worked out pretty well until the wheels fell off later on.

It does make me nervous to see if these guys can recruit at an SEC level, but time will tell.

Who is the S&C coach at UCF? Looking at their film they look way bigger, stronger faster than our guys do.

That’s just Florida boys , specifically south Florida goons. It’s a different type of football played down here...there’s a reason why saban comes down here once a year and picks up his (Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley,) and FSU and UF get the dalvin cooks and Brandon Powell’s of the world.

Reactions: So.ProVOL
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back