Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right that it was orchestrated. They kept people in the dark that generally have input.

While there was basic agreement on the profile, there were some angles. Boyd wanted the biggest fish, Plowman pushed for a diversity hire and DW had the most to gain by a comfort hire. Compton generally sides with Boyd. To promote this as a national search-- which technically it was-- they paid Parker to spread the net, run point and collect the no's. There was always going to be a shortlist and a short search, with the floor predetermined and a high probability of getting there fast.
right. there was a plan, a back up...and a back up to the back up plan....all already in place. all they had to do was follow the steps to see which one they'd wind up needing.

turns out, we got all the way to the end.... :)

Reactions: Orange Studs
I mean, KG was objectively a better rim protector than DR. He also had more NBA All-Defensive teams. Rodman was a special player, but he excelled at being physical. Trying to out physical a 6'9 270 human freight train for 48 minutes isn't going to work.

Yeah, also KG had more steals. Rodman was a beast defender, but I agree that objectively he wasn't on the same level as a prime KG.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
I think you’re spot on. Couldn’t of said it better.
Really anxious to see what the D staff is going to look like.
I might be in the minority but I don’t think that bringing Randy Shannon or anyone else from UCF like Willie Martinez is a smart move. I also think that retaining Steele is a mistake as well. Steele is used to running a 4-3 hybrid defense with big nastys up front and we are so far away from having an Auburn D line of lately, I don’t think that his schemes would work with our personnel. Steele has also been running the same schemes for a while and is prob stuck in his ways considering he is in his 60’s. I truly think we need to find a young mind and someone willing to think outside the normal SEC defensive models. I think that if Heupel is so innovative on one side and we find someone of the same mold on defense this thing could work. We always here on offense that the key is to get our athletes in space with room to make a big play. We never say that about our defensive athletes for the most part. I wish we can find that innovative play caller on defense that can take our lack of size but utilize our strengths whether that be smaller guys on the field playing downhill and flying to the football. I watched undersized teams like Coastal etc flying around the field and slipping blocks of bigger O lineman because they trusted their instincts and coaches to fly in and make a play.

If they played by rules in the 90’s he would irritate the sh$t out of Lebron.
I'm sure it would. If they played today DR would be sitting with 3 fouls by mid first quarter.

If Bron played in that era he would have recruited DR to his team so he wouldn't have to worry about being guarded by him anyways. Just like Mike did.

Does TN have as much talent on offense as Ole Miss? I think we have more tbh
About the same on the skill positions, I'd say.

I'm not smart enough to be able to identify this, but I was listening to a podcast this morning and they say even though Lebby is there, Ole Miss is running Kiffin's offense from FAU. So using Ole Miss as a comparison because Lebby and Heupel run similar concepts is not totally correct.

They only had one game with less than 350 yards of total offense. Most games they were over 400 yards. Mizzou is a wasteland for talent.
And I think that one game under 350 was Bama that year wasn't it? That year was Pruitt doing his best DC work imo...almost nobody was moving the ball or scoring much on them that year.

Just saw an interesting conspiracy theory about DW and JH that I thought I'd share.

Here's how I stumbled upon the theory and it's also a good tldr: (tldr stolen from UGA board)

"Basically, UT was talking to White 2 weeks before firing Pruitt and retiring Fulmer for him. But, also that White and Heupel had already been planning on both going to UT basically before White was formally announced, saying Heupel had been interviewing for his staff (in Knoxville)"

Poster on UCF's board said that UT was interested in Huepel the day that fired Pruitt.

Heupel on Tennessee Radar (posted Jan 18 - 2:25pm)
"Heard a rumor that Heupel could be in the mix at UTK. Would explain why he talked to Tee Martin after Wyatt left and their TE coach.
Clearly would only benefit UCF. Supposedly some boosters don’t want Chadwell/Freeze because of their history with violations. if heupel does interview/gets Tennessee job then there’s a certain former auburn coach that considers our latest WR coach an “adopted son.”

Then the same poster follows up with this post yesterday.

How I knew - UCF board

"So everyone has been asking me how I knew that Heupel and White were going to Tennessee. Well I do have 2 sources: one in Knoxville and one in Orlando. Theres a podcast I like about Tennessee football because they’re absolutely crazy. I have emailed ome of the people on the show and we have a correspondenc. About two weeks ago, one of the hosts said that Tee Martin was having a “flirtation” with UCF. This came as a shock given that Wyatt hadn’t left yet. But I thought nothing about it at the time.
Then came the Wyatt news. I was fine with Wyatt leaving given that he sucked and he was no big loss. But then it came out that Kodi Burns was the front runner to replace him. That didn’t add up to what the guy said about Tee Martin talking to Heupel. So I emailed the host in Tennessee and he confirmed that Tee Martin and another “staffer” were talking to Heupel presumably about getting a life raft out of Knoxville. So when it came out that Heupel was interviewing Osovet I knew that something was up. Then I contacted my UCF source.
My source, who shall remain nameless, does not hold an “important” role at UCF, but this person hears a lot of gossip. So I trust this person implicitly. this person flat out told me that Danny White had been contacted 2 weeks ago by Tennessee. That they knew Fulmer was gone and they wanted White. Danny interviewed then and not last week as was stated in his press conferenc. That was a lie for him to save face. My source then said that White and Heupel met privatel. That Heupel had already been putting together a staff. That Tee Martin and Osovet were being interviewed not for UCF, but to see if they would be on Heupel’s staff. That Heupel had been talking to Kevin Steele with the understanding that Steele would be his DC. So with that information I posted the topic.
Luckily I have heard that UCF has gotten wind of Heupel’s and White’s plans and have a contingency plan in place. I know if Scott Carr is promoted he will go after Gus first with the understanding that Carr and Malzahn have a relationship. Option 2 is Brian Johnson.
so to sum up: I heard a podcast, spoke to the host of said podcast, saw the interviews Heupel was conducting, and then contacted my UCF source who confirmed Heupel was bolting."

I think that this guy at UCF may have gotten lucky with his post and there are some holes in it, but if JH keeps Steele then it starts to look a lot more plausible.

Anyway none of this really matters, we have a new coach that I hope brings us back.

So back to lurking.
Quit reading at "rumor"

Can you fill me in on what you're talking about?
Some dude on VQ posted something, pretty specific, about what was going on with our head coach, some assistant coaches and players regarding the investigation. I don't know why but I saved it to a word document before it was deleted. I hope the guy was just blowing smoke because it was pretty bad stuff.

Yes, I agree he’s looked good at UCF. He should have since he inherited a good bit of talent from Frost. I just thout it useful to look at what he did in the league he’s about to cosch in compared to Mickey Mouse land. I hope he scores tonnes of points at UT, but he’ll have to prove he can do it against the top teams.
The offense will be better than we have seen in a while...that is all that matters as far as offense goes. Teams with great defensive talent will do what they usually do and gum up the works.

Reactions: Sleegro
I'm sure it would. If they played today DR would be sitting with 3 fouls by mid first quarter.

If Bron played in that era he would have recruited DR to his team so he wouldn't have to worry about being guarded by him anyways. Just like Mike did.
The bulls traded for Rodman...... much different than the running around ganging up like goes on today.... it ruins a big part of the fun for me.

Reactions: PA Vol
Yeah I expect we'll see Beckwith get used a bit more. I guess like Newt said he'll become a HB, dude will lineup as a WR/TE/RB and feast on any slow LB or undersized DB that gets stuck in a one on one.

I also think our RB room losing Ty/Gray and getting a "clean slate" will allow for some exciting competition. Small runs hard and is a true north/south guy, and Wright who is incoming is an elite speed guy. Not to mention Cody Brown being an all around big back option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back