Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a coach who doesn’t have to get like that because he commands enough respect that it isn’t necessary. One that can explain to the kids what they didn’t do right and tell them to fix it and the kid listen.
Conversely a lot of kids need a boot in their ass to succeed...you need somebody that understands that. That is why you don't have too many laid back dudes as drill instructers..

But I agree that Mushdump gets a little overboard sometimes.

I really wonder if the reduction in the number of practices over time has led to a paradigm shift. Rather than focusing on execution and chewing up clock, it's better take more shots (and risk more three and outs) because no one is getting the practice time to get 11 guys on the same page for 10-15 plays a drive multiple times in a game. It's better to run simple, fast offenses to get down the field in fewer plays (i.e. fewer opportunities to make execution mistakes).

On the flip, defenses are adjusting by going more "bend, don't break" to force offenses to execute 10-15 plays in a row. This is how everyone played Mississippi State after Arkansas dropped 8 every play. In other words, DCs are like "we'll let you have yards, because we know you're eventually going to f@#$ up and get behind schedule."

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win. - Neyland
Arkansas got away that because Leach doesn't have a very good QB to run his system yet IMO...I have seen teams do that against him before and get obliterated.

Conversely a lot of kids need a boot in their ass to succeed...you need somebody that understands that. That is why you don't have too many laid back dudes as drill instructers..

But I agree that Mushdump gets a little overboard sometimes.

I’ve been on both sides of it (through sports and the military) and you know which side is better? The side that can explain something to you without jumping down your throat.

The place for the jumping down your throat is “practice”. Outside of practice you need them to remain positive and calm and that takes a different type of leadership. Someone who commands respect without having to jump down your throat is rare but if you have one they are the biggest asset because kids will listen to that more.

My take: JH takes the Barnes approach. He establishes a culture with lower ranked guys with chips on their shoulders. Higher ranked kids will follow when they see the results.

Pruitt tried to buy his way to the top. Kids who choose schools based off $ aren't the kids we want in our program.

Spot on IMO. Makes a lot of sense. Go get guys who want to give their all for Tennessee and scheme your way to as many W's as possible until you get the momentum and can sign the elites. Tennessee will always get more 4* than many SEC schools because the program is bigger and more well known.

Well if it's true that Golesh, Elarbee, and Halzle is coming then that's a good start, add Kodi Burns and our Offense staff is a solid B+
I'll be interested to see how they approach the OC role - the UCF roster has Golesh as "Co-OC" there but I don't see another Co-OC. I wonder if we're going to hire an OC or give the title to Golesh and Elarbee, then hire a RB coach to fill out the staff.

Just FYI, Scott Frost's two classes at UCF were ranked #65 and #55 nationally. Heupel wasn't that far off. Definitely think that Frost has the "Johnny Football Hero" appearance and bearing that Heupel does not. JH seems like an introvert who just likes to draw up plays and gameplans. Danny White is going to have to fill that role for the program and a bunch of the assistants are going to have to pick up the slack in recruiting.
I agree. If JH was prettier a lot more people would be onboard with this hire. Right or wrong.

I'll be interested to see how they approach the OC role - the UCF roster has Golesh as "Co-OC" there but I don't see another Co-OC. I wonder if we're going to hire an OC or give the title to Golesh and Elarbee, then hire a RB coach to fill out the staff.

I'm thinking he gives it to Golesh, but again if Heupel calls plays, there's no need to go spend 123123123213 on someone. That's just my opinion. We will see

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back