Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bend but don’t break D is what we need. Not allowing big plays and efficient at stopping teams in the red zone.
I sort of disagree with this.

The high tempo low TOP offense is really paired better with an aggressive defense looking for quick stops and turnovers. That way you either turn the games into a shootout or you jump out to big leads early.

Reactions: coven
We literally just hired someone who has better offensive numbers then both. Without the baggage. And isn't a flight risk. Again he also beat Kiffin twice.
That was part of the problem with this search short of hiring Saban this fan base wasn't going to accept anybody not named Freeze or Kiffin and people need to get over that. They weren't options. This guys resume is just as good.
I hope he does well! And very he well could be a great hire. I just have no optimism about it and think we’ll likely see similar results to what we have had recently. I think there were much better options available had we taken them. I’m just not sold on Heupel.

I was at UT for the end of Buzz and beginning of Bruce. Can confirm the night and day difference, and the energy Bruce brought to campus. That’s why people were signing petitions for him. It wasn’t just winning - everyone knew the guy loved UT and wanted to be here.
Tennessee loves used car salesmen

Really wouldn’t mind a little of this on our sidelines to complement our more sedate head coach.
View attachment 346351
We need a coach who doesn’t have to get like that because he commands enough respect that it isn’t necessary. One that can explain to the kids what they didn’t do right and tell them to fix it and the kid listen.

Reactions: preacherwebb
I sort of disagree with this.

The high tempo low TOP offense is really paired better with an aggressive defense looking for quick stops and turnovers. That way you either turn the games into a shootout or you jump out to big leads early.

I really wonder if the reduction in the number of practices over time has led to a paradigm shift. Rather than focusing on execution and chewing up clock, it's better take more shots (and risk more three and outs) because no one is getting the practice time to get 11 guys on the same page for 10-15 plays a drive multiple times in a game. It's better to run simple, fast offenses to get down the field in fewer plays (i.e. fewer opportunities to make execution mistakes).

On the flip, defenses are adjusting by going more "bend, don't break" to force offenses to execute 10-15 plays in a row. This is how everyone played Mississippi State after Arkansas dropped 8 every play. In other words, DCs are like "we'll let you have yards, because we know you're eventually going to f@#$ up and get behind schedule."

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win. - Neyland

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back