Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking this is my take. I posted some tables earlier this morning showing the UCF W/L record against the defensive rankings of their opponents. UCF scored below their average points against better defenses. No real surprise, right? Those were also the games they most often lost. So while I think our offense will likely be better, more consistent, and put up more points overall, we’re going to be facing better defenses more often than UCF faced. jmo.

The other thing is that UCF’s opponents were generally not superior in talent as measured by the 247 composite. That will be the other major headwind we could face in a few games. We’re going to be outmatched in some, mostly evenly matched in others, and will likely have the superior talent in a few. I think we win when we have the clear talent advantage, maybe mixed bag when it’s more even, and struggle when we’re outclassed. jmo.
agree with all this. the top line teams on our schedule, probably no real change in results.

the middle of the schedule...that 5-6 games we all think we should win....that's where it could get interesting and really will depend on match ups....and the bottom, we should do well....

i think one thing will be interesting is what nuances does JH change/adjust going forward? taking in to account what you posted above, which i agree with, doesn't scream "just keep doing what you do"....the core philosophy, fine, keep it, do that....but matching up against the level of competition is going to require some adjustments along the way, so that'll be interesting to watch.

anyway...i don't expect a ton immediately, so i'm not gonna fret. but those things you brought up are the things i think most of us kinda turn to and wonder how this translates, in totality?

Reactions: ChattaTNVol
Just FYI, Scott Frost's two classes at UCF were ranked #65 and #55 nationally. Heupel wasn't that far off. Definitely think that Frost has the "Johnny Football Hero" appearance and bearing that Heupel does not. JH seems like an introvert who just likes to draw up plays and gameplans. Danny White is going to have to fill that role for the program and a bunch of the assistants are going to have to pick up the slack in recruiting.

Yep, the offense will not work if we can't win skill position match-ups on offense. We are going to have to recruit with Florida and Georgia to beat them.

The offense we're going to run is not new to the SEC. SEC defenses know how to defend it. They won't be able to if we're recruiting as well as we're running tempo.

I like that it's something new for people to prepare for. Kinda reminds me of what I liked about Chadwell. He melds different systems together to create his own version. Air raid/Option/Spread. Not just one of these things but all of them.

He talks about his gameplan revealing itself over the course of the game. Instead of having a rigid plan going in. I think it's gonna be fun to watch. I'm sure we're gonna hit road blocks against UGA/Bama as everybody does. But I think you give yourself a punchers chance.

Seems like he tries to find the weakness in the defense and when he finds it he turns on the tempo and attacks until he gets to the end zone or you figure out what's happening.

Wow. I'm not throwing shade. But that feels a touch final. Let's see how this season goes before we embrace our place as the new Kentucky in the SEC.
We're not dead as long as we've got fight!

tenor.gif

I get it, I do. I want to stay positive.

But Since Fulmer was fired as HC, this is what...5 HCs and 4 ADs? Now we have the former HC at UCF trying to right the ship, and the NCAA is lingering around with sanctions?

Optimism is hard to find my friend. We still have fight, sure, but it certainly feels like we are a lot closer to death than to resurgence.

Wish I could have bought $40,000 worth back when it was $4....I could probably retire right now. I wish I could get on the ground floor next time they pull this crazy mess.
After today, I don't think they'll try again. There is no better proof that the system is rigged against the 99% than what happened today. It's a shame.

He may have a great offensive system but if he doesn’t have the Jimmy’s and Joe’s that Alabama does, that will hurt. You have to recruit, recruit, recruit at UT.
He made a comment on the radio yesterday that he understands the difference between SEC and where he comes from.

You can’t take 3 stars and develop them and win big in this league over the entire roster. You need a higher caliber athlete.

Reactions: headhunter15
I might be in the minority but I don’t think that bringing Randy Shannon or anyone else from UCF like Willie Martinez is a smart move. I also think that retaining Steele is a mistake as well. Steele is used to running a 4-3 hybrid defense with big nastys up front and we are so far away from having an Auburn D line of lately, I don’t think that his schemes would work with our personnel. Steele has also been running the same schemes for a while and is prob stuck in his ways considering he is in his 60’s. I truly think we need to find a young mind and someone willing to think outside the normal SEC defensive models. I think that if Heupel is so innovative on one side and we find someone of the same mold on defense this thing could work. We always here on offense that the key is to get our athletes in space with room to make a big play. We never say that about our defensive athletes for the most part. I wish we can find that innovative play caller on defense that can take our lack of size but utilize our strengths whether that be smaller guys on the field playing downhill and flying to the football. I watched undersized teams like Coastal etc flying around the field and slipping blocks of bigger O lineman because they trusted their instincts and coaches to fly in and make a play.
I don't think anybody wants any of JHs UCF defensive staff here.

Ok so stab at roster left over. If I am correct doesn't everyone stay in what class they were the year before. So Bailey is just a freshman all over again?

I have put a few notes on questions I have, everyone give me tips and I'll keep editing it and then can start a new thread for discussion/tracking once we have it closer to correct.

Offense

QB
1 - Harrison Bailey - FR
2 - Hendon Hooker - RSJR
3 - Kaidon Salter - FR
4 - Brian Maurer - So

RB
1 - Tiyon Evans - SO
2 - Jabari Small - FR
3 - Dee Beckwith - FR
4 - Len Whitehead - FR
5 - Tee Hodge - FR
6 - Cody Brown - FR

WR
1 - Velus Jones Jr - SR
2 - Jalin Hyatt - FR
3 - Cedric Tillman - SO
4 - Malichi Wideman - FR
5 - Ramel Keyton - SO
6 - Jimmy Holiday / Calloway - FR
7 - Jimmy Holiday / Calloway - FR
8 - Walker Merrill - FR

TE/Flex
1 - Austin Pope - SR
2 - Princeton Fant - JR
3 - Jacob Warren - So
4 - Miles Campbell - FR
5 - Dee Beckwith - FR

OT
1 - Darnell Wright - SO
2 - Cade Mays - JR
3 - K'Rojhn Calbert - JR
4 - Jackson Lampley - FR

OG
1 - Jerome Carvin - JR
2 - Riley Locklear - SR
3 - Javontez Spraggins - FR
4 - Chris Akporoghene - FR

C
1 - Cooper Mays

DEFENSE

DL (hard to know how it all fits not knowing DC)
1 - Matt Butler - SR
2 - Darel Middleton - SR
3 - Greg Emerson - SO
4 - Tyler Baron - FR (if traditional 4-3 he fits here)
5 - Latrell Bumphus - SR
6 - JaQuain Blakely - SR
7 - Elijah Simmons - FR
8 - Omari Thomas - FR
9 - Kurrott Garland - SO
10 - Katron Evans - FR
(Solomon is heading to NFL right?)

LB
1 - Jeremy Banks - JR
2 - Solon Page - JR
3 - Tyler Baron - (If 3-4 he fits here)
4 - Roman Harrison - FR
5 - Morven Joseph - FR
6 - Martavius French - FR
7 - Bryson Eason - FR
8 - Aaron Willis - FR
9 - Byron Young - SO

CB
1 - Alontae Taylor - JR
2 - Kenneth George Jr - SR
3 - Warren Burrell - SO
4 - Doneiko Slaughter - FR
5 - Shawn Shamburger (He is back right?) - SR
6 - DeShawn Rucker - FR
7 - Tys Fields - FR
8 - Tamarion McDonald - FR
S
1 - Jaylen McCollough - So
2 - Theo Jackson - SR (did he come back)
3 - Trevon Flowers - JR
4 - Kareem Marley - FR

Really good post. We are short in some key areas.

Need a back up Center.

CB - ouch.

Safety - ouch.

LB - ouch

I think offense will be far ahead of defense. which is crazy to me with Pruitt being a defensive guy. Man he screwed this up in a number of simple ways.

I don't know man, ask LSU, ask UT from last year (Chaney) ask Kansas, Kansas City (AR), etc.

Don't be like that.

You act like he weighs 400+
I always find it kinda sus when someone brings up what a HC looks like being a reason why he is/isn’t good lol like why do you care so much?

I always find it kinda sus when someone brings up what a HC looks like being a reason why he is/isn’t good lol like why do you care so much?

I will be the first to say, at first I didn't like him because he was ugly, but after watching his presser.....again, I got chills.

This x100! I think we have put wayyyyy too much stock into recruiting ability when we have looked to hire coaches in the past. Right now I couldn't care if we finished 20th in recruiting as long as our coaches are developing players and they are being successful on the field. It's so frustrating to me to see a team loaded with Top 15 class recruiting class talents that can barely get lined up on the field. For right now give me a coaching staff that can develop then recruiting will come.
I agree with this. We have hired recruiters and hoped they could coach or that coaching wouldn't matter since the athletes would be soooo good.

What we need is coaches who can develop the talent they have - doesn't really matter then. You can always be solid and then when you get going recruiting becomes a littler better.

I do believe there is a baseline that UT recruits itself very well - maybe high 3 star and low 4 star - without even trying really. Develop those guys and then land a couple of blue chips in key areas and you will win here big time.

I see what you’re saying, but on paper we have more talent than anybody not named Georgia, Bama and maybe Florida. I think Florida struggles this year with Jones at QB.

Well, the other thing is our edge in talents & development is probably not that big with some of the other teams. Ole Miss, Mizzou, and Kentucky have returning staffs. South Carolina had good talent last year but the '21 class is last in the conference right now plus they don't have a staff continuity advantage like the others. A lot of this still depends on what our roster looks like when the dust settles. I think we should expect the usual first year growing pains thus giving the new regime some space to exceed our expectations. jmo.

I like that it's something new for people to prepare for. Kinda reminds me of what I liked about Chadwell. He melds different systems together to create his own version. Air raid/Option/Spread. Not just one of these things but all of them.

He talks about his gameplan revealing itself over the course of the game. Instead of having a rigid plan going in. I think it's gonna be fun to watch. I'm sure we're gonna hit road blocks against UGA/Bama as everybody does. But I think you give yourself a punchers chance.

Seems like he tries to find the weakness in the defense and when he finds it he turns on the tempo and attacks until he gets to the end zone or you figure out what's happening.
yeah, agreed.

but it will depend on match ups in this league. i haven't watched enough of JH's offense to say whether or not schematically he's out matching the opponent or not....but i do know that there are defenses in this league that we'll face that will be able to cover ground and eliminate space that he wants to occupy with play makers.

the up tempo, snapping with 30 seconds on the play clock is great...especially when you're in the process of putting a defense on it's heels....it sucks when you're not getting first downs or you need to run 2 min/4 min offense to protect a lead....so there's going to have be some nuance to how it's run, and why we do it....

anyway...i'm not really worried about it right now. overall, i expect the offense to look better.....

Reactions: seaofORANGE22
True, but didn't JH just inherit 3 straight top 20 classes? I mean there could be a dip in recruiting with him here, but if he can just develop the high rated classes he inherits will we even notice a dip?
For the record, I don't think we're going to see much of a dip. We'll be around 10th in the country like we always are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back