Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some OP earlier suggested he talked Elliott out of taking this job.
He may have. Dabo isn’t Saban. He relies heavily on his assistants whereas it really doesn’t seem to matter who does what at Bama (the sole exception being the slide their defense took this year but that’s atypical even with all the turnover). Saban is on a level where he could grab a random poster here, put us in an important position and still produce a top notch team even if we were actively trying to sabotage him. He is the engine that drives it all and it just doesn’t seem to matter too much who else is there. I don’t think Dabo is anywhere near him on that front. He’s good but he is much more dependent on his assistants.

They've been market manipulating forever. But now it's become a street fight

I’m not involved but I’ve been following what the guys are doing on WallStreetBets. During the latter part of the dot.com bubble and ensuing bear market I was on a message board called Raging Bull and to some extent we were doing the same thing. I learned all about average selling prices and other metrics for processors and computer chips and such. I had spreadsheets and so would have a good idea of what earnings would be when the report date came around. I could project price targets based on implied valuations.

I had a lot of fun. It was just a bunch of people doing their own homework and sharing it online. There were some smart people but you needed to pretty much check everything yourself because in trading everybody is out for #1. The most important caveat to trading and investing is that any given stock is generally worth what the market says it’s worth. The reality behind that doesn’t actually have to exist and often doesn’t.

Man i hope so. I hope we find another tackle in the portal just in case but as a whole i really like our OL in an isolation scheme JH will put them in a lot of positions where they are running against 5-6 man boxes.

Here is a diagram of one of the staples of their run blocking against a 3 man front or a 4 man front. A lot of people call this Jolt or Dart.

View attachment 346297

View attachment 346293View attachment 346300They like using the backside tackle to lead the charge to the 2nd level. Matt ruhle loves stuff like this as does Lincoln Riley. The 49ers do it a lot with kittle when he is on the backside of a run play. This also gives you a lot of options as an rpo if you trust your QB. They usually space out their slot options and have them shoot to the boundary so the OLbs or Inside corners have to decide instantly to go with them or commit to run on the inside. It’s putting a lot of pressure on those defenders and it’s a very easy way to get your RBs to the 2nd level quick or have a very easy 4-6 yard completion for your QB.

Hank in CandyLand! 😅 Where are all your Chaney reviews?

The truth is somewhere in the middle, I'm sure.

The most likely path was always going to be paying around $4M a year for a coach that has some warts.
agreed.

i think there's one thing we can all say for certain, and it's that there wasn't a single guy that we identified as the just HAD to have...the "not taking no" guy....that being the case, then they were never going the FU money route. i do think they got pretty far along with Franklin, and not sure just how far it got with Elliot, but i believe it made it past the "will you please take our call" phase....lol.

fickel, fleck, campbell...quick no's...

maybe one of those guys could have been 'the guy', but you can't get to 'not taking no' if he won't take the call.....so...it is what it is...jmo.

Yeah, think its more around Plowman and burning down the program to avoid Pruitts buyout.

Certainly going to make some of the mid-state recruiting a little touch and go to begin with.
Things seem to have turned out alright but we absolutely should’ve just fired Pruitt after the A&M game and given him his buyout. I like heupel but I bet we could’ve gotten Franklin or someone of that caliber.

The bulls traded for Rodman...... much different than the running around ganging up like goes on today.... it ruins a big part of the fun for me.
Trading for somebody/ signing somebody.. what's the difference? At the end of the day, Mike told Krause he wanted Rodman. Same thing Bron does with his gm's.

I agree, the buddy'ing up has ruined a lot of it for me as well.

Man i hope so. I hope we find another tackle in the portal just in case but as a whole i really like our OL in an isolation scheme JH will put them in a lot of positions where they are running against 5-6 man boxes.

Here is a diagram of one of the staples of their run blocking against a 3 man front or a 4 man front. A lot of people call this Jolt or Dart.

View attachment 346297

View attachment 346293View attachment 346300They like using the backside tackle to lead the charge to the 2nd level. Matt ruhle loves stuff like this as does Lincoln Riley. The 49ers do it a lot with kittle when he is on the backside of a run play. This also gives you a lot of options as an rpo if you trust your QB. They usually space out their slot options and have them shoot to the boundary so the OLbs or Inside corners have to decide instantly to go with them or commit to run on the inside. It’s putting a lot of pressure on those defenders and it’s a very easy way to get your RBs to the 2nd level quick or have a very easy 4-6 yard completion for your QB.

Hyatt and Jones are gonna have a lot of YAC’s in those sets.

Yeah I expect we'll see Beckwith get used a bit more. I guess like Newt said he'll become a HB, dude will lineup as a WR/TE/RB and feast on any slow LB or undersized DB that gets stuck in a one on one.

I also think our RB room losing Ty/Gray and getting a "clean slate" will allow for some exciting competition. Small runs hard and is a true north/south guy, and Wright who is incoming is an elite speed guy. Not to mention Cody Brown being an all around big back option too.
Burying the “all around” lead with Evans tho.

So any projections on what former staffers stay put?

It appears all the defensive assistants are already gone (Felton, Nieds, Ansley) not counting Steele since he came in afterwards

Offensively it seems like Tee & Jay are gone, wonder if Chaney will co-oc/OL coach? I also think coach O may stay on staff, probably moved to WRs

I mean idk man I'm just so bummed knowing it'll be 3 years at least before we are even competitive for the East. I'm sad
I thought everybody was going to..you know..act sensible for a change and be happy to have a guy getting us 8-9 wins regularly, and scoring lots of points so watching the Vols isn't like watching paint dry? I will be ecstatic with that for awhile at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back